Archived What I Need to be a TL...?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been working at Target for a year. I've talked to my ETL and TL about my interest in becoming a team lead, and they agree that I have potential. However, we also know that I have a lot to learn when it comes to being one.

As background, I've worked just about every position possible on the HL sales floor. I've done hardlines, market, beauty, and electronics. I've done auditing, pushing/pulling/backstocking batches/adhocs/etc. I've zoned and done reshop. I've done sales planners. I've built bikes. As well as that, just recently my LODs have been letting me be in charge of hardlines for closing.

However, I know nothing about sales or anything that happens behind the scenes of being a team lead. When I spoke to my ETL, he said he would give me feedback after doing a mock interview that we just set up, and now I'm really nervous because I have no idea what to expect to be asked about.
I know this is very vague, so anything that you have to say that might be helpful is welcome and very appreciated.

Your mock interview will provide a great starting point for you. Your leaders can pinpoint things for you to work on. Also, sales are on the my device. You should check that every day.

Are you prepared to run the entire store as the only LOD on a closing shift? Because you surely will.

Last time I closed it was just the brand new hardlines TL trying to run the whole store on a busy Saturday night. That means helping the GSTL process 30 DriveUp orders, taking 400 guest complaints at once, trying to juggle 200 walkie questions from TMs, and answering about 1,000 phone calls. Translation: doing STL work for brand new TL pay. The STL might answer your texts or he might be having candlelight dinner at an upscale restaurant with his wife.

I wouldn't do it, at least not for less than $30 an hour.

Sounds like you already know a lot of it. You just have to be ready to use all that knowledge without any help or guidance lol. There’s more accountability. You’ll look at sales comps, and use them to see what needs attention. Bringing up your bottom departments etc. Acquiring and retaining talent is big too, and managing their performance. If your team has poor attendance, that’s on you, and if you don’t get it under control, you’ll be the one coached for it. Be the kind of leader they want to come to work for, and have the necessary conversations when they don’t. My team has the least attendance issues, because they know a shift with me will be fair and reasonable and a call off will result in a chat or worse.

When it comes to your team, do unto others... Less stick, more carrot, hold TMs accountable when needed, but remember a happy, cohesive team with high morale is a productive team. Good, veteran TMs are your best resource, their experience can be invaluable to you. Know your TMs, who you can trust and depend on, and who you need to keep an eye on. Take care of your TMs and they will take care of you. Good luck.🍀

Lead by example. Lead a guest centric team. Don’t let your team walk all over you and don’t forget to give feedback to even your ETL or STL when needed. (This is mostly advice to be respected as a leader).

Warning, it can take time to become a tl. You will be on bench, at first. As do everything that others had said & learn everything. We have several threads on this topic. Just search on upper right side.

there are few ways to be tl. one is they're desperate and they take the most trained person. flow/back room are likely because few want that position.

then its do enough work and they'll get you to tl. that way, its not so much you know anything, its you are the right person. they can teach you anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back