Archived What are the effects of burning price changes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FailFaux

Go ahead for Backroom.
Had a co-worker suggest burning price changes when we were stuck pulling shoes for hours recently. I said no, but started wondering what would happen.

I know burning isn't something you should do, and I avoid it unless I know there's no need for 5,685 cups on the floor (looking at you BUCK). But I never thought about it in terms of price changes, always thinking about it in terms of CAFs/autofills. Would the item be backstocked and pulled in the next price change? It seems odd that RF apps let's you backstock items needed to go to the pricing team.

When it's time to do the Audits, those items will come up as "clearance" and be asked to be removed from said location/locations.

As for the "effect" of actually burning price changes, it will have the stockroom full of items that can/should be on the salesfloor, which I'm sure will upset the Backroom team/Backroom Leadership.

It can also affect price change metrics. Is he re backstocking the price change? All price change should be Pulled and Staged in the BR for the price change team.

If he's just leaving it on the shelf as a baffle, that can also affect inventory counts and On Hand numbers.

Your coworker is a lazy ass.

ETA: Eventually the re-backstocked price change will be added to another Price Change batch. Or someone will find it while using 12 steps or Low and Pro (right, that's what it's called?)

Last edited:
It can also affect price change metrics. Is he re backstocking the price change? All price change should be Pulled and Staged in the BR for the price change team.

If he's just leaving it on the shelf as a baffle, that can also affect inventory counts and On Hand numbers.

Your coworker is a lazy ass.

ETA: Eventually the re-backstocked price change will be added to another Price Change batch. Or someone will find it while using 12 steps or Low and Pro (right, that's what it's called?)
Yes that's what it's called. I forgot to say that's one of two other ways to detect Clearance. Another way is when someone has to do a Empty Detail Report and examines each section of the Backroom. Similar to Low and Pro, but more detailed and Thorough. Thanks Jenna;)

As someone who works price change fairly often...aahhhhh. PC is a PITA for the backroom; I know. But it all needs to be pulled on the correct day so it doesn't create a nightmare, especially in a store like mine, where it is not totally uncommon to walk into multiple vehicles of items that need to be salvaged.

Interesting, but all that makes sense.

He has his moments where he's doing basically everything, and other moments where he's doing minimal work possible. Morale is a major problem in our backroom.

If you burn it, it will stay there indefinitely, taking up space and not having a chance to sell before it goes salvage. At which point it will still sit there until someone looks up the detail report and manually pulls each item.

If you burn it, it will stay there indefinitely, taking up space and not having a chance to sell before it goes salvage. At which point it will still sit there until someone looks up the detail report and manually pulls each item.
And then the receiver will probably have an aneurysm when they get a sudden assload of salvage to find room for.

And then the receiver will probably have an aneurysm when they get a sudden assload of salvage to find room for.
Out of curiosity, what do they make you do with pricing salvage at your store? At my store, pricing boxes it up and adds it to the salvage pallet. If they happen to fill it up, they'll start a new one and all the receiver has to do is wrap it and throw it up top.

Out of curiosity, what do they make you do with pricing salvage at your store? At my store, pricing boxes it up and adds it to the salvage pallet. If they happen to fill it up, they'll start a new one and all the receiver has to do is wrap it and throw it up top.
Lately I ship 2 or 3 pallets out per week of salvage. My price change team and I work well together. I let them know if the batch will fit the current pallet or if we need to start a new one, also they will put the items on the pallet but I'm pretty particular about how my pallets are built so I often tell them to leave it for me to put on.
What drives me crazy right now is the etl ops insistence that GS salvage EVERY damn thing instead of destroying the broken crap. Common sense is lost on that guy, he even had them putting raw out of temp meat on my donation cart until I demanded they stop due to "silly" health concerns.

They box it and if they can fit it on the pallet they will. Sometimes they don't tape the bottom of the box and that's always a fun discovery. Like Going with the Flow, I get particular about how I build the pallets so I'll end up rearranging it later.

They're pretty good about letting me know when salvage is going to get heavy, but sometimes it happens at inconvenient times like the day after I've sealed the trailer.

Lately I ship 2 or 3 pallets out per week of salvage. My price change team and I work well together. I let them know if the batch will fit the current pallet or if we need to start a new one, also they will put the items on the pallet but I'm pretty particular about how my pallets are built so I often tell them to leave it for me to put on.
What drives me crazy right now is the etl ops insistence that GS salvage EVERY damn thing instead of destroying the broken crap. Common sense is lost on that guy, he even had them putting raw out of temp meat on my donation cart until I demanded they stop due to "silly" health concerns.

What is it with GS and thinking salvage is just another name for garbage? I get busted sterilite and half-intact infant stuff all the time and they'll mark it and put it on the pallet without a second thought. I get that overriding to destroy hurts our numbers and it needs to be reduce but some things need to be thrown away and gaming the system to act like everything's fine is shitty.

They box it and if they can fit it on the pallet they will. Sometimes they don't tape the bottom of the box and that's always a fun discovery. Like Going with the Flow, I get particular about how I build the pallets so I'll end up rearranging it later.

They're pretty good about letting me know when salvage is going to get heavy, but sometimes it happens at inconvenient times like the day after I've sealed the trailer.

What is it with GS and thinking salvage is just another name for garbage? I get busted sterilite and half-intact infant stuff all the time and they'll mark it and put it on the pallet without a second thought. I get that overriding to destroy hurts our numbers and it needs to be reduce but some things need to be thrown away and gaming the system to act like everything's fine is shitty.

Well in defense we were told at huddles not long ago that we need to not destroy so much stuff so if the POS says salvage we need to send it as salvage. I kid you not, why you are getting crap you shouldn't be getting. We were told let the POS do the work, it was not up to us to decide anymore.

I laughed but again spot stepping over dollars to pick up pennies.

Well in defense we were told at huddles not long ago that we need to not destroy so much stuff so if the POS says salvage we need to send it as salvage. I kid you not, why you are getting crap you shouldn't be getting. We were told let the POS do the work, it was not up to us to decide anymore.

I laughed but again spot stepping over dollars to pick up pennies.

I thought this was just at my store, but I am also not at all surprised to find its corporate wide. Let POS take over for common sense. Ridiculous

I mean, not forever. Should be staying up on 12 steps. I'd also see it on the detail that one TM recently backstocked an assload of clearanced items and kill them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back