Archived Understanding Vacation and P/H

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who gets Vacation time and is it paid or just time off. I've worked for a year no time off but my AVG Hours has dropped down to at least 28 from 32 since 4th Quarter... I want to take some time off but I was wondering is it paid or not. People say look on my pay check but it always says 0 VAC. Ive also heard you need to have worked 1000 hours or something. I've only gotten i think 500-600. Any help?

My understanding was that vacation begins accruing after you have been a regular team member for 6 months. If you hired in as seasonal, that would be 6 months after they asked you to stay on past the 4th quarter, basically. I believe the 1000 hours only applies to time off that's protected by the Family and Medical Leave Act of 1993 (time off to care for a scik family member, maternity leave, etc.).

When vacation does begin to accrue, you earn 1 week per year (as long as your average hours stay above 20/week) until you've been there a few years. You earn X/52 hours each week, where X is the number of hours you worked that week. Once it begins building up, it will appear on your paycheck.

Even if you haven't earned any vacation time yet, you can still take time off, it just won't be paid. You can put in time off requests at the eHR kiosk at your store. And if you have any specific questions about when you'll begin earning vacation based on when you started, your best bet will be to call the TMSC.

Im not going to worry about it. New position APTL assured that I would be accruing vacation time but I do have a question. Do TPS get the same holiday bonus Team leads get for working holidays? I cant ask him hes away for a while..

Last question :pardon:

So the bonus is 8 Hours paid(right?). So if my shift on that holiday is 8 Hrs, so the end result would be , (8 HRS + Bonus Hours (8)) x (Base Wage x Time and a half (1.5))

= (8 + 8)x(8.50 x1.5) Something like that right

Last edited:
Last question :pardon:

So the bonus is 8 Hours paid(right?). So if my shift on that holiday is 8 Hrs, so the end result would be , (8 HRS + Bonus Hours (8)) x (Base Wage x Time and a half (1.5))

= (8 + 8)x(8.50 x1.5) Something like that right

No.

The "bonus" is at your regular rate. Only the hours you actually work are paid at the 1.5x rate. So you would see on your check two lines: Holiday -- 8 hours (assuming you average 8/day that is) -- $8.50 -- $68
Holiday Premium -- 8 hours (assuming you worked 8 that day) -- $12.75 -- $102.00

Effectively 20 hours worth of pay for that day.

On a related note, please, can we all stop saying "double time and a half" for working on holidays? You are getting time and a half, period. You can't count the extra 8, since you're getting that regardless. If you only worked 4 hours you'd get effectively 14 hours of pay, which is "triple and a half"; if you worked 12 hours, you'd get effectively 26, which is barely even double. So, yeah. Time and a half, plus 8 hours that you'd get regardless. Thank you. :angry: (Oh, and if you had the day off, like most TLs around my district always do on every holiday, you'd work 0 and get paid for 8, which is "infinite and a half." Haha.)

Last edited:
No.

The "bonus" is at your regular rate. Only the hours you actually work are paid at the 1.5x rate. So you would see on your check two lines: Holiday -- 8 hours (assuming you average 8/day that is) -- $8.50 -- $68
Holiday Premium -- 8 hours (assuming you worked 8 that day) -- $12.75 -- $102.00
On a related note, please, can we all stop saying "double time and a half" for working on holidays? You are getting time and a half, period. You can't count the extra 8, since you're getting that regardless. If you only worked 4 hours you'd get effectively 14 hours of pay, which is "triple and a half"; if you worked 12 hours, you'd get effectively 26, which is barely even double. So, yeah. Time and a half, plus 8 hours that you'd get regardless. Thank you. :angry: (Oh, and if you had the day off, like most TLs around my district always do on every holiday, you'd work 0 and get paid for 8, which is "infinite and a half." Haha.)

That's correct! I forgot they changed recently. Old school thinking again!

No.

Was going on what someone at work as explaining it to me.(Someone not a team lead btw) probably didnt know what they were talking about thanks for setting it straight thought it was kinda too good to be true :\.

Last edited:
Was going on what someone at work as explaining it to me.(Someone not a team lead btw) probably didnt know what they were talking about thanks for setting it straight thought it was kinda too good to be true :\.

Ask your hr & see if you get the same answers. Just say that, my friend from another store told me about it.

Last edited:
TM's get 1 week of vacation per year (only after they have waited their Time in Position Waiting Requirement of 7 months) if they have over 20 average hours, and 2 days per year of Personal Days if you are 32 average hours or more. TL's get 2 weeks of vacation per year (only after they wait 4 months) and 3 days of PH with 20 avg hrs or more, and Exempt/Managers/Salaried employees get 3 weeks of vacation (Immediately date of hire) per year and 4 days per year of PH
Who gets Vacation time and is it paid or just time off. I've worked for a year no time off but my AVG Hours has dropped down to at least 28 from 32 since 4th Quarter... I want to take some time off but I was wondering is it paid or not. People say look on my pay check but it always says 0 VAC. Ive also heard you need to have worked 1000 hours or something. I've only gotten i think 500-600. Any help?

No.

Has it always been like this? I thought that if you work a holiday day, those hours don't count towards the 40 that you are normally limited to for the work week - so you can effectively work another 8 hour day and not hit overtime.

Or, work a double on the holiday, and end up with a total of 50+ hrs on your paycheck!

Yes, I know someone who did it.

Has it always been like this? I thought that if you work a holiday day, those hours don't count towards the 40 that you are normally limited to for the work week - so you can effectively work another 8 hour day and not hit overtime.

It has been this way for as long as I've been a TL, certainly (five years and change)--both the part I described and the part you described. Neither the hours under "Holiday" nor "Holiday Premium" count toward your 40. You can work as many hours as you want on the Holiday, plus 40 on the other days, and you won't get any "Overtime" on the check.

It has been this way for as long as I've been a TL, certainly (five years and change)--both the part I described and the part you described. Neither the hours under "Holiday" nor "Holiday Premium" count toward your 40. You can work as many hours as you want on the Holiday, plus 40 on the other days, and you won't get any "Overtime" on the check.

Snap, I should have done this haha

Dam, I averaged 30 hours per week this month and no vacation, WTF, is Target playing with or should I ask why I am not getting vacation, I've been there for more than 6 months but I took a LoA and have only worked 2 months so far.

Dam, I averaged 30 hours per week this month and no vacation, WTF, is Target playing with or should I ask why I am not getting vacation, I've been there for more than 6 months but I took a LoA and have only worked 2 months so far.

It is usually that you work 1000 hours and average approx. 20 hours a week is when you can accrue vacation hours. For team members, it is about every 40 hours you work you receive 1 vacation hour (pending state laws regarding vacation/labor pay).

Your LOA may have affected the total amount of hours that you have worked so far.

When Max tells you your average hours, is it taking into account 0 for week + 1, 0 for week + 2, and whatever you've worked so far for the current week? All of my previous weeks' hours are more than my average hours. Is there another place to see my average hours?

When Max tells you your average hours, is it taking into account 0 for week + 1, 0 for week + 2, and whatever you've worked so far for the current week? All of my previous weeks' hours are more than my average hours. Is there another place to see my average hours?

current average hours are on your paycheck

Thanks. I should probably pick up my check stub. It's probably so low because that's YTD average hours huh?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back