Archived Working in Pharmacy

Status
Not open for further replies.
They had me cashier over there one time. I would never do it unless I had extensive training and the pay was good. Thankfully I didn't make any mistakes (ie; the kind to get Target sued) I just don;t think I could handle that kind of stress.

They had me cashier over there one time. I would never do it unless I had extensive training and the pay was good. Thankfully I didn't make any mistakes (ie; the kind to get Target sued) I just don;t think I could handle that kind of stress.

I guess I would just triple check they got the right medication.

I do backup cashiering in pharmacy when they are busy. I try to get smiles from the staff or guests. It can be stressful.
When working there, you get need the cert for pharmacy.(hipa)
When grabbing a bag:
1. Ask guests for their last name.
2 confirm name & address. I don't say it, just show it. Is this you?
3. Show or say what the script is(drugs).
4 questions for the pharmacist?
5. Ask to do the survey & use redcard rewards.

I've been trained to assist (during flu or allergy season).
As HLM says, confirm the name/address/med while observing HIPPA. Offer the surveys, etc. Give TMs the same privacy as guests.

I did it a long time ago, it wasn't for me, very stressful. But some people love it, its like working in a whole different place.

I bonded very well with my pharmacy team! I loved working back there. Any chance to escape from the madness that is the sales floor was a welcome change!

I'm a CPht (Certified Pharmacy Technician) and I just started training at Target. The pay is much better at other pharmacies and even the hospital that I used to work at. I think we make about as much as team leaders? (12/hr)
So far I love it and I can tell that it will be a great pharmacy to work at. There's a lot to learn, the atmosphere is laid back but professional, everyone works as a team and the work flow is pretty smooth. Not a bad job at all!

I do backup cashiering in pharmacy when they are busy. I try to get smiles from the staff or guests. It can be stressful.
When working there, you get need the cert for pharmacy.(hipa)
When grabbing a bag:
1. Ask guests for their last name.
2 confirm name & address. I don't say it, just show it. Is this you?
3. Show or say what the script is(drugs).
4 questions for the pharmacist?
5. Ask to do the survey & use redcard rewards.

Unfortunately best practice has changed. You can't show the guest the address, The guest must correctly read back 2 of 3 items on that label (Address, Phone number, DOB). This isnt done simply to confirm it's the right guest youre releasing to, it's to confirm that it isn't someone impersonating the guest. (ESPECIALLY if it's a C2 or C4.)

Also, best practice is to show drug names.

(Sorry, i'm very strict when it comes to pharmacy.)

I just got my License as a pharm tech, and i've been training there for a while; i LOVE it!!

I've been working in Pharmacy for a little over 6 months and was hired off the street with no experience whatsoever. So far, I'm licensed, but not certified (I have 2 years to do that in my state). It can get hectic at times, and you have to REALLY pay attention to detail, but I really enjoy it, for the most part. There is A LOT to learn, though!!!

Like the others have said, cashiering isn't too difficult, you basically just have to make sure you have the right guest(and check for more than 1 bag or other family members at the same address because they don't always get bagged together) confirm their info, and check to make sure the meds in the bag are for the guest listed ON the bag (because mistakes DO happen)...I also like to check the number they are expecting because inevitably, many are there to pick up a different number than are filled. The push now is for "genuine healthcare" so we are supposed to ask if they have any "healthcare-related questions" for the pharmacist, but I usually only ask that if it's a refill...on new scripts, I ask if they have any questions for the pharmacist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back