Archived why do they do this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My store is so shady. They post Team lead positions after they've already made up their mind that they are going to do outside hires. Why even bother then? There are so many good people at my store that have the experience that would make awesome TL but every time they try to apply, they get turned down. One person I know got turned down three times, but they have her train all the new team leads! They also make her cover GSTL break and lunches. How unfair is that. Its impossible to get ahead at my store, way too political.

This seems to be the common practice with a lot of stores as of late.

In my last 3 years at Target, my store did this practice for about 12 hirings.

The only people that have moved up at my store did so by going to other stores.

redeye this is so true. I only know of two people who ever made it to TL position (they happened to be married) and now they are etl's. They were super buddy buddy with the STL, and he made it known.

We've been through 3 Logicistics ETLs and 2 SF ETLs in the past two years, all replacements came from other stores.

Also when our TLs leave for other stores or quit etc, some hires have been from this store but they are usually TLs from other teams and they make the decision before they even post the position for applications and still take applications anyways, even though they have made their decision.

Last year we had a couple BR TMs who have been working BR at target for 10+ years in different stores. They posted a position for BR/instocks TL even though they had already made the decision to make the receiving/reverse log guy (1 year at target) the BR TL. You have to be very outspoken/buddy buddy with ETL/STLs like this guy, also he is the only receiving TM, sole position not really close with any of the other TMs.

One of our SF TL is currently transferring to another store to become an ETL. If you want a TL/ETL position, apply for one at other stores. They want their leaders to not be known/friendly with the TMs they will be instructed to slave drive. This is the main reason you don't move up at your own store very easily, they want you to have a professional relationship with the TMs, not a personal one.

Last edited:
I just want to make clear that a TM/TL cannot be promoted (to my knowledge) to ETL in the same store, they must be transferred in order to protect and "conflicts of interest" (referring to friends that one may have made during their time at a store)

This happens a lot, mostly because theres so many things behind the scenes that your never going to see. If they didnt offer it to someone in your store before going to an outside hire, they either felt no one in the store was at the right level to advance or they just dont like you/most TM's and would rather have someone else. Its always one or the other, whether your stores management would like to admit it or not.

I just want to make clear that a TM/TL cannot be promoted (to my knowledge) to ETL in the same store, they must be transferred in order to protect and "conflicts of interest" (referring to friends that one may have made during their time at a store)

This is what we all thought until recently.

You know what...deal with it. Do you really think this is any different in any other job place? I've never been in any job where they hadn't already decided who or how they were going to pick hires. However, they generally have to post the offering regardless, just to cover their asses.

I've never been in any job where they hadn't already decided who or how they were going to pick hires.

This is generally true at my store as well. :thumbsdown: That's life, though. I suppose the best any of us can do is try to be the person management already has in mind rather than the disappointed TM reading the opening announcement and knowing in their heart that the position has already been filled.

My store has actually been really good as of late about promoting inside. After a spree of complete disaster hires outside the company, our ETL's seemed to have got the hint. All our recent TL hires were promotions. I am now on a "development" track, so I am hoping things stay the same.

I understand that they have some already in mind, but why then treat other people as TL without the pay? Why scheduled them as a TL, as far has being a GSTL or running hardline during close, but not giving them the title or pay? my store does that, and I think its shady.

I understand that they have some already in mind, but why then treat other people as TL without the pay? Why scheduled them as a TL, as far has being a GSTL or running hardline during close, but not giving them the title or pay? my store does that, and I think its shady.

My store's been doing that for months with Food Ave. I've come to the conclusion that management just doesn't give a tinker's damn and have started applying elsewhere.

My store's been doing that for months with Food Ave. I've come to the conclusion that management just doesn't give a tinker's damn and have started applying elsewhere.

Dear Lady, honey, sweetie, darling. Havent i already told you that ost stores dont give a ^&%&$#@ about the food service area? xD But good luck. <3

You know what...deal with it. Do you really think this is any different in any other job place? I've never been in any job where they hadn't already decided who or how they were going to pick hires. However, they generally have to post the offering regardless, just to cover their asses.

Then you've worked at some incredibly poor places.

This is most certainlynot how it works at most businesses.

Dear Lady, honey, sweetie, darling. Havent i already told you that ost stores dont give a ^&%&$#@ about the food service area? xD But good luck. <3

We have a food ave tl :confused::confused:

My store (super-t) is super anal about food areas being run correctly and efficiently.

Havent i already told you that ost stores dont give a ^&%&$#@ about the food service area? xD But good luck. <3

Ach, you don't need to tell me: I see it daily. :disappoint: If only they'd just put me as Cart Attendant five days a week! I keep pestering HR to do it, but they won't listen to me: they say they need me in Food Ave. Pssh, yeah: to do the work they won't hire a TL for! :mad:

One tl quit yesterday because of poor performance. The tl was always complaining about not having staff or time to do job tasks. The stl had enough of the tl & starting enforcing bp on the tl. Some days, I feel like I am on thin ice. But, I am on the good side of the stl due to knowledge, speed, & fast resources to my job done. I have been in seasonal with bts & grill reset, all this week. Working real hard to get done fast. We are getting the group posse this week too.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back