Archived Why do people always say they want to use a gift card and then pay by credit before I can scan it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What, you didn't know that we're supposed to scan gift cards with our minds?

At least if it's a debit card or a credit transaction over $50, you can have them hit "pay another way too" at the end so you can go back and scan the gift card.

Yeah, but they never do that. They just swipe their card while I'm scanning their items, approve everything, and as soon as I hit "Total," the receipt prints. Then they're like "Can I use my gift card now?" and I'm like "Um, I was going to, but you already paid the full amount . . ." Even when they do debit, they put in their pin and approve everything beforehand. Ironically, people rarely seem to do that when they don't have a gift card.

They don't realize that it goes through as soon as we hit "total". At many (most?) stores, debit/credit/gift card has to be chosen for the transaction to actually process. I've also never seen another store use STRICTLY barcode technology for gift cards, which is why other stores make the cashier (or customer) choose the type of payment....their POS only registers that a "card" was swiped, it doesn't necessarily read the type until it is told what was swiped.

At least if it's a debit card or a credit transaction over $50, you can have them hit "pay another way too" at the end so you can go back and scan the gift card.
With the new credit card readers, there is no "pay another way" option on the credit transactions.

With the new credit card readers, there is no "pay another way" option on the credit transactions.

I never noticed this. I rarely cash lately, and I haven't used my card since before we got the new readers.

Oh sweet lord in heaven when is my store going to get these?

"How else would you like to pay?"
"What?"
"You hit 'pay another way too' was that by accident?"
"I DIDN'T HIT THE WRONG BUTTON!"
"Must have been the computer's mistake then, so sorry about that..."

It's still there on the debit transactions, but it cut down on that.

But lately people cannot comprehend the "enter your PIN and hit enter or cancel for credit."

But lately people cannot comprehend the "enter your PIN and hit enter or cancel for credit."

"Hit the X, then hit CREDIT on the screen." At least once per transaction.

"Hit the X, then hit CREDIT on the screen." At least once per transaction.
I'm about to hunt down a label maker and print a huge CREDIT label with an enormous arrow pointing to that damn unlabeled X button

It says Cancel (X) but people still hit enter because the screen told them to....or they hit the screen where it says the word "cancel." But hitting the button with the X is apparently out of the question.

OR! They enter their PIN, and instead of hitting Enter (O) they add an extra 0 at the end, because that's what the screen says.

How it got so damned complicated all of a sudden, I will never understand.

Our pin network was down today and this woman came through my line and I explained that she had to choose the credit option on her debit card. She proceeded to type in her pin and run it as credit 4 times- each time I reminded her to hit the X. Oy vey and that was the first hour of my shift

You can always do a K6 on their receipt if you need to.

This typically winds up with them being temporarily double charged on their card till the first payment is reversed though.

If I see someone swipe their card too soon I usually suspend the order before hitting total and then explain to them that I need them to re-swipe their card after I have scanned the gift card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back