Archived Would you leave Target for a totally different job if.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hypothetical question. (after another experience with a guest who pretty much told me he was better than me because he works for the electric company)

Would you leave target for a job as a judge/IT technician/plumber/electrician/cop/fire fighter/social worker/any other job that requires an advanced degree - *if* the pay and benefits were exactly the same as you make at target right now? So in other words, you might be an IT tech, but you have the exact same pay and benefits as target. Would you actually want the job?

You know, everyone at my store always falls for this game. I always hear TMs say "if I had a degree....." like having a degree is the best thing in the world, and the jobs you get with it are the best thing in the world. So if it weren't for extremely high pay and benefits, would anyone actually want these jobs? I know I would not. The fact is, most of these jobs are stressful and full of BS and require 50+ hour work weeks with no overtime due to salary.

I have to admit, I get a little pissed at the occasional guest who acts like they are better than me because of their job..... but once I actually think about it, my job (as far as the actual work environment) is far better than theirs. They may make more, but ultimately I have the better job.

My mom always said that the difference between a job & a career: a career is a job that you enjoy so much that you almost don't care what you make.
I have a job; just haven't found that career yet.

I would definitely take a job in my field with the same pay. I have a BS in Psychology and to do anything you need either experience or go to grad school. Grad school is in my future but it's very difficult to find a job in psych with little to no experience. That entry level job will allow me to network and help me gain experience to further my career. I rather be an aide in a psychiatric hospital feeding patients or filing papers as at least I'm a psychology-related setting.

I'd take a job in my field as well.
Even at retail wages it would be a much better fit.

When I accepted my job at HQ, I had an offer at a similar salary which was technically more of what I went to school for. However, I've always liked the retail industry so I went with Target instead.

I no longer work for Target but regarless of what job I have, if the pay and benfiets were the same then no. But i find it funny people have to put down others based on the job they have. oooooo you work for the electric compney. Big whoop. You better be at the top levels of mamangment and not some CSR or a janitor

I just dont get why many good jobs need a degree. all a dregee is is a peace of paper showing that you went to school for something on somethings (graphic or web design) can be done on someones freetime

This my category....

I worked in TV production at a NBC affiliate. 4am-2pm most days. I got better benefits and pay with Target than I did at my station. And there was about the same amount of stress as Target especially during SWEEPS. And my anchors and my production anchors could be A-Holes if they didn't get their way.

But my job now has way more less stress. And I can actually use my degree and do some good.

I no longer work for Target but regarless of what job I have, if the pay and benfiets were the same then no. But i find it funny people have to put down others based on the job they have. oooooo you work for the electric compney. Big whoop. You better be at the top levels of mamangment and not some CSR or a janitor

I just dont get why many good jobs need a degree. all a dregee is is a peace of paper showing that you went to school for something on somethings (graphic or web design) can be done on someones freetime

Because a degree is quantifiable? I mean, it does show you can commit an average of 4 years to finish. But I digress, in this current economy it's an easy metric to use to filter out people. Is it right? mmmm, maybe not. But that's the economy we grew up with and continue to create.

And to the OP, yes I would. At the very least it would be a career I've ideally studied for. I know a lot of social workers who get squat for pay but are satisfied with life; sometimes it's not about the money and it's more about self satisfaction.

Because a degree is quantifiable? I mean, it does show you can commit an average of 4 years to finish. But I digress, in this current economy it's an easy metric to use to filter out people. Is it right? mmmm, maybe not. But that's the economy we grew up with and continue to create.

And to the OP, yes I would. At the very least it would be a career I've ideally studied for. I know a lot of social workers who get squat for pay but are satisfied with life; sometimes it's not about the money and it's more about self satisfaction.

What I'm saying is 98% of the workforce today can be dopne with out a degree. All a degree is is a paper showing you and others you went to school. that is it. nothing more. Nothing less.

In the field I'm studying for I techincally don't need a degree I just want one to be the first in my family. But you better beleive is Warner brothers or any other major production company comes knocking on my door I'll have a lot to think about. I turned down working on a sketch comedy show in la for my Tl interview so...

Working for spot trained me for my dream job
thumbsup.gif
as soon as there's an opening
rolleyes5.gif

336dec6d.jpg

In a heart beat. As others have stated, it would be a career I went to college for. Plus in the TV production field (which is what I got my degree in), the benefits aren't always there but the pay is at least higher than what spot would pay. Believe me, if Spot wanted a video editor working for them in their media department, they probably couldn't afford me at a part time level.

