Archived Wanting to move up!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am currently working in a store as a SF TM and have also worked SFS but I am wanting to utilize my experience and Bachelor's Degree and move into management - I am having a problem figuring out how to move up at the store level. I like the people I work with but obviously, I am willing to switch stores if I have to. I just haven't had much luck getting answers on how to proceed forward from my current management. I feel like I mention it and they essentially say "that's nice" and walk away.

Any advice is awesome!

I am currently working in a store as a SF TM and have also worked SFS but I am wanting to utilize my experience and Bachelor's Degree and move into management - I am having a problem figuring out how to move up at the store level. I like the people I work with but obviously, I am willing to switch stores if I have to. I just haven't had much luck getting answers on how to proceed forward from my current management. I feel like I mention it and they essentially say "that's nice" and walk away.

Any advice is awesome!
What else do you do to stand out? Just talking about moving up won’t do. Take initiative , cross train yourself , learn more about EnE, learn about reports and how can you improve those reports. What do you add to basket size. Saying you want to move up with really nothing to snow for Wong really help. I self-taught and was promoted within 8 months. Took project on my own and comunícate to the etls and stl about it.

This might sound a little negative but I really don’t mean it that way; are you pulling out all the stops and hustling through your entire shifts? Are you somebody who needs to be told what to do or do you tell your TL what you think you should start on next? What’s your attendance like?

*typically* TMs who have “the drive” and ambition, and stand out as the go to TM when we need something done NOW are the ones who get the time of day. However, some stores are a lot less appreciative of people who bust their ass everyday.

It also helps talk to the TLs and ETLs and get to know them, maybe find some common ground to build some type of rapport. Every once in a while I’ll have a TM I don’t know ask about promoting and they get the “that’s nice” answer.

I am a hustler at work - I get told all of the time that they "wish there were 3 more like me". I get along well with all of my TLs and I am told all of the time that I'm a valuable asset to the team. However, it feels like I am in a skit of "who's on first"every time I walk into the store for a shift or as a guest and ask a question. We have a new HR person who I know the name of but have yet to actually see working in the store (She's been there since October or November).
I went in again today because I've been left off the schedule completely for this week and the upcoming schedule and was told they would email HR. I again reiterated my desire to move up within Target. It's frustrating because I want to work but I'm not given the opportunity.
Unlike some people, I don't like to deal with this stuff when I'm in the store working because I'm not being paid to deal with this stuff but rather I hustle while I'm there and deal with this stuff off the clock. I'm former military so it's not in me to slack off at work.

Just to let you know. ASANTS but it is very common practice that Execs have their top picks already made for the next open positions. No real interview process. They instantly promote the person. In such stores, you have to really impress your Execs or befriend them.

Another tip is to get your TLs to talk you up to the Execs.

Target today just doesn't have the same promote from within mentality as it did 20 years ago. Its turned into store politics and kissing butt.

Just to let you know. ASANTS but it is very common practice that Execs have their top picks already made for the next open positions. No real interview process. They instantly promote the person. In such stores, you have to really impress your Execs or befriend them.

Another tip is to get your TLs to talk you up to the Execs.

Target today just doesn't have the same promote from within mentality as it did 20 years ago. Its turned into store politics and kissing butt.
Preach.

Luck is the biggest factor in moving up.
It's definitely up there lol. Right place right time can go a long way.

The other big factor is actually showing you aren't just "the guy they tell to get stuff done quick". That helps in them knowing who you are but, even if we all know this isn't true of everyone, they'll tell you that "Leads need to be able to lead. You're a good worker, but we need to see what you look like being in charge of something."..... Which is how you can get stuck "captaining" everything but seemingly getting nothing out of it, which is why a lot of people on this forum are disgruntled.

So yeah, at the end of the day, it's a lot of luck on whether or not your drive and work ethic turns into you moving up lol.

I just haven't had much luck getting answers on how to proceed forward from my current management. I feel like I mention it and they essentially say "that's nice" and walk away.

Hopefully you call them leaders or leadership not management when speaking to them. Target lingo is important.

I'd approach your team LEADER and express an interest. If they ignore you, move up the line ETL-STL. They have to at least provide you feedback. Plus you need your STL blessing to take on a leadership position at another store anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back