Archived Wal-Mart restructures store management hierarchy, closes five stores

Status
Not open for further replies.

BadWolf4531

Fulfillment Expert
A slightly older article, but something I hope Target eventually follows suit on as we continue to restructure from the Steinhafel era. Link to the whole article is here.

Here's the part that caught my eye:

There are about five zone managers in a typical supercenter and those employees will be reassigned to either department of assistant managers, he said. The role of a zone manager has typically been to oversee a few departments and came about as an effort to reduce store count away from department managers that were originally part of the retailer’s store operational structure, retail experts said.
Lungren told The City Wire that increasing the number of department managers who look after just one area such as produce or electronics will allow managers to focus more on narrowly engaging with workers and ensuring their department is meeting customer needs.

However, I think Steinhafel had the job to restructure the org chart in the beginning was to cut back costs. Back in those days Target had limited concerns when it came to "expenses" and "compliance" until they realized the $$$ it was spending and how that would effect them so much through the recession. In my opinion Target has done a good job with this structure but would be nice to see at least one more added to each SLs and HLs in most stores.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back