Archived Would you leave Target for a totally different job if.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
For the career that I am going to school for a degree isn't required... hell a high school diploma isn't even required, all you have to do is pass a test. However, if you don't go to college for it and a good college at that you will never stand a chance at getting in!!! I know in the past they were receiving thousands of apps per opening, that paired with my school having a placement rating around 98% makes me feel that my 'piece of paper' is going to be very helpful in landing me the career I want!

and this is where socicity has failed us. Just like socicty says you MUST only see family on a holiday. :huh:

again. a degree is simply a peace of paper. Nothing more. Nothing less.

Do you also believe that money is "just paper"? Money represents value, which is why you can trade paper (which has almost no inherent value) for a new TV. A degree represents the value of the education which was required to obtain it.

Do you honestly think that so many employers would be willing to pay more for someone just because they have a piece of paper? Why not hire somebody without the piece of paper and save a lot of money on wages?

A college degree represents knowledge that one has pursued, it represents a commitment and dedication. A college degree is not simply about crunching numbers or how to do a desk job.

I have learned a lot of things about how to work as a team and how to look at how a group of people work together and to see where difficulties in groups exist and how these issues can be remedied or prevented. I think that the biggest thing that college has taught me is problem solving skills; I know that calculus doesn't seem like it would apply to working at Target, but, all calculus is is a way of taking a problem and calculating the value that gives you the maximum output. It might seem abstract, however, you take much more away from college than a piece of paper or even the obvious skills that a class would teach you!

I am not saying that I am better than anyone because I know more about the atmosphere and meteorology than most would ever want to know. I am saying that a degree shows that a person is willing to work for 4 years to attain a goal, a 'piece of paper' that itself has no inherent value, but, the potential of value in helping one get the career that they want. The way I see it is that when I go to apply for a job I know that I will be qualified, I will have proof of my qualifications, and I will have proof that I am a committed, determined, and diligent!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back