Archived Why does Target let go of seasonal hires, yet still hiring at the same time O.O

Status
Not open for further replies.
maybe they are all a little different, which shouldn't be TOO surprising....

My store has let go of a couple-few, a lot have seen their hours drastically decreased, we are seemingly perpetually "hiring". ( "Hiring", if not actively and intensively looking for people who are qualified for certain positions, is at least a euphemism for looking for someone to fill a role in a pinch when, shall we say, someone's career trajectory doesn't necessarily go as planned... )

I've been with Target for over two years, and the only January hire I've heard anything about at my store was our new GSTL last year.

Most of our seasonals are gone now, but there are still several getting hours on the newest schedule.

Our store has a "now hiring" poster on our door.
I think that they have the seasonal people set so that, if a person is a great fit for Spot they'll be hired on. We've got a few seasonal hires that haven't been asked to stay.....but there are some who have been asked to stay.

Hiring for seasonal and permanent hirings are two different jobs....I think. Seasonal hirings give Spot a chance to get coverage for the "season" and if the person works out then that's good for Spot.....on the other hand sometimes seasonal hires aren't very good...so when the "season" is over Spot then has a graceful way of being able to let seasonal people go without the commitment.

Who knows.....maybe Spot doesn't know what he's doing!

I was asking a TL on Tuesday if her daughter (seasonal) had heard if she was being kept on or not. She said she hadn't heard (I haven't looked at the two week schedule, I will scream if they are still on it). But then she said that supposedly Spot is "required" to keep so many seasonal people on after the fact. Honestly, I think she's wrong about that, but I've seen stranger things...

People at my store are sent letters, either asking them if they are interested in staying.....or the letters confirm the last day of the seasonal work.

We have a permanent NOW HIRING! sticker on our front door. It isn't true. They just never take it down. They just do that so when one person gets fed up they just replace them. Who cares for the people that take the hour long process at applying right?

Simply...TURNOVER and HEAD COUNT.

Target thinks that retail is now high turnover and they always want a high head count for each store. So stores are always taking applications. Are they actively hiring everyday. Maybe not.

But the truth is the high head count actually contributes to turnover. Because stores are overflowing with TMs, they are not getting full 40 hr weeks. Not even 30. So TMs tend to quit to find better employment and hours. Hence always hiring.

I was asking a TL on Tuesday if her daughter (seasonal) had heard if she was being kept on or not. She said she hadn't heard (I haven't looked at the two week schedule, I will scream if they are still on it). But then she said that supposedly Spot is "required" to keep so many seasonal people on after the fact. Honestly, I think she's wrong about that, but I've seen stranger things...

At my store at least, We are not given a number of people to keep. We only keep people who are exceptional and let the others go. It's january and we are hiring for 10 positions. Mostly because a lot of our seasonal hires didn't work out or actually only wanted a seasonal job. I offered a perm job to 4 people who turned me down and said they would apply again next year but only wanted the extra cash for christmas. I understand but i wish they would have stayed!

Our seasonal people are finally off the schedule on the two week out! I love some of them they are keeping and a bit surprised at the others (flow must be desperate). But between them and college students going back to school, my hours are back where they should be!

Almost none of our seasonal people worked out, so they are already gone.
How's that for sad?
We are hiring but it's mostly for a few specialty positions due to people finding better jobs.

We had a flow team member NCNS for a cashier shift, and they still kept him. Whatever. That's their problem.

We kept a very low performing seasonal sales floor hire. His 25 hours per week could be much better divided among three good sales floor TM's to keep them on. If I am not on track for a promo to TL in the next two months, I'm likely going to leave as well. You don't have to pay people a ton of money per hour to keep them on, but they do have to be able to pay for basic living essentials. You can't do that if you're only working 25 hours per week at base TM pay.

Good question.

A lot of the seasonal TMs don't meet expectations, be it for attendance, job performance, some simply just don't want to stay on, etc...So they hire people permanently after the holidays. I was hired in January years ago as a regular TM for the sales floor.

When I worked in HR I saw that we constantly tried to keep a good amount of people's applications that were good candidates as potential status in case we lost people, which we always did...it's retail, it always has a high turnover. Best you can do is try to curb it slightly, so you're better off than your competitors. I was always looking for new TMs it seemed, not just during the holidays.

The seasonal TMs that are being let go didn't perform well enough to stay. They are hiring to fill positions. What's the confusion?

My store let go all of the seasonals which is kind of a shocker actually. They usually keep a few of them but this year they let all of them go..... Some of them were actually good TMs. I wonder now in couple weeks if there will be a now hiring sign if that is true that would be insane.

My store cut many of our seasonal folks this past weekend. A GSA and one of the better Red Card getting cashiers were on the cutting board. They also dumped the other guy hired to work softlines (he enjoyed working in shoes for some reason). Of course, I get called in to work a closing cashier shift last night since they basically didn't have anyone left to schedule. Kicker on the whole thing: the GSA on the front lanes last night was the TL for Food Ave (formerly the GSTL and still does the cashier schedules). Nice thing about her: if it got busy SHE hopped on a register and had the LOD watch the front end.

I was a seasonal starting in October but they asked me to stay. crazy enough, but it seems like even for a couple weeks there I was their "main" electronics tm. felt odd all of a sudden going to 35 hours a week closing almost every night compared to other seasonals. school started so I cut my availability down to 4 days a week. looks like they'll need to do some hiring

I had a weird experience with the seasonal hires. Last year, our seasonal hires were actually really good, we trained a bunch of them to pull, push, and backstock electronics, trained at least three of them to assist the backroom on shifts where they were categorized as flow. They could all unload the truck as well, and quickly. We only kept 2 of them on, and it was a great seasonal team.

This year, our seasonal team never unloaded the truck on time. not even once. we had a 1900 piece truck take 2 hours to unload one time, and it took the flow team 7 hours after that to finish pushing it. We didn't train any of them in specialty areas, unless you count regularly pushing toys as a "specialty" area. We didn't fire a single member of our seasonal team, we only had three of them quit. One of the ones they wanted to fire they couldn't, because she was covering somebody's shift who quit on the day they were going to fire her (very lucky for her).

It seems like spot keeps getting worse and worse. People I didn't even think were employable are getting jobs left and right. And I just found out new hires come in at only 11 cents less than I do, and I have almost 2 years with the company!

I don't know how many sales floor people were kept, but front end only kept 1 or 2 of the seasonals. I am glad that most of them are gone, I'm happier getting more hours. Here unless you're a TL or pick up every shift offered, you won't get 40 hrs, most weeks I'm happy to get 30 hrs.

We let go of everyone with poor attendance and kept 4(?) people, one of them was a cashier who I felt was not very good at cashiering but he got a bunch of redCards so clearly he had to stay.
We are hiring though but we had a few people transfer at the start of the month so we have to fill their spots.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back