What does working off the clock include?

Is a 2 minute text conversation considered working off the clock? A leader texted me a question while I was at work and they were not. Is even that considered working off the clock? I’m just confused because I’ve seen a lot of things saying it has to be a certain amount of time spent texting for it to be a problem but I don’t know.

Similar garbage such as: customer to TM on a break: "excuse me, can you tell me where the Keurigs are"? TM on break: "I'm not on the clock" then they walk away. Several other conditions come into play, if they quickly say they will get someone to help, fine. If they just ignore the customer then it really projects a shitty lack of professionalism. AutoTerm? get serious.

If the question was about schedule, then it isn't considered working off the clock (of course, if they are at home and you are working, it suggests that they are at home making a schedule).

I’ve seen many TL’s over the years call me when they are off to remind to do certain things. Recently My TL came on his day off and gave me a grid with the plan for the day. It was clear he had worked on it at home. If the TL does a good job, most stores will indeed look the other way since it would likely be a pain to fire the person and could cause negative morale.

I think some people take this to an extreme. I texted my ETL once, and she refused to respond till she saw me in person, at which point she told me she'd seen my text, but that if she'd responded, and I read her response, that would equate to me working off the clock.

Back