Archived When is it going to stop?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a HLTL at an average volume store. Recently with modernization, our store is in huge trouble. The floor and backroom are a mess, reshop is out of control, plus with hours being so tight, it's impossible to accomplish everything. I haven't been able to work on any of my sales planners because I spend most of my day pushing (or unloading) truck. My LODs are constantly pulling me everywhere, and sometimes I feel like I'm getting in trouble for simply doing something different than what one lod told me to do. I'm also pulled to help with SFS, which I actually enjoy because it's a nice break from being on the floor. A few of team members are bothered by the condition of the store and constantly ask what the plan is to fix it, but I don't even know what to tell them because nothing comes down to me from my etl or stl... I've been a TL for a few years and use to be able to deal with the constant workload but it's absolutely out of control and I'm tired of it. Does anybody else deal with this?

Last edited:
So my peer HLTL is struggling. Both inbound and their TMS can be lazy at times. It reflects. However, I can't feel bad for them when I see them walking around with leadership or sitting in an office , the electronics tm is consistently calling for help and there's no one keeping track of the work load. I've watch TMS stand around and do nothing even ignore call boxes. Can't help you if you aren't trying.

Lol it says in the guide dont muscle the push but how does the work get done? The team members that care enough about the job are rare. If you coach the poor performers they just cry and say you are being mean. Maybe Target should add a safety crying zone next to the break room.

Oh my God, I am honestly glad this happens at other stores (sorry.)
My TMs who do absolutely NOTHING (almost literally, unless you count hiding and being on their phones) break down into tears on the floor and then complain to HR and the Hotline every single time I call them on it.
I had a TM working a 4 hour shift not complete one single RTS cart, caught her on her phone a dozen times, over in a different department chatting a half dozen times, and then she was missing for an hour... and then had to spend a half hour meeting with HR about how I could have handled the situation so she didn't cry.
Now everyone just cries when I coach them. It's embarrassing.

My TMs who do absolutely NOTHING (almost literally, unless you count hiding and being on their phones) break down into tears on the floor and then complain to HR and the Hotline every single time I call them on it.
I had a TM working a 4 hour shift not complete one single RTS cart, caught her on her phone a dozen times, over in a different department chatting a half dozen times, and then she was missing for an hour... and then had to spend a half hour meeting with HR about how I could have handled the situation so she didn't cry.
I'm crying now 😭

All I can tell you is you’re not alone. My store has been in the pilot program for almost 2 years. It doesn’t get any better really. Best advice I can give you is to not take any of it personally. Come to work, do the best you can, and leave all of the stress and bullshit at the store when you leave. At the end of the day our positions, even as TLs, do not pay enough to take any of that anxiety with you home.
That being said. The bar is gonna be raised every year from now on and we can either adapt with it or move on 🤷🏻‍♂️

It's more common than it should be. These people will actually cry, at a place of work, when all they were likely told is a variation of "hey, I'm gonna need you to stop being on your phone, there's always work to do and I can find you something if you don't have a task right now. If I catch you on it again we'll sit down and talk about it."

My hope is that they actually feel embarrassed about themselves enough to toughen up a bit.

I'm a HLTL at an average volume store. Recently with modernization, our store is in huge trouble. The floor and backroom are a mess, reshop is out of control, plus with hours being so tight, it's impossible to accomplish everything. I haven't been able to work on any of my sales planners because I spend most of my day pushing (or unloading) truck. My LODs are constantly pulling me everywhere, and sometimes I feel like I'm getting in trouble for simply doing something different than what one lod told me to do. I'm also pulled to help with SFS, which I actually enjoy because it's a nice break from being on the floor. A few of team members are bothered by the condition of the store and constantly ask what the plan is to fix it, but I don't even know what to tell them because nothing comes down to me from my etl or stl... I've been a TL for a few years and use to be able to deal with the constant workload but it's absolutely out of control and I'm tired of it. Does anybody else deal with this?
You described my store and situation perfectly. All I do now is push truck with the hope I can get these 5-6 uboats done fast enough so I can set a sales planner that was due a month ago. Forget about the 6-12 pallets of transition freight that are sitting in the steel from things that were set a month ago. Then there’s the 80-120 price change batches that have yet to be pulled. But wait, forget about all that we need you to help out with fulfillment, or get carts, or backup guest service. It never ends, everyone needs help now all the time. Just give us some damn payroll Target.

I think given the choice between target at 15 an hour and fast food at 15/hour. What would people choose? Food service is hard and menial but at least you have seperation of labor.

All I can tell you is you’re not alone. My store has been in the pilot program for almost 2 years. It doesn’t get any better really. Best advice I can give you is to not take any of it personally. Come to work, do the best you can, and leave all of the stress and bullshit at the store when you leave. At the end of the day our positions, even as TLs, do not pay enough to take any of that anxiety with you home.
That being said. The bar is gonna be raised every year from now on and we can either adapt with it or move on 🤷🏻‍♂️

I'm all for raising the bar... but shouldn't something be in relatively working condition before the expectations go up...?

There are some very good ideas in this roll out (having designated areas, for one, to speed up the process and promote familiarity) but right now they're rolling it out in stores after they've cut hours so badly they've lost the best employees, demoralized the ones that have stayed, and the stores look like shit.
Wouldn't it have made sense to pad the schedules a bit to have the store in good order, staff in a good place and then start cutting back after a successful roll out…?
The company is making one of the toughest changes in corporate history at the exact moment the staff cannot handle it.

I'm all for raising the bar... but shouldn't something be in relatively working condition before the expectations go up...?

There are some very good ideas in this roll out (having designated areas, for one, to speed up the process and promote familiarity) but right now they're rolling it out in stores after they've cut hours so badly they've lost the best employees, demoralized the ones that have stayed, and the stores look like shit.
Wouldn't it have made sense to pad the schedules a bit to have the store in good order, staff in a good place and then start cutting back after a successful roll out…?
The company is making one of the toughest changes in corporate history at the exact moment the staff cannot handle it.
You’re not wrong lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back