Working with ADHD

mizl

Beauty TM
Anyone else get to have this fun? How do you manage? I take a lot of notes, do a lot of highlighting, send a lot of "oh hey you weren't in but I have a question" emails. I've been very vocal about having it but a lot of my peers in leadership/the ETLS/store director are... pretty dismissive when I bring it up. I think it's hard for some people to understand that like - sure, there's plenty of stuff I can still do, even though it's harder, but there's some things that are sort of... beyond my capability, no matter how hard I try, and I have to make it work my way. I think there's still that perception among people that ADHD = being lazy, when (for me at least) it's like... being on the autism spectrum + focus + executive dysfunction. When you say "autism", people suddenly go oh, of course, I understand why stuff is hard for you. But ADHD... oh, you know, "everyone has their issues", "stuff is hard for everyone", etc.

ADHD, if you have a diagnoses which would include an action plan from high school or college, is covered under the ADA.
You can ask for accommodations.
Here is our thread on the subject.

So much fun, i get thru it by pounding a energy drink at the beginning of a shift and hope i get the majority of my work done before my mind turns to mush.... if i ever have anouther person working tech with me standing agreement is ill work the floor /audit you can focus on repacks/pulls/backstock then we switch if they want a break.

I'm just GM, so not much in the way of responsibility, but I've learned if I get more than 2 instructions outside of my normal closing routine (special projects, etc beyond zoning/abandons/1-1s) I have to write them down. My store did closing assignment sheets for like 5 minutes and they were awesome, but sadly didn't last long. I carry one of the little moleskines in my pocket to write notes if needed.

ADHD, if you have a diagnoses which would include an action plan from high school or college, is covered under the ADA.
You can ask for accommodations.

Ha! An action plan from high school or college! Imagine getting diagnosed before the age of 25 (I'm 30 now) and not having to struggle through school (and life) believing everyone who thinks you're just lazy and not applying yourself... no, I'm afraid I don't have action plans, but I do have a diagnosis. I've taken the disability training several times, I know I'm covered. It's honestly just hard thinking of what accomodations I might ask for. I always carry a notebook around with me, and until my smartwatch died I would use that to keep track of the break schedule/take verbal notes.

So much fun, i get thru it by pounding a energy drink at the beginning of a shift and hope i get the majority of my work done before my mind turns to mush.... if i ever have anouther person working tech with me standing agreement is ill work the floor /audit you can focus on repacks/pulls/backstock then we switch if they want a break.

I definitely slam a Monster Juice at the beginning of every shift, in addition to my meds. I miss being on the sales floor and getting to rotate tasks, I could hyperfocus on something and then switch to something new, hyperfocus on that, rinse and repeat...

Do you chew gum during your shifts? Many people ADD or ADHD find it helpful.

I do sometimes, but I have TMJ and inevitably it makes my jaw extremely sore, because the universe doesn't want me to have nice things. You just reminded me that somewhere I have a spinning d20 ring that I stopped wearing back in March for easier handwashing... I should dig that up, wherever I put it, it's great for fidgeting.

The CTT cocktail

- 20mg Adderall or Vyvanse
- 1 Bang energy drink, any flavor
- 1 8mg nicotine pouch (I prefer the citrus flavor)

Guaranteed to work or your money back (idk from who though)

Oh yes even better talking to someone over the radio "you have training to do , "insert name here" , do it after lunch. " ... log into training nothings been pushed to me, cant remember the topic or who said to do it. Oh well.

But yes I'll info dump at people about their tv choices, hardest thing for me to do? Unsorted repacks ontop of guest service task switching. I'm not one of the super organized adhd peeps, I'm super disorganized... to the point if its not attached to me ill lose it very easily.

In addition to the biggie, I also have ADHD and so far no effective, safe treatment and caffeine has only a mild effect on me. I have to make an external framework and a routine. Unsorted repack, I'm finding lots of space and like items go into grouped piles, which then are worked. Unless there's a genuine emergency, A is always done before B, which is always done before C. I'd make rhymes and patterns to help remember unexpected stuff. When I hit the point of overwhelmed and not knowing what to do, I'd take a few minutes to ground myself and reorganize in my brain what I have to do and how to tackle it.

I have ADHD and work in Starbucks. I have to keep a notebook with me to remember anything and usually I’ll bring a mini calendar too. I’ll use the first few minutes of my shift game planning my top five priorities and write them so when I forget what I’m doing, I can look to that. Oh also lots of caffeine. And lots of ice water after the caffeine.

Back