Archived What should I put on my resume for TL?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This morning I was approached by our STL who told me that one our of sales floor TLs (who he wouldn't name) is going to be gone soon. (I suspect it is going to be our electronics TL though based on rumors I heard....) He told me that he has been impressed with me and that I "run circles" around most TMs and that I was "on his list" of potential people to replace the TL that will be leaving.

He told me that he was highly interested in me because he knew I was a successful TL at my old store, but that because most of the ETLs at my old store have now left the company, he doesn't have much information on exactly what I did/accomplished as a TL at my old store.

So he told me he wants me to write a resume detailing my experience at my old store and to give it to him within 3 days.

He also asked me if I would be interested in the position, and I told him that honestly I missed certain things about being a TL and the hours and money would be good. Problem is he kept saying "I want you to know I am not offering you the job, you are just a candidate".

So part of me wonders if he has any intention at all of actually promoting me because this is the first time ever anyone above TL ever mentioned me as a possible TL, and I already know at least 2 ETLs who would be against it.

Part of me thinks I am wasting my time even doing this, but I am wondering what I should write on the resume? Is he probably looking for fundamental skills? (i.e. things that show I know how to do tasks, plan, etc) Or is this some kind of thing to tell him about situations? For example, in christmas of 2005 I had a ton of in stock issues so I solved it by doing whatever.

Also, has anyone ever done this for a TL position before or heard of it being done? Why does he want something in writing instead of just asking me about what he actually wants to know? I mean, he basically did not tell me anything he actually wants me to tell him about other than "what I did" as a TL... which is probably pretty much what every other TL does.

Resume detailing your Target experience? Hah. My 3 year stint at Target has 3 bullet points, detailing my time as a GSA. That's it.

Have fun with that.

Seriously he probably wants a "Win List". Did you fix/streamline/improve processes? Manage/bring up great talent? Laundry list of all your wins. You could probably start off with what dept you were over, what were your general wins - ex: "made the store green in AAR" but upsell everything good, gloss over everything bad that you can't skip. Did you knock it out of the park on a remodel? Fix equipment control? Consistently motivate a team to strive for results? That kind of thing. Also what could you hit the ground running on jumping right into the process; ie: was perishables TL and know xyz process, electronics TL, instocks or br tm, etc etc etc.

I would honestly go over the TL interview questions and you'll get a better understanding of what they are looking for.

How you solve problems.
Fast, Fun, and Friendly.
Are you capable of adjusting to changes easily.
Are you a good at inspiring a team.

Just a few things. Anything that you've done to reflect any of that would be great to go on your resume.

That is odd as one would think they would just ask you what they want to know at the interview. Just use lots Target jargen, I am sure you know the kind of crap they love to hear. Maybe pull some old reviews and gran the wins off of them.

SOT,
You're not a rookie. Look up the leadership expectations, pull an example from your time as a TL for each leadership expectation and go from there. You will have to go through a formal interview. Funny, when you worked for sony I seem to remember you dogging out TL's for what they do, now you want to be one? Pfffffft.

Yeeeaaahhh...

Not that I am up for any leadership posts by light years, but as a retail veteran in general this sounds highly...

...unusual...

Closest I have ever come to this was a leader/manager ( at a totally different chain store ) ask me *pretend innocuously* , "soooo...Shopgirl, this position is open and I hear you haven't applied...why not?"

So I took a hint and it's another story for another time, but suffice it to say that even my most encouraging and supportive leaders/managers/'superiors' have never just flat out approached me for the resume and all that jazz the way you put it...

Then again, everyone's different; I'm not you, and I don't know your leadership, so...

Do your research, put that resume together, get your game face on, and hope for the best but expect...well...you can guess the rest.

It depends on the store, my STL would have no problem informing others that someone will be gone soon, etc.
We just had a TM signed off for TL (bench), they had to have a resume detailing their time at Target.

I ended up giving the resume to him after working on it for 4 hours. Complete waste of time.

I gave it to him, he looked at it for about 10 seconds, then said "great. I will keep this on file". So I asked him if I would be getting interviewed for the TL spot. Then he patted me on the shoulder (like a freaking dog) and said "No, not this time. But I'll hang on to this" and walked off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back