Who answers the phones in your store?

Our store recently moved the store phone lines to the S&E service desk. At times we seem to be run ragged dealing with DU, OLP, self-checkout, guests in checkout lanes and so forth.
In your store, who is supposed to answer the phone lines and has it been hard to keep up answering the calls while also completing assigned tasks?

Our store recently moved the store phone lines to the S&E service desk. At times we seem to be run ragged dealing with DU, OLP, self-checkout, guests in checkout lanes and so forth.
In your store, who is supposed to answer the phone lines and has it been hard to keep up answering the calls while also completing assigned tasks?
Everyone. That’s the point of the zebra. The operator phone should barely ever ring

Everyone. That’s the point of the zebra. The operator phone should barely ever ring
Your point makes a lot of sense, but I don't think that's been happening in our store. In our store, all calls come to the service desk, except after hours when calls are routed to the LOD. ASANTS?

I'm presentation expert and I try to help answer calls as a GM. But NO MORE. I get the most random calls not related to sales floor like another store calling if they can borrow ink or refrigeration calling about the freezer door and need to talk to ETL. Like WHAT

Your point makes a lot of sense, but I don't think that's been happening in our store. In our store, all calls come to the service desk, except after hours when calls are routed to the LOD. ASANTS?
That’s super annoying... I’m sorry you have to deal with that. They got rid of the operation last year with the zebra phone roll out. That’s why the phone was moved to guest service because it barley rings

Luckily as a presentation expert I don't have to be logged into the phone app. But none of our GM team seems to think they need to be logged in either. Or answer calls when paged by guest service. So pog team (myself and one other TM) tend to pick up those calls for P2 areas. Softlines is pretty good about being logged in, and also tech & beauty. I can handle picking up a parked call, but the idea of answering it straight away riles up my mild anxiety.... there's a reason I am an excellent texter and it's not because I enjoy talking, lol.

I hate not having an operator. Nobody tained us on how to use the mydevice phone, yet we are all expected to use it. I end up putting everyone on speakerphone so i can use my device to find what they want. A couple weeks ago the device couldn't be used while i was on the phone.. I was like WHAT!?! Idk if its b/c i was using a different device, or if it got updated but I was happy to be able to use it the last time i tried. If I'm scheduled on the floor I'm logged in (as opposed to working in FF/OPU).

They put that stupid phone right next to the area of the service desk that I use to bag OPUs. So tempting to just pick it up and slam it down. Not that I have ever done that. (OK, maybe a few times. 😈 )

Mostly the TLs and HR/Guest Service.

My store has a hell of a hard time getting TMs to log into the phone.

Can't blame them, though. Hours cut, workload increased, favoritisim ran freely.

I had an ETL tell me to sign into the phone. Naturally, I told them if my department (SFS) was on the list.

Unless someone wants boxing tips on the phone, I don't care for the phone. We get complaints about the phone ringing for long periods of time.

Mostly the TLs and HR/Guest Service.

My store has a hell of a hard time getting TMs to log into the phone.

Can't blame them, though. Hours cut, workload increased, favoritisim ran freely.

I had an ETL tell me to sign into the phone. Naturally, I told them if my department (SFS) was on the list.

Unless someone wants boxing tips on the phone, I don't care for the phone. We get complaints about the phone ringing for long periods of time.

Aside from plain not liking talking on the phone, yeah, the workload thing. We've got a lot to do and I can't spend 20+ minutes helping you find some toy or the other especially if I don't work in toys. The odds are way too high for you getting a department you aren't in and naturally that would take even MORE time...

hr, if they are there. electronics, if hr isn’t there. also, we’re supposed to be all signed in, so usually myself (at guest service or service and engagement tling) or one of the other tls end up taking most of the calls, just because no one answers otherwise.

they hooked the large phone up at guest service. we refused to use it and then unhooked it and put it in the closet!

hr, if they are there. electronics, if hr isn’t there. also, we’re supposed to be all signed in, so usually myself (at guest service or service and engagement tling) or one of the other tls end up taking most of the calls, just because no one answers otherwise. ..... they hooked the large phone up at guest service. we refused to use it and then unhooked it and put it in the closet!
At our store, and I am guessing other stores, many of us at S&E don't have zebras and therefore are not signed in. They simply don't have enough zebras on hand so the S&E service desk and guest advocates end up sharing two or three zebras among our entire team. Our calls come in to landline phone at the service desk and sometimes doesn't get answered very quickly as our service desk people are frequently dealing with lines of people. Our store does receive a significant amount of calls, and while I've seen many get answered after many rings, I don't know how many are answered by TLs, ETLs or LODs on their zebras.

Our stores really should have an operator. Many businesses which place a premium on their quality of service place a big priority on answering incoming calls promptly and routing them as necessary. Disney actually has an official company-wide policy (including their subsidiaries such as ABC and ESPN) that during business hours, a live person always answers the phone promptly and professionally - no automated menu systems used at Disney operations during their normal business hours.

All stores should have an operator, and it shouldn't be GS because of the guest flow. But all stores also need to enforce the different departments picking up the damned phone when they are told there's a call the first time.

At my store, S&E answers the phones when we're able to, but it also depends on who is logged into the phone services on their devices. We transfer calls as applicable, but if people aren't signing in, guests will just be on an endless loop of nothingness.

