Will i get the position?

Okay so with all the changes coming full blown, we have lost a few leaders along the way. Gained a few NEW TO TARGET Etls, and our new STD Only trained on Modernization. I am interviewing for a consumables TL position that has been vacant for about 2.5 weeks. I have been in most department's but since DBO was a thing, I've been a DBO and trainer in market. I'm confident in myself, I guess my question is more aimed at the successfully modernized stores Etls and TLs. What exactly is the hardest part about the job? What sort of questions should I ask?

Any of Your thoughts are welcome !

Okay so with all the changes coming full blown, we have lost a few leaders along the way. Gained a few NEW TO TARGET Etls, and our new STD Only trained on Modernization. I am interviewing for a consumables TL position that has been vacant for about 2.5 weeks. I have been in most department's but since DBO was a thing, I've been a DBO and trainer in market. I'm confident in myself, I guess my question is more aimed at the successfully modernized stores Etls and TLs. What exactly is the hardest part about the job? What sort of questions should I ask?

Any of Your thoughts are welcome !

I think one of the most difficult challenges is trying to do right by your team while making Bullseye happy. I’ve had some pretty ugly conversations with my leaders (above me) about trying to take care of my team while doing everything they ask me and more. It’s not for the faint of heart. But it can be done.

The team is for sure the hardest part.

I lost half my team in the first few weeks because I expected them to show up to work. I legit had half my hours as call outs my second week. (I’m very experienced as a leader in general, if you have never held a management position before it would be very difficult to hold that line that quick.).

So I lost half the team and half my Starbucks team. We had to hire from scratch. It was ok because I expected it, but it took three months to restart and retrain. I’m still training certain aspects of modernization because I’m a super freaky btc and then fourth quarter right after.

But we got staffed in August and I’ve had a very stable team since and we are up over 15% to forecast since and comping very well in a non growth grocery market.

So getting the right people, holding them to standards without micromanaging (hard) and getting them to act like a team. It’s easy to put stuff on shelves well. It’s harder to convince other people to do it.

I lost half my team in the first few weeks because I expected them to show up to work. I legit had half my hours as call outs my second week. (I’m very experienced as a leader in general, if you have never held a management position before it would be very difficult to hold that line that quick.).

So I lost half the team and half my Starbucks team. We had to hire from scratch. It was ok because I expected it, but it took three months to restart and retrain. I’m still training certain aspects of modernization because I’m a super freaky btc and then fourth quarter right after.

But we got staffed in August and I’ve had a very stable team since and we are up over 15% to forecast since and comping very well in a non growth grocery market.

So getting the right people, holding them to standards without micromanaging (hard) and getting them to act like a team. It’s easy to put stuff on shelves well. It’s harder to convince other people to do it.
We fortunately have a decently reliable team.. it's keeping them in market that'd the hardest. Whether they get pulled for pricing, presentation, or closing experts (we have dbos with night availability) . They will stay reliable if given the right incentives. ... ie, HOURS lol

Update, I did get the interview, and he has me doing a 2 week trial period. He said he has no doubt that I can do the work. But it's delegating the team, going from peer to leader, that he's worried about. Mostly how they might react. I WILL KEEP YOU ALL UPDATED 😁

Man, this is the longest pat on the back I’ve ever seen someone give themselves.

LOL PLANOSSS. First, that wasn't very boastful at all. Second, it wasn't that long.

I did basically the same thing at my previous job. I came into a department full of bad attitudes and dead weight. In due time they shot themselves in their collective feet and peeled off one by one, with a helpful nudge from me if necessary. Then I snagged decent people from other areas and hired decent people from the outside and worked hard to get them all on the same page - unity, one team, helping each other, yadda yadda. I also only set to plan stuff that made sense or stuff that I knew District would be looking for, otherwise I did what I wanted and what I thought was best as far as merchandising, and yes, sales were up, clearance checkout went up, we killed it during BTS. Our backroom was immaculate.

Then three years in we had a change in upper management, leadership was shuffled around willy-nilly and I watched my beautiful department fall apart. Tragic.

The worst part is that the folks that are obviously not working as hard as we did and obviously don't know or care to know what they are doing, well they still have their jobs and are still geting paid the same as us, right? At least that was my experience. The lead who tanked my department was maybe talked to but otherwise no issues, still kept half-assing, and all my hard work just didn't seem to matter.

You guys think Target is bad? Sears was a hot mess. Talk about leadership cliques and absolutely no reward for going above and beyond. No raises for years. The only positive things for me were full-time status (so guaranteed 30 hours minimum) and five weeks of vacation. Only things that kept me hanging on.

Back