Archived what should i have done?

Status
Not open for further replies.
a benched team member told me how he got on the bench. he claimed that 1 night while closing he had a talk with the etl-hr and found they were from the same home town. the next day the TM found himself in the office being asked if they had any interest in being a team lead. when they said yes, the etl-hr printed out a sheet and told him, he claims, these are the questions you'll be asked and here are the answers to give, then when he was in with the stl, s/he did the same thing. the interview wasnt as such and he was just on the bench.
he explained how it wasnt until he had that "in" with the etl-hr that he was able to get that advancement. likewise he claimed how the leadership went from being rude to him and treating him with respect once he was benched.
he told me this back in nov, its really eating at me, but i didnt want to lose my job either, as the stl is extremely shady and untrustworthy, and the pigs will send elmer to the glue factory if you know what i mean.

well it seemed to me like a favoritism .ethics violation. like he's just getting advancement for being from the dudes hometown. but after this long, im not sure if there is anything i can do but what should i have done when he told me that?

Has he also interviewed with the DTL?
Because being 'on the bench' is being signed off by leadership at all levels & he's merely waiting for an opening.
Also, how long has this TM been with Target?
Has he had any issues before he parleyed his 'in' with HR?
Sounds like he found an opp to allow HR to get to know him better.
Maybe his leadership didn't take him seriously before until HR decided to go to bat for him.
If he feels like his schmoozing got him where he is, why didn't he try this before?
Nothing you can do because - technically -no rules/ethics were violated.
At worst, he's testing the waters for ass-kisser.

You really don't have any proof except his impression that the reason he got the jump in was because he came from the same home town (though it is more than likely true).
There would have to be a pattern of discrimination, multiple people given favor, for you to be able to lodge a solid complaint.
With one person it is way too easy for them to cover their asses.

I would write it all down, keep it strictly dispassionate, dates, times, names, who, what, where, when, why, etc.
That way if you do see a pattern you have the beginning of a case to make.

Because being 'on the bench' is being signed off by leadership at all levels & he's merely waiting for an opening.
Maybe his leadership didn't take him seriously before until HR decided to go to bat for him.
If he feels like his schmoozing got him where he is, why didn't he try this before?

Not sure if it company wide but back in Jan we were told for bench positions you no longer needed to interview with DTL just store level.

well it seemed to me like a favoritism .ethics violation. like he's just getting advancement for being from the dudes hometown. but after this long, im not sure if there is anything i can do but what should i have done when he told me that?

No proof and no offense this is what spot does. If it bothers you that much sorry to say but not sure if spot would be the place for you to move up since favoritism means more than anything.

Last edited:
No proof and no offense this is what spot does. If it bothers you that much sorry to say but not sure if spot would be the place for you to move up since favoritism means more than anything.
This isn't exculsive to Target this is pretty common in the workplace. Welcome to the real world

Any work place if they like you, they will get you in. There is normally a positive reason why they like you, some slip through as bad apples. Take advantage of it if you can.

see i truly believed the black and white of target being the most ethical company in the world. but i guess it just that black and white. thanks guys.

Sadly but this is the norm at Spot. More times that not its now WHAT you know its WHO you know. Or more important whos ass you are willing to kiss. There are some people who are actually great tms who get promoted ...but more times than not they get lost in the shuffle because they are not willing to kiss ass.

DTL Interview is no longer a requirement. I read on redwire a few months back that they are no longer required for TL promotions

he got it in Jan, so maybe in our district it is? or thats my DTL's choice?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back