Workplace Violence

45 minutes before closing a fight broke out among 2 guests inside the store. It appeared the person attacked had been followed into the store by the attacker who came in screaming at the top of his lungs that "I m going to kill you m.fkr." 3 guests attempted to restrain the attacker as he screamed "i m going to kill all of you" ,and they were injured. It took police 2 attempts to keep the attacker out of the store. The screaming was ungodly horrifying. Guests were dropping their groceries and running out, tm s hid and cried, attacker threatened to return and bomb the store.. Today. Not ONE leader approached the 4 of us who went into hiding in the store . They only called in the TM who called police to fill out a statement and he was asked if HE was ok.
. I m now further traumatized. Am I over reacting?

Please do not put your leaders or anyone at fault for reacting a certain way. Like you they most likely haven’t experienced something traumatic like that either.
I would suggest approaching HR about facilitating chat sessions or even counseling for all TMs and leaders involved. I am glad everyone is physically unharmed.

Please do not put your leaders or anyone at fault for reacting a certain way. Like you they most likely haven’t experienced something traumatic like that either.
I would suggest approaching HR about facilitating chat sessions or even counseling for all TMs and leaders involved. I am glad everyone is physically unharmed.
Leaders talked among themselves and closer was given a buddy tonite. I would get simply and stared at and laughed at if I suggested counseling for something they are trying to ignore. I m already sick to my stomach most of my shift for the toxicity levels deeply established here. Still, This is a small town. Guests have already spread the incident I am sure. Our drive up will probably go thru the roof now and we ll have quiet foot traffic. Guests were injured as well.

Leaders talked among themselves and closer was given a buddy tonite. I would get simply and stared at and laughed at if I suggested counseling for something they are trying to ignore. I m already sick to my stomach most of my shift for the toxicity levels deeply established here. Still, This is a small town. Guests have already spread the incident I am sure. Our drive up will probably go thru the roof now and we ll have quiet foot traffic. Guests were injured as well.
Ok, well, good luck with everything.

We had a traumatic experience at my store before and they brought in a counselor for a few days that would talk to the tms that wanted to. Should the leaders have checked in on the tms sure but they are likely just as shocked as you. The only person I'd expect to check in on the tms would be the etl hr as the would have the clarifications of how to handle the situation from their hrbp and outside sources. Potentially the SD may do so as well. ASANTS but I think probably the only thing I see target do well is inclusivity, so I'm sorry to here you don't feel comfortable coming forward at your store. There are benefits target offers outside of the store level too.

Sorry that happened to you, glad that you and your co-workers were not physically injured. Could be that your leaders were told not to discuss the incident with anyone besides the TM who contacted the police.
I'm so sorry you had to experience this. I've seen guests getting irate with other customers in our store and start to follow them around and it always fizzles quickly, thankfully. Out at other retailers I've seen them flipping out on employees and shoppers. I've always taught my kids to look for exits and know them the second they go ANYWHERE. It's sad that we live in a world that is like this. I'm fearful for what my kids will have to teach their kids in 15-20 years.

I agree with what Black Sheep posted. If Target is bringing charges in any capacity toward the guest(s) involved they would tell those employees involved (even as witnesses only) not to speak on it to anyone. IMO, asking someone if they're okay is not the same thing and absolutely should have been done. However, keep in mind the TLs involved might be scared of saying anything for fear of getting in trouble or losing their job. OR they're also so traumatized they're trying to forget about it.

I'm so sorry you had to experience this. I've seen guests getting irate with other customers in our store and start to follow them around and it always fizzles quickly, thankfully. Out at other retailers I've seen them flipping out on employees and shoppers. I've always taught my kids to look for exits and know them the second they go ANYWHERE. It's sad that we live in a world that is like this. I'm fearful for what my kids will have to teach their kids in 15-20 years.

I agree with what Black Sheep posted. If Target is bringing charges in any capacity toward the guest(s) involved they would tell those employees involved (even as witnesses only) not to speak on it to anyone. IMO, asking someone if they're okay is not the same thing and absolutely should have been done. However, keep in mind the TLs involved might be scared of saying anything for fear of getting in trouble or losing their job. OR they're also so traumatized they're trying to forget about it.
Interesting turn of events...chatter that a crime may have been actually committed against the agitated young man...who may be on the spectrum...when "good samaritan" guests tried to restrain him. Injuries were had by all.

Interesting turn of events...chatter that a crime may have been actually committed against the agitated young man...who may be on the spectrum...when "good samaritan" guests tried to restrain him. Injuries were had by all.

Never, I repeat NEVER fucking restrain anyone.
I speak as someone with epilepsy who falls down and flops around on the floor.
If you try to restrain me, I could hurt you badly.
If you are strong enough to stop me from hurting you than you could possibly kill me.
What happened to Jordan Neely is a good example of what happens when somebody with good intentions does something really fucking stupid.
Just don't do it.

Those foam padded Nerf bats offer a fun way to whail on cunts without the added bother of felonious blood spatter and flying teeth, but in any case you’d better call Saul just to be on the safe side

...leader on duty who did not respond and was not seen until police arrived was apparently in a closed door office with the child of the attacked guest...at the behest of that guest ...the lod was asked by the attacked guest to take their child and hide...while the guest continued to fight physically with attacker.

SD made an appearance today. Said nothing. Traumatized tm who called out specifically because of the violence was...assigned to work in the department where it all took place. Never ever had they been assigned that department before. Sick. Aggressor threatened to return. No added security. No debriefing tm s to be extra watchful...this has got potential... negligence to do due diligence, calous disregard...written all over it if this nut returns.

SD made an appearance today. Said nothing. Traumatized tm who called out specifically because of the violence was...assigned to work in the department where it all took place. Never ever had they been assigned that department before. Sick. Aggressor threatened to return. No added security. No debriefing tm s to be extra watchful...this has got potential... negligence to do due diligence, calous disregard...written all over it if this nut returns.
Talk to hr. Clearly your etls are out of touch and don’t realize how many tms this affected.

Beneath contempt. Beyond sad. Sorry you have such rotten management at your store.

Talk to hr. Clearly your etls are out of touch and don’t realize how many tms this affected.
HRetl the same one who told tm s they can't leave a negative review on Survey if they hadn't already talked to their TL about a matter. Corruption starts in that office. Disgusting. This staff is mostly under 25. They speak to whom they trust. And now their opportunity to safely find their voice is again threatened from within. Disgusting.

HRetl the same one who told tm s they can't leave a negative review on Survey if they hadn't already talked to their TL about a matter. Corruption starts in that office. Disgusting. This staff is mostly under 25. They speak to whom they trust. And now their opportunity to safely find their voice is again threatened from within. Disgusting.
It is disgusting. I don’t have much/any faith in the Hotline, but what your leadership is doing regarding the survey is completely outrageous, and if someone could contact the Hotline in a confidential manner that could not be tracked back to them for retaliation (and that could definitely happen), this is one of the few instances that I would recommend trying it. I worked at another retailer where the (equivalent of an ETL) manager had their friends and family fill out customer service surveys to make the store look like customer service was better than it actually was. The company found out and the manager was fired. One can only hope that Spot might show that much integrity, and since they are paying for the surveys, perhaps they might. Not worth risking your job over it, but it’s a thought. Good luck!

Back