Service & Engagement What are the paper things that are mostly the same size that cover the pricetag

No, I was wondering why the piece of paper is there to cover the printed side of the price. When I cashier I have to separate the two pieces to scan the price.

No, I was wondering why the piece of paper is there to cover the printed side of the price. When I cashier I have to separate the two pieces to scan the price.
I'm not exactly sure what you are talking about. Are you talking about price alterting stickers like repackage, online only, etc? The extra barcode will automatically change the price and mark the proper reason in the POS (clearance pricing is for every item, these tags are only for a few items) and then properly take it out of the system. Some items don't always get automatically added to inventory, I am thinking about online only items, or ones that are sold at other stores that get returned to yours, so printing these labels let's the system know you have them.

If you mean on the shelf strip, some people will use blank labels to cover existing prices on a strip, of they aren't putting the exact item based off the POG (ie flexing) and they don't want to destroy the printed shelf strip.

If your talking about something blocking the barcode on the product it is probably not the correct barcode and might be a bundle so they block the barcode for the individual barcodes so you scan the barcode for the bundle pack. I'm not sure it's hard to tell what you mean

I think it depends upon the garment. Kids and toddler pjs have an extra blue tag because of a law in California. Other clothes have the extra tag if there is something unique about the dying process of the fabric. I don't know know why the packs of Art Class socks have the second tag which makes checking the price really annoying.

Last edited:
You know, it wouldn't be too bad if the barcode at least was on both sides of the tag or something.

I get that they want the price to be hidden to prevent "sticker shock" and people result to looking at the price only after they've mentally committed to buying the item, so that's why the price faces the other stupid tag.

But just a smidge of barcode on the other side, Bri-Bri. Please, sir! May I have som' 'ore? 🥺🙇‍♂️

Aldi is known for having barcodes on all sides or really long ones. Be like Aldi.

You know, it wouldn't be too bad if the barcode at least was on both sides of the tag or something.

I get that they want the price to be hidden to prevent "sticker shock" and people result to looking at the price only after they've mentally committed to buying the item, so that's why the price faces the other stupid tag.

But just a smidge of barcode on the other side, Bri-Bri. Please, sir! May I have som' 'ore? 🥺🙇‍♂️

Aldi is known for having barcodes on all sides or really long ones. Be like Aldi.
The tags usually have information on them about the item. It's not about hiding the price. And not all products have the dual tag, even the same items. For instance, some of the Mens $6 Lyndale t shirts have a second tag and some don't.

so this to prevent sticker shock? Why doo they still do it most items are just the barcode & not a dollar amount.

Last edited:
Tbh I just wish there was more consistency with some of it. It's not style, but G&G for example: some barcodes are the back, some the side, and some the bottom. Why can't they all be the same.

so this to prevent sticker shock? Why doo they still do it most items are just the barcode & not a dollar amount.
Well, the double tags, no, but if they are throwing a double tag on it, they do make the price/barcode face the other tag.

I can't say this is exactly why we do it, but it's a psychological behavior practiced by clothing retailers everywhere so I assume we're falling in line.
And prices on a hardlines item is different than clothing.
There's intricately more reason to "hide" the price from you initially on clothing than on a bag of dog food or a cereal bowl. Our brains look at clothes with much more criticism and judgment, because we think of how we look in them and what others will think of us in them, so when you go clothes shopping, the first thing your brain notices is the design, and you only go in to check the price once your mind has decided that's appealing to you.
Jewelers do this too. The price tag is small and you need to really get close to see the price.
Our brains don't go through all this internal checking for decor or toothpaste - that's a whole different psychology that plays on our perception of value.

Back