Archived What would happen if a TL pushed a TM?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Out of curiosity, what would happen to a TL (who was angry) who walked up behind a TM, said "move", and used both hands to push him out of the way, so much so that the TM almost fell over?

Never a dull moment at your store....

It didn't happen at my store. Never said it did, did I?

I was watching the local news last night about a grocery store manager that did this to an employee and got caught on someone's cell phone video. They sent it to the news station, and the grocery store responded that it wasn't any big deal and the guy was a "good manager" as far as they were concerned.

I was just wondering how Target would handle such a situation.

as a corporation, target would have no choice but to fire the manager to aviod a lawsuit. The legal advisers would make sure that there wouldn't even be a discussion about the topic, no questions asked, that manager would be termed.

The local grocery store, is more then likely not a large corporations and wasn't thinking about the legal aspect in keeping the manager. I hope the employee has a good lawyer and let that SoB make some money off not only the manager who pushed him, but the company for not protecting thier employees.

Gotta love how easy it is to capture those 'special moments'.
Bosses have to be real careful these days.
Nice to know that they aren't the only ones with cameras.

I hope the employee has a good lawyer and let that SoB make some money off not only the manager who pushed him, but the company for not protecting thier employees.

Yeah, we've gotta make sure he gets a whole bunch of money because of this completely inconsequential incident. Heaven forbid someone who wasn't hurt have to settle for just an apology. That would be a travesty.

I hope the employee has a good lawyer and let that SoB make some money off not only the manager who pushed him, but the company for not protecting thier employees.

Yeah, we've gotta make sure he gets a whole bunch of money because of this completely inconsequential incident. Heaven forbid someone who wasn't hurt have to settle for just an apology. That would be a travesty.

sorry it isn't 1800s anymore and employers cannot treat you like dirt, he pushes the employee once and nothing happens. Ok that sets a precedent so next time the employee screws up or is in the way the boss can get physical with him? Please how would you like it if you were stocking a shelf and were told you were doing it wrong and your TL or ETL physically pushed you out of the way?

Sorry but its not acceptable to push anyone in the workplace ever.... Violence has no place regardless if someone is hurt or not. If someone wants to press charges, they should too. Spot needs to be afraid of its employees not the other way around.

sorry it isn't 1800s anymore and employers cannot treat you like dirt, he pushes the employee once and nothing happens. Ok that sets a precedent so next time the employee screws up or is in the way the boss can get physical with him? Please how would you like it if you were stocking a shelf and were told you were doing it wrong and your TL or ETL physically pushed you out of the way?

Sorry but its not acceptable to push anyone in the workplace ever.... Violence has no place regardless if someone is hurt or not. If someone wants to press charges, they should too. Spot needs to be afraid of its employees not the other way around.

When exactly did I suggest that the manager's behavior was "acceptable" or that he should be allowed to "get physical" with the employees with "nothing happen[ing]" as a result?

All I said is that the employee doesn't deserve money. He wasn't hurt. What he deserves is an apology and an assurance that he won't be shoved again--and that's all. It's likely that the best way to achieve that assurance is through firing the manager, and I would have no objection whatsoever to the company doing so--in fact it's what I'd suggest they do. But monetary damages? Are you kidding?

We do tend to get out of hand with lawsuits, but getting termed seems to be entirely reasonable.

When exactly did I suggest that the manager's behavior was "acceptable" or that he should be allowed to "get physical" with the employees with "nothing happen[ing]" as a result?

All I said is that the employee doesn't deserve money. He wasn't hurt. What he deserves is an apology and an assurance that he won't be shoved again--and that's all. It's likely that the best way to achieve that assurance is through firing the manager, and I would have no objection whatsoever to the company doing so--in fact it's what I'd suggest they do. But monetary damages? Are you kidding?

generally when dealing with businesses the best deterrent is the threat of hurting their bottom line. If they weren't going to lose any money they could just hire another ******* that treats employees the same way as the business in the OP seems to think that physically putting your hands on your employees is an acceptable leadership tactic.

so yeah it may seem petty but when you are dealing with people who only see dollar signs at every oppertunity that is really the only way to reason with them.

Let's take this scenario a step further, suppose it is an ETL pushing a TM out of the way in anger. No video footage available, it's the ETL's (who is in the wrong) word against the TM's, what do you think Target would do? Side with the ETL or TM who is the victim in this? Suppose further the TM got hurt as a result? Discuss.

Let's take this scenario a step further, suppose it is an ETL pushing a TM out of the way in anger. No video footage available, it's the ETL's (who is in the wrong) word against the TM's, what do you think Target would do? Side with the ETL or TM who is the victim in this? Suppose further the TM got hurt as a result? Discuss.

put the ETL on paid LOA while target investigates the allegations. Ideally an outside 3rd party should review it so there can be no accusation of HR playing favorites.

that is pretty much standard for any work enviroment and if it is being brushed under the table as no big deal you can always use the hotline

Actually they do deserve money if the situation isn't dealt with properly. The only way to get Target to care is to hurt their pocketbook. So in most cases Target will just fire the dumbass instead of having to shell out the $$$$$.

there's a guy at my store that works in the backroom that's really aggro. i had asked him a few times to do a pull for a guest and each time he would literally throw the item at me with force and let me know i was being a nuisance.

there's a guy at my store that works in the backroom that's really aggro. i had asked him a few times to do a pull for a guest and each time he would literally throw the item at me with force and let me know i was being a nuisance.

Maybe he should take a ride in the compactor....

Maybe he should take a ride in the compactor....

Code Green in the backroom! Redeye, we'll need degreaser.

*filling up more bottles, strolling languidly to BR with no sense of urgency*

There's tons of things you can do to do passive-aggressively mess with TMs of other teams.

Oops, I left three vehicles each partially filled with backstock that has garbage on it? Shouldn't have been a dick.

A hostile work environment, violent or not, is unacceptable under state and federal job regulations. The violence may be a criminal event, but who wants to be at the mercy of an unknown heavy handed employer? Always report workplace violence, and never accept it as a norm.

Great answer! Welcome, btw.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back