Two weeks after three years?

Hi there,

I'm a softlines team member who has been with Target since 2018. I voluntarily went part time at the start of this year because of COVID spiking my anxiety (we had our first store TM case last week), but things are a bit too much right now for me as just one person. I'm basically the unspoken head of the shoe department and I work three days a week. Every day I'm not there, everything looks like a bomb hit it when I come in. Guests of course don't read the don't try stuff on signs. No truck was pushed, or stuff back stocked, things cleaned, or reshop done. Pricing is rarely done and I often need to choose between doing pricing or truck, or whatever my TL wants me to do because I don't have the time to do both.

We are in the middle of the transition for boots and such, and I mentioned to my TL they should consider hiring another dedicated shoe team member because there are multiple pallets that need pushing and I can't get to all of them. They probably won't do that, but I guess they had some softlines team members I don't know do shoes while I'm away on weekends and my days off. While I always appreciate some truck being done, it was done super incorrectly. Everything is over pushed and out of order, and all kinds of shoes are mixed up together, and put all over the place. Also, they don't clean up and leave soft lines boxes in shoes itself, and there's carts of reshop everywhere. When I come in, it's just more and more work for me and I can't deal with having all of the work inevitably put on me anymore, so I'm looking at options outside of Target.

I appreciate my TL and many of my fellow team members I've been through three years with, but when it gets down to the nitty gritty, it's a bit much for me. I would really appreciate any tips on how to put in my two weeks. Should I talk to my TL first? HR? I hate that I feel guilty for leaving during a transition and plenty of time spent here, but I need a job that works for me as I pursue new paths elsewhere.

Thanks for reading :)

Last edited:
I would have one last sit-down with your TL and maybe even the SD and express your concerns - depending on how the conversation goes, it could always end with you putting in your two weeks. HR would then be the next step.

Just know that you are def not the only one in this situation with regard to the shoe department. As someone who was a Footwear Lead for three years at my old job, Target absolutely gives shoes short shrift (lol). I am used to it now, but still when I go over to give it a quick zone at night I shake my head at what a clusterfuck it is. Our shoe DBO works their butt off but there is never anyone there on the weekends and with the way guests shop for shoes, it's just a no-win. The ONLY way to keep a shoe department looking good is schedule more people over there. At my old job I had a team of people including one full-timer besides myself and we worked hard from open to close to keep that department right. Granted, we were bigger and had way more units, but still, one part-timer is just never going to keep a shoe department on track. I feel your pain! Best of luck to you.

I would have one last sit-down with your TL and maybe even the SD and express your concerns - depending on how the conversation goes, it could always end with you putting in your two weeks. HR would then be the next step.

Just know that you are def not the only one in this situation with regard to the shoe department. As someone who was a Footwear Lead for three years at my old job, Target absolutely gives shoes short shrift (lol). I am used to it now, but still when I go over to give it a quick zone at night I shake my head at what a clusterfuck it is. Our shoe DBO works their butt off but there is never anyone there on the weekends and with the way guests shop for shoes, it's just a no-win. The ONLY way to keep a shoe department looking good is schedule more people over there. At my old job I had a team of people including one full-timer besides myself and we worked hard from open to close to keep that department right. Granted, we were bigger and had way more units, but still, one part-timer is just never going to keep a shoe department on track. I feel your pain! Best of luck to you.

Someone understands the pain! It's just a lot of work and they really seem to forget about the department, and it ends up getting trashed if not maintained every day. Some days I don't even have enough to get to truck because of cleaning and reshop. BLEH.

I'll talk with my TL. I've just been seeing conflicting things--some people say resign through Workday first, some say talk first to your TL, or HR. It's confusing, and I want to do it professionally.

But I really appreciate your reply. Stay strong haha

A leader would appreciate a heads up rather than resign on workday and then finding out there. Also if your getting this frustrated after 3 years it's best to get out now. Just make sure you use up any vacation if you care to wait. Call center,bank teller,receptionist,merchandiser and appointment setter are all good jobs to look into.

Back