Why is Target so bad at keeping items in stock?

Is it in the power of an ETL to appeal to corporate to have items go clearence? Seems odd to me some stores would clearence an item while others do not.

An ETL could try but it likely wouldn't result in anything. We usually get told to mind our own business and leave that kind planning to them. Items go on clearance at one store and not another all the time. It can depend on the particular layout for each store.

As an example, many stores clearanced out bulk toy items after Christmas that are only sold during Q4 in the toy dept. However, my store is still selling them all at full price because we have a toy flat area and those items moved from the toy dept to the toy flat after Christmas.

Another example: last fall I received 24 of one style toss pillow. I knew damn well we would never sell that many when the salesfloor capacity was 2. Toss pillows sell well on clearance but not at full price. I mySupported, asking them to allow us to sweep them back (I had tried to to do it myself and it wouldn't let me). Their answer was basically too bad, you are stuck with them because they will mark down soon so you can't send them back. And then they lied about when they would mark down so we sat in them for even longer.

It's not strange. If there's going to be a date disparity then the stores where sales are pathetic goes on clearance first. That's why stores don't honor each other's clearance prices.

There's no sense in holding the planters. The DC doesn't have a storefront.

In that argument, the issue isn't with the DC. It's with the buyers that purchased too much of a time-sensitive product in the first place.

I know they don't have a storefront. But they do have the ability to decide what ships when and how often.

This is why I ask for neither permission nor forgiveness.
same same...if something is off and I know it needs fixing my leader doesn't get a damn say in it because im a "Dedicated Business Owner"...so I own my area like I would if it were my business becaaaaaaauuuuseeeee that is how they told us to do it at first. Fuck a leader. I'm my own leader. They can tell me what to do all day but unless there is a ton of call outs and I need to help another section I am going to own my area like it was my business. That is the whole idea of the process and if they want to say shit I'll say shit to the DTL. edit: it's funny that we're basically managers without the pay...what the hell do my bosses even do besides work along side us and do exactly what we do all day haha...and maybe do a few conferences with district and the higher ups...they are nothing more than we are. I'm definitely leaving this company soon. I wish I didn't want to because my co workers are some of the coolest folks I've ever worked with but I refuse to be treated unfairly and be given so many tasks and then be looked at like hmm why didn't you finish? F all that.

Last edited:
Back