Archived Waiting outside TSC in the early morning

Status
Not open for further replies.
So my shift usually starts 5am. Our TSC door is about 100 feet away from the store's. Half of the time when I arrive at 5am on the dot, I have to wait at least 5 minutes for the LOD to come open the door. This is either by someone in TSC calling, a walkie outside the door (rarely, also one time they put a non-working walkie out there), calling the store, or ringing the TSC and overnight bell. I always don't punch in and do a punch correction afterward.

A few weeks ago, I waited 15 minutes. No one in TSC, no walkie, and get this... the phone hung up after one ring. The LOD forgot to put on the overnight bell. It's the same friggen time each day.

It's usually one specific ON ETL. This takes the cake... ON was on break and one of my coworkers was out there. They saw her and kept on paging the ETL and motion to her "one minute" with their finger. TWENTY-FIVE minutes later, she left! The STL actually paid her the full day for the trouble! But it hasn't gotten better.

Oh and we aren't in Bumfrick, Kansas. We are in a city. In the past 18 years there has been five murders within a quarter of a mile of the store. The most recent was late last year two blocks away! You can see TMs standing there from the highway and the road. ETLs can't see the parking lot from TSC (so we cannot wait in cars) and most TMs take the bus anyway.

Arggg. It pisses me off!

If ever there should be a call to integrity, I'd say it's this. Because it's preventing TMs from starting on time, it's placing them in danger the longer they're left outside & it's an absolute show of disrespect - that they're not worth the ON's time or trouble when the ON-ETL should KNOW that there are TMs coming in at that time & they should be up there to let them in on....the....dot.
If this were truly "Best Company Ever", heads would roll.

Technically the TM was in violation of best practices sad is it sounds.... Best practice is to remain in your car and wait until an ETL opens the door.... even if it takes a long time. Only option is to call the store from your phone while in your car.

At my store, TMs were *never* allowed to wait outside the door like that precisely because of safety. (our ETL-AP told us multiple times that this is a company wide policy) At my store, if you were caught waiting outside the door, it was a write up.

No one in TSC, no walkie, and get this... the phone hung up after one ring. The LOD forgot to put on the overnight bell. It's the same friggen time each day.

ETLs can't see the parking lot from TSC (so we cannot wait in cars) and most TMs take the bus anyway.

Best Practices don't always work in every setting.

Again, if the ETL-ON carried a copy of the day's grid, they would've seen that there were TMs coming in at XX hr & should've been near the door.

They should know that you would be coming in at that time and be prepared to open the door. Maybe either talk to the ON directly about this or call the hotline.

Technically the TM was in violation of best practices sad is it sounds.... Best practice is to remain in your car and wait until an ETL opens the door.... even if it takes a long time. Only option is to call the store from your phone while in your car.

At my store, TMs were *never* allowed to wait outside the door like that precisely because of safety. (our ETL-AP told us multiple times that this is a company wide policy) At my store, if you were caught waiting outside the door, it was a write up.

As someone who doesn't drive waiting by the door becomes the only option.
Anybody who rides a bike, takes a bus or is dropped off, is in the same position.

also, involve your APTL and DAPTL (or whatever they're called now) if your stl/etl can't fix it. ours is a parking lot/door rules nazi and so is her boss. safety is their top concern, especially for the early am folks.

On the flip side...It drives me nuts when people show up at 15 minutes before 5 am. You can't punch in until 5 minutes before your shift. I have a million things to get done in the morning and babysitting TSC for team members who want to come in whenever isn't on the top of my list. I have never, ever been late opening the door, but I won't open it way early either.We open our door at 5 minutes before the hour. If you get to work early, wait in your car until 5 minutes before the top of the hour.

...unless you ride the bus, in which case you won't have a car to wait in & - barring a public transit system with impeccable timing - you're unlikely to arrive on the dime so your choice is to get there early or late.
And we know what happens if you get there late.

Some people just aren't used to taking other forms of transportation into consideration. Yay!

At least if you have someone drop you off, you have a chat buddy while you wait in the car.

also, involve your APTL and DAPTL (or whatever they're called now) if your stl/etl can't fix it. ours is a parking lot/door rules nazi and so is her boss. safety is their top concern, especially for the early am folks.

APBP - Assets Protection Business Partner. :D

Do punch corrections for waiting for lod to open door. Make sure that you list as reason why. That will solve most future problems.

When I was opening LOD, I would arrive about 5:40 but not go up to the TSC door and open it until just before 6am. We were under very harsh directives that the door was only to be opened once the alarm was taken down, which was not to be until 6. If i had opened the door and disarmed the store at 5:45 words would have been spoken to me.

Our store has solved that problem. The LOD carries a grid, and has to stand by the door 5 minutes til and 5 minutes after. If your late, you have to call and talk to the LOD to beg them to open for you, but they don't have to until the next group comes in. This is completely fair to me...

We always had this exact same problem at our store. I was a little surprised to see it actually WASN'T our store heh. Years ago we would show up whenever we liked, use the walkie, and the LOD would let us in, no questions asked. I would often get to work 30 minutes early with breakfast in hand, and just eat it in the comfort of the breakroom before clocking in for the day. Our new STL brought in the rule that we had to wait until 5 minutes before our shift started, and THEN they MIGHT (might used in the loosest sense of the word) come up to let us in the door. Countless times we have had to actually call into the store at 2 minutes till shift start and get an agitated LOD saying "I'm ON MY WAY UP!!". By the time they got up there, let us in, and we made it back to tmsc to clock in we were always at least a couple minutes late.

I realize the 5 minute thing is probably best practice, but come on, get your butt up front at 6 till, work on paperwork for a minute, and let us in the STINKING DOOR!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back