What I'm saying is 98% of the workforce today can be dopne with out a degree. All a degree is is a paper showing you and others you went to school. that is it. nothing more. Nothing less.

A paper that you can make the commitment and finish 4 years. I'd say technically that puts you above the non-degree person as far as non-compassionate resume skimming. As for 98%...I'm curious about what you're quantifying that from. 37% of the market was professional, managerial and technical so a 4 year degree might be necessary.

So I guess my husband & I fall in the 2% of jobs that require a degree. They just happen to be in fields they are attempting (& failing miserably) to outsource so we can only wait & see if our government sees the folly in this.
Until then, ya want the pizza combo for $2 more?

Would you be happy?

That is the big question. If you are happy with what you do, then who gives a rip what others think?

I work retail and actually enjoy it more days than not. That is a win for me. Past jobs I have had made more money, but I was miserable every single day. It is simply not worth making more money if you hate your life as a result.

*if* the pay and benefits were exactly the same as you make at target right now? So in other words, you might be an IT tech, but you have the exact same pay and benefits as target. Would you actually want the job?

Would entirely depend on the recognition culture of the company I would be working for. Say I could go be a social worker and make a positive impact on peoples lives, make my family proud, and get a sense of satisfaction that comes form doing the right thing. Well if they would frown on me recognizing fellow social workers on a daily basis for completing their basic core roles, or say they tell me it is not necessary to post a written notice on the company bulletin everytime I witness a coworker seeing an everyday task through to it's completion. Well, I'd have to say I'm right for the job but the jobs not right for me!

Or say I have the opportunity to be a medical researcher and find health solutions that save lifes and improve life quality, and while we might have banquets when a coworker wins a noble prize, if we are not doing events on a monthly basis like mummy wrapping with toilet paper, or having three legged races and water balloon fights, well even though I would excell at the job no questions asked, I would be balding spiritually if I were to remain in that type of soul crushing environment!

Last edited:
Well seeing as when I graduate and have spent upwards of $100,000 on a piece of paper I will then wait in a "ready pool" for anywhere from 1-3 years at which point I will then have to go training on the other side of the country for a length of time from 6 weeks to 6 months making 30% less than I do right now (probably a 50% pay cut in 5 years!) and then I get to start working for about the same amount that I will be making at Target around that time!!!

But once I get in an am out of training the pay pretty much sky rockets up into the mid 70s in 5 years and then with the right moves up to 100-150 in another 5 years!

All a degree is is a paper showing you and others you went to school. that is it. nothing more. Nothing less.

For the career that I am going to school for a degree isn't required... hell a high school diploma isn't even required, all you have to do is pass a test. However, if you don't go to college for it and a good college at that you will never stand a chance at getting in!!! I know in the past they were receiving thousands of apps per opening, that paired with my school having a placement rating around 98% makes me feel that my 'piece of paper' is going to be very helpful in landing me the career I want!

There is so much wrong with this... it hurts my brain to think about it.

Engineering, Doctors, Lawyers, Accounting, Dentists, Finance, Quantitative Marketing, etc., etc.

There are many things you could hypothetically learn on your own (i.e. Accounting), but w/o extremely thorough self-study, you'll likely be left with gaping holes in your knowledge base. Degree's are, generally speaking, useful and worthwhile... that's just a fact.

For the career that I am going to school for a degree isn't required... hell a high school diploma isn't even required, all you have to do is pass a test. However, if you don't go to college for it and a good college at that you will never stand a chance at getting in!!! I know in the past they were receiving thousands of apps per opening, that paired with my school having a placement rating around 98% makes me feel that my 'piece of paper' is going to be very helpful in landing me the career I want!

What are you going for?

No i would not leave!!!
I like my job,I like working !!!! I am a flow team member.
Degrees are over rated imo for a tl position ! I do have a couple of them ,not valid in the US until I have them translated and validated.not worth the trouble really...I speak and write 4 different languages ,I still have an accent when I speak English,and some people think I am stupid,and speak slowly to me..especially one new tl fresh out of college.but for the most part ,I enjoy going to work,and I give my all!!!

There is so much wrong with this... it hurts my brain to think about it.

Engineering, Doctors, Lawyers, Accounting, Dentists, Finance, Quantitative Marketing, etc., etc.

There are many things you could hypothetically learn on your own (i.e. Accounting), but w/o extremely thorough self-study, you'll likely be left with gaping holes in your knowledge base. Degree's are, generally speaking, useful and worthwhile... that's just a fact.

again. a degree is simply a peace of paper. Nothing more. Nothing less.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back