Archived Why do ETLs switch stores when they get a promotion?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've seen this happen a lot. But I've also seen some ETLs stay. Is this an option or required? I've just seen so many leadership changes in the few years that I've been with Target...

If an ETL is a top performer, they may be moved to a red store to try to fix whichever department needs fixing.

Most ETLs have to go through two, possibly three rotations at different positions before they can go for STL.

The ETLs that want to promote will be willing to switch stores. Since ASANTS, different roles and/or different stores will, in theory, give ETLs a broader scope on store operations and will develop their leadership abilities. Sometimes an ETL will switch roles and stores entirely, and sometimes they will take on the same role at a higher-volume store (this is especially true for HR and AP positions). An ETL can always refuse to switch stores, but they do so at their own risk.

A very rare case: A former fellow Hardlines TM of mine promoted to ETL and was placed in another store as an ETL-Hardlines. He then was moved to ETL-Logistics and finally to STL, all in that same store. I believe he is now an HRBP in that district. In this scenario, I think this was based on the needs of that particular store and the district, and it's not something that happens very often.

its a logistical issue. think of it like the bench for tl. they say you're ready but you need to wait for a position to open up. tl takes awhile but its usually <6 months before there's something that suits your strengths. a store has a lot less etl and they don't open up much.

a vast majority who want etl think of it as a career and will grab the title over store they'd prefer to work for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back