Archived Working Easter Sunday

Status
Not open for further replies.
The overnight team at my store got screwed out of having Easter off. This type of thing isn’t what pisses me off. Living the life of retail usually means not enjoying holidays so I accept it. What gets my goat about this instance is that originally we were all told that we were all getting that night off. But then the Target gods decided to take a truck that night anyway and scheduled all of us, didn’t decide to tell any of us, and Max still says we are all off. We just know we work because of the updated posted paper schedule. So no one who has families or made travel plans requested that night off since we were told there would be no work. I am never one to bad mouth Target, but this is a pretty ****ty move. A lot of my fellow employees have already said they are calling out, which is just going to make the night even harder, sigh. Is this type of crap common practice?

The good news is that you do not have to work the new schedule if you were not originally scheduled that way, and if you did not later commit to work. It might upset your ETL or TL, but the reality is that it was their mistake.

No easter off for us at Wally :( Getting home 7:15am tomorrow morning then having company over at 11am. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!

How long do you think it'll be before Spot decides to open?
The only way they wouldn't is if there's no profit in it.
@#$% Ferengis!

I doubt it will happen anytime soon. Target tested being open on Thanksgiving Day last year in the Denver market and it did not go well. Only made about 50% of the forecasted sales. This was essentially a test to see how well the company would do on a major holiday. It would cost a lot to advertise being open, so I would be surprised to see it change. To be honest, if we decided to stay open on normal hours on any of the three, it would probably be Thanksgiving, which sounds funny based on the info I just stated above. However, it is the only holiday that would make sense due to people looking for last minute food items, or to begin their holiday shopping.

If we were open on Easter, would that be time and a half?

That, I think, is the biggest reason why Target doesn't open on those huge major holidays. Not enough sales to make up for the MASSIVE amount of payroll you'd be dolling out. And we all know that Target's profit strategy is Expect more, Pay Less Payroll, so... :p

I doubt it will happen anytime soon. Target tested being open on Thanksgiving Day last year in the Denver market and it did not go well. Only made about 50% of the forecasted sales. This was essentially a test to see how well the company would do on a major holiday. It would cost a lot to advertise being open, so I would be surprised to see it change. To be honest, if we decided to stay open on normal hours on any of the three, it would probably be Thanksgiving, which sounds funny based on the info I just stated above. However, it is the only holiday that would make sense due to people looking for last minute food items, or to begin their holiday shopping.

Denver was not the only market open for Thanksgiving last year. And at our store, it went very well.

That, I think, is the biggest reason why Target doesn't open on those huge major holidays. Not enough sales to make up for the MASSIVE amount of payroll you'd be dolling out. And we all know that Target's profit strategy is Expect more, Pay Less Payroll, so... :p

Easter isn't time and a half

Religious holidays aren't time & a half.
Christmas is simply because it's devolved into a secular event.

Denver was not the only market open for Thanksgiving last year. And at our store, it went very well.

Are you saying you were open in the morning for the full day, or that it was just the Black Friday hours? Everyone opened on Thanksgiving for BF, but that is not what I meant. Denver actually ran normal business for about 1/2 of the day, then closed for a few hours, then re-opened for BF.

My store was sc**d because half of closing day side TMs called out, on Saturday. I was doing signing from 10 to 8, but I stayed until 3pm to help with 9am PCVs and do pull CAF. It is fun, when there is 7 people in the whole building.

The pulls last night were a whopping 1.5 hours : ) An upside to working the night after the store was closed all day.

Easter isn't time and a half

It's also not a paid holiday (regardless of whether you worked or not) for TLs. (The 8 hours we get paid for the other holidays).

One of the TLs in my store transferred from Denver. They opened at 9 pm on Thanksgiving Day.

One of the TLs in my store transferred from Denver. They opened at 9 pm on Thanksgiving Day.

They must have transferred in 2012. It was the 2011 Thanksgiving that Denver was open on Thanksgiving. Sorry for the confusion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back