Archived whats inventory

Status
Not open for further replies.
i keep hearing different thinks about it. when i was scheduled for it, my etl told me to scan everything to make sure it's in the right spot

You sound like you are prepping for inventory. Target has another company that comes in on a set date and inventories everything. They start in the backroom before the store closes and on the floor after it closes and they work overnight to count everything. But when they count, they count for whatever is in the area they're counting from. So, say they are counting bottles of aspirin and there are 11 bottles of aspirin in the aspirin spot plus 3 bottles of tylenol. Suddenly the counts say the store has 14 bottles of aspirin. This is why your department heads start working super zones prior to inventory and having TMs scan items in every section to make sure that items are where they are supposed to be. For example, making sure those 3 bottles of tylenol get back in the tylenol section. The reason they do this is because counts affect how the store is stocked from the DC. What if by accident there were actually 14 bottles of tylenol in the aspirin spot and 0 bottles of tylenol in the tylenol spot? The counts would say the store had 14 bottles of aspirin so instead of restocking the aspirin the DC will restock the tylenol but it isn't tylenol you're actually out of. It's the aspirin. That's simplifying things but hopefully it makes sense.

Inventory is the one night a year that we have a vendor come in and scan the entire store to see what we have. The difference between what the system says we have and what we actually scan is shortage. Shortage is money lost. What you are going to be doing is probably super zoning certain areas of the store prior to your inventory night. You are only doing inventory prep not the actual inventory.

Inventory is the one night a year that we have a vendor come in and scan the entire store to see what we have. The difference between what the system says we have and what we actually scan is shortage. Shortage is money lost. What you are going to be doing is probably super zoning certain areas of the store prior to your inventory night. You are only doing inventory prep not the actual inventory.

Nicely said and in fewer words. :good:

Does superzoning normally take a long time having to scan every item? jw

Aren't certain areas (like supplies etc.) done by TMs? The Photo Asst & ETL-GE were in the Photo storage prior to one of our inventories.

you also could end up doing SKU checks if you are working durring the actual inventory, basicly that means when the inventory team finds an item that wont scan or has no UPC on it they will yell SKU CHECK! and you would then come over and give them the OK to hand key a DPCI or take the item from them if you cant find a DPCI for it or its vendor product (magazines, maps, sunglasses, trading cards, etc im not sure if they scan the vendor snacks)

Aren't certain areas (like supplies etc.) done by TMs? The Photo Asst & ETL-GE were in the Photo storage prior to one of our inventories.

Consumables (Photo, pFresh, Sbux, Cafe, etc) are done as a quarterly inventory by store TMs/TLs. Everything else is done on an annual basis by the vendor.

Inventory is that once-a-year event to make the shareholders happy. (Target has its own inventory system. It's called research.)

Of course, the "best" part of inventory is having to zone afterwards. The counters make more of a mess than guests do. Yes, it's possible.

I always hear complaints that the counters always mess the numbers up. But one good thing about the SKU checks is that you can stand around with nothing to do.

I always hear complaints that the counters always mess the numbers up. But one good thing about the SKU checks is that you can stand around with nothing to do.

Yep, long night of booooooring. ><

Before we had inventory last year, my SrTL had me go around the store to find DPCIs for items that lacked tickets and print new ones. If you are given a cart full of items labeled "Needs Info," a PDA, a portable printer with white tickets, and a tag gun, don't be scared. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back