Archived What is life like for ETLs at your store?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to admit, when I first started working at my store I felt the ETLs were generally pretty evil. Just bitter and hateful to TMs at all times.

Now, however, I am really starting to feel bad for them.

Our STL basically rules them like a king. I was walking by the ETL offices today, and our ETL-SL came our literally crying. I was like "What's wrong?". (It was so bad I thought she just got news her parents died or something) All she said was "Huh? Oh you know.... just got chewed out again by you know who" She was referring to our STL.

Our STL is constantly on the walkie berating the ETLs. I have heard all kinds of stuff. Stuff that is almost threatening even. "Hey, <etl-hl's name>, you know you better get that project done today right?"

It is pretty weird, because he pretty much leaves everyone else alone. He is just constantly riding the ass of every ETL, and always making snide comments to them suggesting their job is on the line.

He pretty much uses the ETLs as slave labor. They are all regularly working 60-70 hour weeks. Just a few days ago plano team was doing a major set and our ETL-HL got on the walkie and told the STL that plano team had to go home because they were about to run out of hours. Then the STL got on the walkie and said "Well, looks like you're going to be here until close finishing it for them doesn't it?"

And it was legit.... He literally had our ETL-HL (who came in at 6AM that morning) at the store until the store closed working on the set.

I am just wondering - what is life like for ETLs at everyone elses store? At my old store, the ETLs basically came to work and it was a party for them. 30% of their day was spent hanging out at Starbucks, and another 50% was spent screwing around in their office usually chatting and gossiping. So it has been pretty interesting for me to see how the culture at this store compares.

Actually that kind of behavior probably makes the ETLs even more evil lol.

But yeah I don't think thats okay for the STL to berate their ETLs so TMs can hear... Not sure if DTL would like to know thats going on.

Actually that kind of behavior probably makes the ETLs even more evil lol.

But yeah I don't think thats okay for the STL to berate their ETLs so TMs can hear... Not sure if DTL would like to know thats going on.

Actually it seems like the DTL is all for it. From what I have heard, everyone STL and above in this district rules with an iron fist.

Hmm, well its definitely not an appropriate style of management. Bet they have high ETL turnover, I know I wouldn't put up with constant abuse.

Honestly if its as bad as you say, you'd think they could almost file for harassment....

If the DTL is onboard, I wonder what the Group/Region directors think... Hm.

Our ETL's all work 40-50 hours when it's not 4th quarter and during 4th they all work 60ish. Right now we have some awesome ETL's who are all global and who help out all over. On their closing nights whichever one is not LOD is zoning or putting away abandon the entire night and helps back up cashier. That's just what our STL expects so that we can get out as close to closing as possible.

I thought all my ETLs and TLs were jerks for a while and a few are but after I decided to take a step back and really look I learned that a few were just trying to get it all done.

No one knows exactly how much someone else has on their plate until they sit at that persons seat at the table or at least take an honest look.

As a PA I have been asked if all I do all day is walk back and forth, floor to coolers. Yes that is all I do :huh: I thought that was all ETLs did for a while.

I am sure TLs and ETLs are not getting paid all that much and as I have learned they have a lot expected of them. Some truly were jerks but I am trying to open my eyes more to get a better understanding.

I thought all my ETLs and TLs were jerks for a while and a few are but after I decided to take a step back and really look I learned that a few were just trying to get it all done.

No one knows exactly how much someone else has on their plate until they sit at that persons seat at the table or at least take an honest look.

As a PA I have been asked if all I do all day is walk back and forth, floor to coolers. Yes that is all I do :huh: I thought that was all ETLs did for a while.

I am sure TLs and ETLs are not getting paid all that much and as I have learned they have a lot expected of them. Some truly were jerks but I am trying to open my eyes more to get a better understanding.

Well OBVIOUSLY they're trying to get it all done, considering that its their job to ensure it does all get done....

Its about how abusive they are in ensuring that it does get done. As SoT said, the STL at his store abuses his ETLs, and that kind of behavior only rolls downhill (usually). Just because they're "trying to get it done" doesn't excuse bad behavior.

Well OBVIOUSLY they're trying to get it all done, considering that its their job to ensure it does all get done....

Its about how abusive they are in ensuring that it does get done. As SoT said, the STL at his store abuses his ETLs, and that kind of behavior only rolls downhill (usually). Just because they're "trying to get it done" doesn't excuse bad behavior.

You are right, I agree. I get that. I understood what SoT said. I just shared my experience and way of understanding and dealing with the jerk trying to get it all done. I've been with spot 6 years, I've had the pleasure of experiencing 5 STLs, 2 were terminated, 2 left on their own (as far as I know) and one is current. I have seen a higher number of ETLs leave (b choice and not by choice) and TLs are either diehard or runners. None are excused of bad behavior. If I had an STL like SoTs I would not be able to stay quiet. I would have a phone in my hand. I just understand (to a point) the pressure they are under. Not to excuse behavior.

We had a few good ETLs that were good people. Good in the sense that they would take time out of their day to talk to team members about their lives, how they were doing, planning for their future, etc. Usually this was with them working along side TMs. Some were even willing to learn Starbucks and Food Avenue so they could cover the occasional schedule ****up where there was no one available to give a break. People that actually cared about people more than 'green', 'yellow', or 'red'.

All either were promoted, or quit the company.

The current bunch are just technocrats; look at the numbers, and nothing else. If number gets bigger, good. Make number even bigger. If number gets smaller, bad. Make number bigger. They don't even bother to interpret the numbers, or question the validity of the statistics they are monitoring. And that appears to be the future of the company; creativity is bad.

We do have good ETLs, who help out with Team members and care about them. Sharing vacation experience and stuff.
Those personal human touches motivate me to work harder, since we get to socialize.
But other ETLs, who just talk about Red card all day, Green scores, and nothing else?
After talking to those, I don't give a poop about working harder. Just want to do my time and get done with it.

All the Etls and Stl (like 15+ at my store) are really awesome, they work A LOT and are really cool with every one.

ours have unrealistic expectations put on them, which are then handed down to us. no empathy - the "get it done or else" attitude abounds so not much sympathy at my store. then there is also the double unrealistic expectation exponent to the situation when they hand out tasks that they have no idea how much work they entail since they've never done it, but still expect everything to "take about 10-20 min max" no matter what.

**aside
we used to have a decent STL who worked almost every position a store can offer who was really great. also used to have ETLs that managed their workcenters - knew what was realistic and what was not and had a good rapport with the team. since that stl left everyone transferred or quit from the original group, the next couple waves have been all quits or fired, save for 2, i think, who got transfers.

Last edited:
My ETL staff sounds just like your previous staff. I feel for your current execs, what a shame.

ours have unrealistic expectations put on them, which are then handed down to us. no empathy - the "get it done or else" attitude abounds so not much sympathy at my store. then there is also the double unrealistic expectation exponent to the situation when they hand out tasks that they have no idea how much work they entail since they've never done it, but still expect everything to "take about 10-20 min max" no matter what.

**aside
we used to have a decent STL who worked almost every position a store can offer who was really great. also used to have ETLs that managed their workcenters - knew what was realistic and what was not and had a good rapport with the team. since that stl left everyone transferred or quit from the original group, the next couple waves have been all quits or fired, save for 2, i think, who got transfers.

My ETL staff sounds just like your previous staff. I feel for your current execs, what a shame.

that is whats happening at my store, these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back