Archived Well, I'm toast.

Status
Not open for further replies.

brobley

rubberball busted
Had terribly spotty attendance the last month due to illness. Took a few days off, hoping that would help in the healing. It did, a little. So I went back, too soon. Relapsed. Had to take another couple days off. Got even worse.

I called to enquire about an LOA, was referred to Hewitt and told to bring in a doctor's note. They added that I would be coached for attendance when I came back, and would be on CA, and implied I'd be back to flowside pushing, like it was my first week, when I returned.

They are encouraging me not to return, correct?

I don't blame them too much, they have a team to run. And I know I could fight it, but how hard do I want to fight for an $8.50/hr job that doesn't seem to want me back?

So, it's not official yet, because I want to see if TBR agrees with my intrepretation of what they're saying first. But I strongly suspect I'm the next one out.

Get the doctors notes, take the LOA, get well, go back to work and see what happens.
If they want to get rid of you, worry about it then.
I suspect they'll be happy to have someone they don't have to train and if your attendance is good things will be fine.

If during your LOA you can find another job all the better.
But most importantly get better.

I appreciate your advice, but... Target? I'm not going to fight for it, especially knowing if I go back they'll just try to fire me.

I'd rather expend that energy finding another job. I'm out.

I will check back here sometimes, because I like you. Keep up the good advice and great rants and support.

brobley

No, not eligible for much, and was already told I would lose all but flow shifts, basically starting at the very beginning but on Final Warning, if they took me back. And I'd have to beg them and do tons of paperwork involving details of my health care.

(mind you, my attendance has been terrible the past month; I recognize I'm unreliable because of that, and don't really blame them)

I'm an old man, been around the block, I'm sure I've got something else up my sleeve, workwise. (Note to self, new stripper name: Sleeve Workwise.)

Also, I married well. I don't need the money right away.

Actually, because I so much enjoyed writing this, it reminded me how much I liked writing:

http://www.thebreakroom.org/index.php?threads/the-vibe.7839/#post-117969

as I've enjoyed writing other things in the past (a hobby for all my life), I think I'm just going to write for a while, see what happens.

Have a lot of stories. Likely, I'll get drunk and drop one on you guys now and then.

Cheers-

According to my old HRBP - in order to put a team member on CA for attendance, the actions have to be egregious and there must be a history of documentation. The TL or ETL must first have a seek-to-understand conversation with the TM. This is where you would say you are having health issues. If your attendance issue is recent, without prior history, then I wouldn't worry too much. The ETLs may get emotional because they're down a TM but Target Policy protects their employees more than you know. Remember, the hotline is a tool to help anyone who is feeling violated. An ETL will pucker their cheeks if an investigation occurs from too many hotline calls. If you NCNS, then that's another issue. You can be coached immediately for that, with 3 of those resulting in termination. But if you call out, it will take many of those just to get a CA, however a note from your doctor cleans the slate ( side note - by law, they can not ask you for a doctor's note as that violates HIPAA).

Remember, bring in a doctors note if you can. Also, apply for LOA if you need to. I've had several TMs go on LOA just to go on an extended vacation to their home country. Another TM for surgery. They can not punish you for being sick, we all get sick.

Also, every Target Store runs differently. The store I worked at was very hard to get fired from, especially for attendance. If you called out, you were golden. Basically, you had to do something awful to get fired (i.e. fight, threaten TMs, steal, have intercourse in the store, etc).

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back