Vacation Request Issues

Sisyphus

Cat Herder
I have talked to two dbo's who put their request in for time off and in mytime the request shows as "pending" for them, while no request at all shows up for the leader who is to approve it so it sometimes gets auto denied. Any suggestions?

Cover all bases. Meet with the ETL and explain. Meet with the HR ETL and explain. Tell, don't ask, them you/they need the time off and you/they need an immediate confirmation. Be absolutely certain you document everything. Date, day, time, location, dialog, responses and confirmations. Take out your note pad and accurately write down EVERYTHING THEY SAY then get some coffee and relax.

HR can modify who gets what request dropped in to their mailbox. Position titles do mean something here - I can’t approve the FBTL to approve my PTO request, not that I’ve tried.. But if you’re GM all of the GM Leaders (TL and ETL) will have access to your time off requests, vacation pay outs, and punch corrections. If they can view them but they don’t have the approve button showing (this does happen occasionally) they can try again later. Usually when this happens there was a recent change to the request status. Another approved could’ve clicked approve or deny, or corporate has locked the request out to move it to auto-denied so the schedule can start populating.

At my store we tell everyone requests must be made a minimum of three weeks in advance, and can be made for up to 6 months. This gives the Leaders a couple of opportunities to get on a computer and see the request. We also utilize the monthly planner books to keep track of who has what weekend off. Not all of the Leaders know how to pull the time off calendar, but they all can write a name in a book. This helps to make sure that we still have a minimum amount of people to staff the store.

Leaders only have until early Monday to approve any time off requests for the schedule about to be written.

HR can modify who gets what request dropped in to their mailbox. Position titles do mean something here - I can’t approve the FBTL to approve my PTO request, not that I’ve tried.. But if you’re GM all of the GM Leaders (TL and ETL) will have access to your time off requests, vacation pay outs, and punch corrections. If they can view them but they don’t have the approve button showing (this does happen occasionally) they can try again later. Usually when this happens there was a recent change to the request status. Another approved could’ve clicked approve or deny, or corporate has locked the request out to move it to auto-denied so the schedule can start populating.

At my store we tell everyone requests must be made a minimum of three weeks in advance, and can be made for up to 6 months. This gives the Leaders a couple of opportunities to get on a computer and see the request. We also utilize the monthly planner books to keep track of who has what weekend off. Not all of the Leaders know how to pull the time off calendar, but they all can write a name in a book. This helps to make sure that we still have a minimum amount of people to staff the store.

Leaders only have until early Monday to approve any time off requests for the schedule about to be written.
That’s not how any one of this works.

Back