Why are the Minute Clinics in Target shutting down?

A Minute Clinic is a walk-in CVS clinic. They give shots, do screenings and exams, treat minor illnesses and injuries, etc. They do virtual care as well. More than a first aid station but fewer services than Urgent Care. They say they are cheaper than Urgent Care, too. Not for life-threatening emergencies, but a good place for a sprain to be treated or to get a flu shot.

Seems like CVS has been having some serious budget issues. There are only 2 free-standing CVS stores left in my area, which means the pharmacy at my store is much busier because of all the transferred prescriptions. Wouldn't be surprised if streamlining and getting rid of these clinics isn't part of their solution.

Apparently the Minute Clinic in my Target closed down. I only found out because I made an appointment at the minute clinic and my store didn't come up, which isn't unusual because I wanted the first appointment available and it often wasn't at my store. The first appointment available was at a cvs about 8 minutes down the road. While there I heard two CVS employees remarking that they were moving all the supplies from the Target minute clinic now that it was shutting down. The next day I asked at the front end if they heard the minute clinic was closing or closed and no one had heard anything nor was it advertised anywhere including on our website. It just seems like all evidence that it existed online disappeared. I haven't walked over to that corner of the store to see what they did with the office.

It appears so. Here in MN, a a bunch are getting closed. I spoke to one of the CVS guys who was there on Wednesday taking down stuff from our Clinic, and he said they they've been shutting down a whole bunch in the area, and are gonna be shutting down a bunch in Chicago after that. And they were all Target MinuteClinics, not regular MinuteClinics.

The clinic in my Target shut down, too, and I'm bummed. MN has rules about kids not being able to get shots from pharmacies (COVID vax was an exception), so for years the Minute Clinic was the best place for the four of us to get our flu shots at the same time (plus, $5 off coupons). Our normal clinic is remarkably shitty about flu shot scheduling lately so we ended up at another Target Minute Clinic this year and if they shut them all down I'm not really sure what we'll do.

I'm still bitter that Target sold their pharmacy to CVS who promptly got rid of the really nice pill bottles with the color-coded rings and the liquid med bottles with the caps that fit a syringe, when they could have taken advantage of the IP they bought and had a competitive differentiator, but no. CVS sucks ass.

I was unaware this was even a thing, none of the Targets 20 miles out from me don't have a minute clinic
This is a map of minute clinic locations. They are in some CVS pharmacies. When CVS took over target pharmacy, they also took over the Target clinics. Most Target clinics were in MN, I believe and maybe 5 or 6 other states. It sounds like they are closing down all of the minute clinics that were once Target clinics.

Attachments

• minute clinic.PNG
    minute clinic.PNG
    65.2 KB · Views: 15
This is a map of minute clinic locations. They are in some CVS pharmacies. When CVS took over target pharmacy, they also took over the Target clinics. Most Target clinics were in MN, I believe and maybe 5 or 6 other states. It sounds like they are closing down all of the minute clinics that were once Target clinics.
Odd, seems a few of the Targets near me were supposed to have a minute clinic but I don't remember any of them having it at all. Maybe my memory just sucks lol

Back