Archived well...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Things are getting to the point where my GL appears that he's going for the title of "worst boss I've ever had". So I guess It may be time for me to start job hunting, it sucks but that's life right.

I would put in more specifics but that would possibly ruin anonymity.

To some extent, and yes much like you store team members we really wish Target would make it a requirement to actually have some sort of job specific knowledge before trying to lead a group. I mean I sorta understand the theory behind requiring a 4 year degree, but that's gotta be substitutable for some real life experience. At the very least I'd appreciate seeing some sort of program implemented to recognize and potentially train those team members that demonstrate outstanding actual leadership on the floor. (TL's don't exist in DC's)

Hey Greenshirt - feel free to not answer this or to be as vague as you want, but as a new GL in E&F myself I would love to know what some of the things that frustrate you about you (or ANY) GL are? What can we as GLs do to make a good impression and help you guys? (My opinion tends to be if we aren't helping our team, removing obstacles and what not, then what are we doing there besides getting in the way?)

Well Sweedey, there's an old saying in E&F, really just sage feedback that I've got from people with over 20 years with Target, A GL's 2 responsibilities are .... Pay checks and Par Forms.

Now that's not to say there aren't a lot of little things that can help influence your team. I don't know your personal background so let me start buy addressing what I view as some of my present GL's opportunities.

Leadership: This seems to be the real contributing factor for some GL's to go down in flames, I'm not looking for a drill Sargent but I have been seeing a lack of any perceptible leadership skills. If I may recommend it, go to your local community college and take a quick class or two on leading a team, Target will be more than happy to refund you via the tuition reimbursement program. What you learn there will do far more to foster career growth than most of what i'm telling you.

Communication: As a mechanic I really don't expect you or just about any GL to know exactly what I'm talking about, but please remember I've already simplified things for you, there is rarely any need to further simplify information in a hand down. If some piece of information your fed sounds like B.S. it very well may be, feel free to ask for an explanation. If you believe that I'm just being an ass and over complicating things, ask me for a more concise explanation. When I ask you a question and you don't know, find out and follow up. Remember just because policy say's your team isn't supposed to discus some things doesn't mean we don't, if you feed two different stories to your team they will find out that your trying to play mind games.

Job Knowledge: Do your self a favor and actually read some of the PM's feel free to go with any of your people and observe them preforming the PM. Ask questions. You don't need to do this on a constant basis but try to watch one of every type of equipment being PM'ed, obviously some PM's take forever and it's just not practical to observe the whole thing. I don't expect you to know exactly what every PM entails but if you gain a working knowledge of what your crew does it will allow you better insight as to exactly what makes their job a pain at times.

Work Quality: GL's get there own PM's, you don't really garner much respect if your going to jump all over your team about their work quality if you sit in your office and pencil whip yours. Make your self seen and known the first few times your doing yours.

Brand: Like you've been told you are a primary ambassador of Target brand in the DC, please act like you have common sense when you try to enforce it. Now there's nothing wrong with the guys joking a little over the radio, and I'll be more than happy to agree that there needs to be limits. However there is a line between making your team understand what is appropriate and when it is, versus threatening to put the entire team on a C.A. during start up. Some topics you just don't share with your crew, while it may seem light hearted to tell your team all about summer break back when you were in college, is that the kind of information you should be sharing.

Safety: This is the most important thing in any DC! That's not to say we don't all get lax from time to time, but if your going to be known for having a pet peeve (all GL's have one) this isn't a bad one to have.

Planning: This is one of my present GL's greatest short coming's, the PM's at my DC drop on a rotating 4 week basis, that means with the exception on months that have a 5th week you will find it beneficial to partner with your peers and and remind them early that your team will bee needing certain equipment for maintenance. This communication needs to take place early and can be a real pain during fall season or back to school, but is essential to keep your building from going red. Let your team know if you've scheduled availability for certain equipment and when they can have it, for example weekly maintenance on an ART line can be preformed while inbound is on break, but your team will look at you like you've grown a third eye if you expect them to do the monthly in only 4 hours. If you come up with projects for your team please save them for a 5th week, it's hard enough to fill out a time sheet on a 5th week so 3-4 hours of project can be a real good thing.

Feedback: This is a 2 way street, provide and you will receive, fail to provide and you will not receive.

Conflict Management: Let's face it conflict happens between people at all jobs, it's part of human nature. If you see conflict developing take all possible steps to make sure your team members resolve it quickly. There's nothing worse for team building than long brewed contempt for a co-worker.

An additional trick that worked so very well for a former GL, who has regrettably been promoted since then, go get a project! Whether it's something as simple as building a new shed in your back yard, or as complicated as restoring an old motorcycle, get your self a project and share it with your team. I'm not saying invite them over to lend a hand, I'm saying bring in pictures talk with them about it one on one, share your success and failures along the way. Basically this is you demonstrating to them that you do in fact have a work/life balance with something that will interest them.

Ok, sorry about the long response but I just kept coming up with more to say.

ok, related question. Does anyone know what level of turnover is considered poor management by Target? In E&F you have 2 groups of employee's Mechanics and UA's this "leader" is looking at having turnovers of 80% and 50% respectively in a VERY short time frame.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back