Archived Weighing pros and cons about accepting TL promotion. Advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone. A couple of weeks before my 1 year mark working for Target (overnight) I was taken by surprise when one of my TL came up to me and asked me about wanting to be a TL myself. I told her how I loved working there and would be very interested. She wants to sit down with me and give me more information and "start the process" but in the back of my mind I am wondering if it would be the right move for me. So I could use some advice and and input given your experiences. More money (and not having to beg for 40 hrs a week) of course is the big plus. But I know there is even more responsibility and stress. Our TLs are there about 12 hours a day and it probably all comes down on them when we don't come clean. What type of things should I be considering or should know about before the wheels are in motion?

Hello everyone. A couple of weeks before my 1 year mark working for Target (overnight) I was taken by surprise when one of my TL came up to me and asked me about wanting to be a TL myself. I told her how I loved working there and would be very interested. She wants to sit down with me and give me more information and "start the process" but in the back of my mind I am wondering if it would be the right move for me. So I could use some advice and and input given your experiences. More money (and not having to beg for 40 hrs a week) of course is the big plus. But I know there is even more responsibility and stress. Our TLs are there about 12 hours a day and it probably all comes down on them when we don't come clean. What type of things should I be considering or should know about before the wheels are in motion?

Is the area they're considering you for have a strong team? Are the stats green? When you go up for your annual, your review is tied to those scores as a TL. It does guarantee you full time status but you should decide if the amount of work/responsibility you'll get is worth the raise you'll get.

I am dayside so I only normally work 8 hours a day, but our overnight TLs routinely do 10 hours a day. Overnights may be on a 4/10 schedule instead of a 5/8. Being a TL is nice with regards to the pay and hours, but that makes you responsible for the results in your area.

Paperwork wise you have to do a "walk the vibe" book which takes about 15 minutes every other week. You also have to type 90 day reviews as they come up. Annual reviews really aren't a problem because, at my store at least, we get scheduled time offstage to type them.

The biggest challenge I could see for you is the coaching process. You sound like you have a story similar to mine. I was a cart attendant so I became friends with my fellow TMs. I then moved to GSA and now GSTL so that makes me responsible for coaching my team when they don't perform like they should. At first coaching was difficult but you get used to it. If you do get an overnight TL position just make sure that you would be able to seperate work from friendship.

I encourage you to go for it because Target seems pretty commited to development and honestly it has taught me a lot!

I don't know enough specifics I guess, not sure what area I would be TL in. For overnight we only have 2, one for the floor (flow team) and backroom. I started in soft lines and then was cross trained in electronics and finally now I mostly do backroom (my fav!). I am one of the most experienced TMs in the back now so maybe they would want me there so the poor TL isn't pulling 50+ hr weeks. My store's accuracy is the highest in the region right now but I still think all the noobs need a constant kick in the butt to be more efficient. My reviews have always been excellent and I have been chosen for employee of the month a couple times. But you are right about the extra work and responsibility. I live with my BF but still only see him about an hour a day as it is. So even more time away from home is one of the biggest factors holing me back.

I am dayside so I only normally work 8 hours a day, but our overnight TLs routinely do 10 hours a day. Overnights may be on a 4/10 schedule instead of a 5/8. Being a TL is nice with regards to the pay and hours, but that makes you responsible for the results in your area.

Paperwork wise you have to do a "walk the vibe" book which takes about 15 minutes every other week. You also have to type 90 day reviews as they come up. Annual reviews really aren't a problem because, at my store at least, we get scheduled time offstage to type them.

The biggest challenge I could see for you is the coaching process. You sound like you have a story similar to mine. I was a cart attendant so I became friends with my fellow TMs. I then moved to GSA and now GSTL so that makes me responsible for coaching my team when they don't perform like they should. At first coaching was difficult but you get used to it. If you do get an overnight TL position just make sure that you would be able to seperate work from friendship.

I encourage you to go for it because Target seems pretty commited to development and honestly it has taught me a lot!

Yes, my usual shifts are about 10 hours and that doesn't bother me since I like the work and enjoy being there. But like said the poor TLs usually do 12 hrs a day, I don't know how they don't burn out. But you are right the friendship things is another big factor which makes me nervous. Many of my TM coworkers have been there 5-10 years and they have been my mentors and we have become very close. Suddenly being their TL and telling them what to do and possibly having to coach them...I just don't know if how they will take it, if they will resent me and not take my direction seriously. I know this will definitely effect our friendship : (

Family is first, spot is second. Do the interview. See what they offered, then carefully decide about it. Think as a long term gig.

Good advice.
Doesn't hurt to take a shot and see what they have to offer.
If they can't meet your needs it isn't going to effect your job either way.

Any management position looks great on a resume if that's the kind of career path you want to choose.

As far as the stress goes, sure you'll be scolded and reprimanded on occasion, but it's a job just like any other in retail. They all suck. Why not get paid more for it?

Also, the fact that they approached you is a good sign. You're probably a top choice, if not the top choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back