Guest Services answers the phone and Halle-effing-lujah because it was Softlines before the change and it sucked. It especially sucked because Style gets maybe three calls a week while the VAST majority of calls each day were for GS, Electronics, Leadership, and HR, pretty much in that order.

For the most part as a store, we are bad at signing into the zebra. I gave it a shot a couple of times but after the second call that was not for Style, I logged out. If they page a Style call I will log in and take it, otherwise nope. And I feel not one whit of guilt because we got shit on for years and now it's Service & Engagement's turn, hope they are having fun with that.

I always thought forcing Softlines to answer the phone for the whole store was stupid, so yes, I am still Bitter, Party of One - GS can suck it.

Guest Services answers the phone and Halle-effing-lujah because it was Softlines before the change and it sucked. It especially sucked because Style gets maybe three calls a week while the VAST majority of calls each day were for GS, Electronics, Leadership, and HR, pretty much in that order.

For the most part as a store, we are bad at signing into the zebra. I gave it a shot a couple of times but after the second call that was not for Style, I logged out. If they page a Style call I will log in and take it, otherwise nope. And I feel not one whit of guilt because we got shit on for years and now it's Service & Engagement's turn, hope they are having fun with that.

I always thought forcing Softlines to answer the phone for the whole store was stupid, so yes, I am still Bitter, Party of One - GS can suck it.
Style and GM should be the operators and answer the incoming calls. I get we’re all guest facing but guest service is the most guest facing and I’m pretty sure while you’re putting away reshop you don’t have a line of people wrapped around the corner waiting for OPU, returns, or have a 10 minute issue with their target app. Again I totally get everyone’s busy but it’s so much easier for sales floor TMs to step away from what their doing to answer a call while guest service doesn’t. That’s why the zebra phones exist.... you log into your department and answer the calls the ring on your device.

If it were up to me the HR TM sitting at TSC all day should be the operator but that’s definitely ASANTS

Style and GM should be the operators and answer the incoming calls. I get we’re all guest facing but guest service is the most guest facing and I’m pretty sure while you’re putting away reshop you don’t have a line of people wrapped around the corner waiting for OPU, returns, or have a 10 minute issue with their target app. Again I totally get everyone’s busy but it’s so much easier for sales floor TMs to step away from what their doing to answer a call while guest service doesn’t. That’s why the zebra phones exist.... you log into your department and answer the calls the ring on your device.

If it were up to me the HR TM sitting at TSC all day should be the operator but that’s definitely ASANTS
But again, why should I be the one answering calls for the entire store, when most of the calls are for other departments? There are much, much less calls being paged on the radios now because many of the calls are for Guest Services. They were being paged constantly for phone calls which they had to answer anyway. The old way, I would have to stop what I'm doing to answer the phone, then call on the radio and tell another area they had a call, and guess what, nine times out of ten they would not answer it on the first page, so then the call would bounce back and I would have to call again. Now, GS answers the phone and probably helps most of the guests who call without having to transfer to another area. It is much more efficient.

I agree that every department should be logged in, but if they aren't it still makes more sense for the area that actually gets the most calls to answer the phone.

There are a few people at my store who routinely answer the phone, and it's not the front end. I usually forget to log in, but it's often an on-purpose forgetting because I hate the phone. Had phone coverage as part of my job in years past and if I wanted to still do that, I would be - the pay was better in those office jobs and I wasn't on my feet all day. Plus there's a reason my cell phone plan is one with very few minutes, and I still don't use those in a month.

But again, why should I be the one answering calls for the entire store, when most of the calls are for other departments? There are much, much less calls being paged on the radios now because many of the calls are for Guest Services. They were being paged constantly for phone calls which they had to answer anyway. The old way, I would have to stop what I'm doing to answer the phone, then call on the radio and tell another area they had a call, and guess what, nine times out of ten they would not answer it on the first page, so then the call would bounce back and I would have to call again. Now, GS answers the phone and probably helps most of the guests who call without having to transfer to another area. It is much more efficient.

I agree that every department should be logged in, but if they aren't it still makes more sense for the area that actually gets the most calls to answer the phone.
Yeah but ASANTS my old store had a constant line at guest service and the majority of the calls for guest service could be answered by anyone with some basic return knowledge or someone who could walk up and check the lost and found bin. At least if someone else answers they can tell the guest it’ll be a couple minutes because guest service is assisting guests currently where if the phone is ringing up front and they’re in the middle of helping a guest the guest on the phone is just going to ring and ring and ring. Being on hold is a better guest perception than just ringing forever. Don’t get me wrong I don’t think the perfect answer is to have any one department be the only person answering. Realistically target needs a legit phone operator but since that will never happen I really don’t think having the most guest facing work center that revolves around delivering the best possible guest service is the best place to put the phone

If GS was constantly being paged to answer phone calls, then the FRO wasn't doing their job. Four out of five GS questions don't require GS knowledge - such as basic returns like no receipt/cash payment, return policies, hold policies, coupons or cartwheel after leaving the store, reassuring people that GS is open until store close, hours for FA/Starbucks and no that damn unicorn frappuccino is not available, and no you can't return your air mattress for money back and I'm sorry yours has a manufacturing defect but we'll be glad to exchange it only.

Back