Service & Engagement What would you of done?

Considering this is the first time you've probably done this you're fine lol. Unless your AP ETL is a mega C*unt you're just going to get told to be more careful.
He was cool with it. This was last year for what it's worth. Someone just posted in an old thread. He was happy I called GS and a LOD

If I understand correctly, and might be an ASANTS issue, the gift card purchase limits are specific to a given type of gift card. The system triggers that the guest has reached the maximum for, say, Apple gift cards, but the guest can still purchase up to the limit for Starbucks etc.

What really has me puzzled is the prepaid debit (PPD) cards (branded as "gift cards" by American Express, Mastercard, VISA,). Unless I'm missing something here, is a guest allowed in a single transaction to purchase up to the limit for each brand/type of these PPD cards?

For example, if the daily purchase limit is $ZYX in American Express PPD cards (redacting actual dollars here), can the guest also proceed to buy the same $ZYX amount in Mastercard PPD cards and the $ZYX amount in VISA PPD cards?

I am cautious but not paranoid about using cash to purchase gift cards or PPD cards. My big concern here is: can a guest purchase a total of $2,000 in a variety of types of PPD and merchandise gift cards, by buying the maximum amount of each of the three PPD brand cards and a variety of merchandise giftcards?

Last edited:
If I understand correctly, and might be an ASANTS issue, the gift card purchase limits are specific to a given type of gift card. The system triggers that the guest has reached the maximum for, say, Apple gift cards, but the guest can still purchase up to the limit for Starbucks etc.

What really has me puzzled is the prepaid debit (PPD) cards (branded as "gift cards" by American Express, Mastercard, VISA,). Unless I'm missing something here, is a guest allowed in a single transaction to purchase up to the limit for each brand/type of these PPD cards?

For example, if the daily purchase limit is $ZYX in American Express PPD cards (redacting actual dollars here), can the guest also proceed to buy the same $ZYX amount in Mastercard PPD cards and the $ZYX amount in VISA PPD cards?

I am cautious but not paranoid about using cash to purchase gift cards or PPD cards. My big concern here is: can a guest purchase a total of $2,000 in a variety of types of PPD and merchandise gift cards, by buying the maximum amount of each of the three PPD brand cards and a variety of merchandise giftcards?
There is nothing to stop a guest from buying the limit and going to another lane or sco and buying the limit again. Heck they can get the limit at Target and then go to Walgreens etc.. to get the limit again.

There is nothing to stop a guest from buying the limit and going to another lane or sco and buying the limit again. Heck they can get the limit at Target and then go to Walgreens etc.. to get the limit again.
That's the paradox: if we happen to see a guest buying the maximum amount of prepaid "gift" cards, then going to another lane to repeat the cycle, we are supposed to alert a leader to what's going on. The problem is if we are busy serving other guests and aren't in a position to go to the other lane/SCO so they can pause the transaction to get a leader involved. It's even worse when a devious guest is playing this game at SCO. Our regular checkout lanes have a copy of the printed policy on gift card purchase limits, often it's taped up for the Guest Advocate to see, but new Advocates or TMs from other departments who are filling in during a rush often aren't familiar with or don't remember there are these rules against "structuring". The intent is to protect Target (the company) from legal liability for money laundering. Our policy seems to be stricter than at other stores. Once a store gets a reputation as a "go-to" place for buying large amounts of gift cards and prepaid debit Amex/Mastercard/Visa cards, word gets out among scammers and the risk escalates.

Back