Archived What would you do if you could change target at will?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Go back to our old mission statement of just driving sales and allow stores to bank payroll for use through the entire year based on the operation of their individual stores. This profitable sales crap focuses you on cutting expenses. Volume will take care of lower margins. Stack it high and let it fly!

not stand back and watch the store fall apart with no back up cashiers, instead of walking around with a blank stare, i would grab a re shop cart.

luckily, at my store they all get together and will push discontinued back to school out when they get a chance.

I've been giving this a lot of thought, and here's what I have to offer as far a signing is concerned.

I think it is great that we have sale 3 x 5 signs and tpc 3 x 5 signs, but we shouldn't be limited to just those two. We need a third one, like fluctuating cost reduction (fcr) signing.

For example, say you have a jar of skips Peanut Butter. The label strip would say $2.04. We would obviously need an as advertised 3 x 5 with the wrong price like $1.98 as well as the sales 3 x 5 sign that shows the peanut butter is on sale for $1.50 from 9/1 thru 9/8. This is all pretty straight foward and you guys have probably predicted from experience that if it's on sale for $1.50, then it also needs to be simultaneously on temporary price reduction for $1.47 from 8/26 thru 9/22, of course a sign goes up on the label strip.

Here's where my idea improves upon the situation. We introduce yet ANOTHER price with different terms and dates and require MORE signing to be printed off and put up by the ad setup team. And we call it rotating value adjustment or something.

I personally would drop all the "cutesy" little terms of endearment such as "guests" or "team members" etc and refer to everything by their actual names: they're customers and we're employees... I don't feel any more warm and fuzzy simply because you call me TM; it doesn't really change my psychology at all, because I'm paid to be there and follow your BS rules! Same with the customers, they're not "guests" because this is not a hotel and they are not staying for extended periods of time... and while we "invite" them to shop in our store, we wouldn't invite them any more or less if we simply referred to them as customers. With that said, STOP harassing the "guests" with "CIHYFS" or pushing red cards at them. Be there to answer questions, and offer them the card if they want it, but if they say "NO" don't push the matter any further, PERIOD. We have one cashier that's like a used car salesman and won't shut up about the red card even after the guest politely declined and said, "No thank you." It's behavior like that, which in my opinion, keeps guests out. Also: we should have more employees covering the zones; I like your idea about excess cashiers helping us on the sales floor, because if you're required to zone multiple areas and aren't there for a customer, who has to hunt you down... they get pissy and take it out on you AND the survey, if they fill one out. It's not our fault, we're short staffed. We had TWO people in hardlines and three in softlines, how do you expect us to be EVERYWHERE at once? I also think, and this is for my own personal benefit, that every TM should be required to pass a quiz regarding the store's content and layout so they have a pretty general idea of where everything is. I'm new and when I ask the more seasoned people, sometimes they don't even know. How does that look to the customers? And yes we can search, which I was rudely reminded of by a jerk off TM, but it's so much quicker for everyone to ask, "Do we have grill brushes?" Yes they used to be in seasonal, but WHERE ARE THEY NOW? And it's probably not fair, but I'd like to get rid of the employees I HATE, because I know others dislike them too. ... "K" came into the break room and was like, "OH WOW, there are so many of you in here!" I said, "Yup." He said, "I was being sarcastic as I just took three back up cashier calls!" I said, very deadpanned: "Oh." It's not our fault... our scheduled breaks are scheduled for a reason. He's always "that guy" though; he trained me and said, "Well don't tell anyone, but I'm one of the best zoners here... a little better than (insert name here)" and I said, "Wow, good for you!" He's also the one who constantly wines because he, as if alone, HAS to cover people's breaks or come in when he's not scheduled or has to help softlines w/ shoes, when he has "A" to zone, which is the worst area in the store. Unless it's "G" he's zoning, then g is the worst... but in every scenario he acts a freaking martyr... it's like, "we're all busting our ass here too ya know!" and he says some of the douchiest things to everyone and is cited as being "the worst," which for the store maybe... but in the "real world" I bet he's kind of a p.... because the things he says would get his teeth knocked down his throat, but in an environment like Target where we're all "subdued," he's safe. He even openly insults/harasses the managers; which, at any other job, he'd be FIRED! He once said, "E... it's all your fault!" And she said, "I am your boss I do have the power to fire you," and he said, "No you don't! Try it... FIRE ME!" and she just stared at him. The little SOB is still there! And when he laughs, he REALLY has to emphasize it, which is annoying, you know he's over exaggerating his laugh, simply to make people aware, "Hey, I'm here... look at me!" He's a short, thin guy so I think he compensates by being loud and obnoxious... he's one of those younger community college guys w/ tattoo on his arm and a lip ring, he's really something... anyway I'm ranting: but I'd get rid of him and a few other ppl to clean the store up. If we did that, it'd be a perfect work environment!

it suggest to finish your learning plan. otherwise, it might become a performance issue depending on how strict your store is.

Last edited:
We always have guests commenting that we need more registers open. I always say that we could open them all but there would be noone working there. But we could open them all :crazy:

All SuperTs would be overnight.
Food E/Cs and cart wells would be price cut only. No more Sale in the middle of the set. Too much time wasted on additional signing.
All soda would get 7X11 signing. No more 3x5s that are on the floor by 10am Sunday morning.
All gum would go on sale at the same time allowing for 7x11 signing. Really 80 tiny signs?
All batteries of like packaging have the same DPCI. Cut out the stupid tracking with different DPCIs for check lanes and side caps.
Bring back one day per month of 40% off red and khaki. At the rate we ruin clothing at least give us a good deal on replacing them
Allow us to use the hours you tell us we need to do our jobs. If Planos workload says they need 150 hours for a set, give it to them. If you have a ton of sales plans due, you need hours for the backroom to pull and back stock. It is not "just another day". it takes more hours to work a 2700 piece truck than a 2000 piece truck, give us the hours. Same thing for other work centers. Headquarters tells us what we need, they should be able to allow for it.
Bottled water and coffee in the break room, always.
Training hours! If we can't train someone properly chances are they will not last. You cannot just pull a cashier or shadow a sales floor team member on someones first day. Schedule them in small groups, and 1 trainer so they can give their attention and time to training properly. Second and third training shifts on the sales floor can begin as shadowing and then let them go solo with some checking in.
Get a return policy and stick with it. Most guests would prefer to have the same policy than the ever changing one we seem to have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back