Archived Yelling

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't work on the flow team, though I have in the past. In the past couple weeks, I've noticed an increased amount of yelling at flow team members.

It seems so disrespectful and counter productive to hire someone, tell them about FIFOing, and then stand at the end of an aisle and yell at them for doing it.

Not specifically saying "Don't FiFO," but saying, "30 seconds a box." No one can legitimately FIFO correctly in market at that pace.

Which is fine. When I reset the nuts this past week, the PA asked me if I checked the dates. I replied, "I checked them about as well as people on the flow team." She just stared at me.

I have said this before...a good leader doesnt have to yell to get the job done. A leader can be stern yet not have to yell. If someone isnt doing their job right...there still isnt an excuse to yell. Our current flow team lead doesn't yell per say . However, he doesn't "lead" very well at all. He talks down to his team and nothing is ever good enough. However the last couple of weeks he has been slowly improving. From, what I understand several people went to the etl.log and HR and told them something had to be done...and several called the hotline ( cause leadership knew what he was doing prior to this and did nothing)

Last edited:
Yes you have encountered the (fanfare da da da DA) Target Stocking Paradox. Do the safest stock possible. Yelling- some happens but if it's frequent it speaks to training/communication. I had a persistent yeller and finally said "if you yell I'll cry " cut way down on the recreational volume. Doesn't always apply. Mars and Venus.

The LOG ETL at my store was much older than all the other ETLs and he never yelled at his crew.
He was more like a high school teacher, his main weapon was withering sarcasm and leading by example.
But yeah the FIFO thing is always an issue.

But isn't that what Freshness Friday is for?

The LOG ETL at my store was much older than all the other ETLs and he never yelled at his crew.
He was more like a high school teacher, his main weapon was withering sarcasm and leading by example.
But yeah the FIFO thing is always an issue.

But isn't that what Freshness Friday is for?
My ETL LOG is like that. He won't yell but he will lay out the expected goal times for the day in a sarcastic tone over the PA. Then he will wrap up by saying that the truck size today was 53 feet and everyone needs to work with a sense of urgency to get done by goal time.

Yelling at employees is never acceptable. If they're not doing their job, yelling will not fix that. The problems "solved" by yelling are usually created by poor training and poor management. No one should tolerate being yelled at. Talk to higher management. Talk to even higher management. Yell back. Have a calm discussion. There are ways to resolve piss poor management like this.

My ETL LOG is like that. He won't yell but he will lay out the expected goal times for the day in a sarcastic tone over the PA. Then he will wrap up by saying that the truck size today was 53 feet and everyone needs to work with a sense of urgency to get done by goal time.

I've heard "sense of urgency" so much that it has lost any real meaning. To me, it now means ... Ignore the words coming out of my mouth.

I yell all the time when i'm leading my flow process, that said I never yell at an individual team member but at the collective group and never in a negative way. If i'm in the trailer throwing or pushing the line and we start getting stuck I yell for them to hurry out on the line and vice versa if i'm loading pallets and the line starts to empty. To be fair that's what it takes to be heard since I purchased a blue tooth speaker and play fast paced music to make them work faster and increase morale. I've also been known to yell on the sales floor if the store isn't open and a team member doesn't have a walkie but that's just my version of an overhead announcement. Yelling at someone directly is only effective if you want to intimidate, but it simply doesn't work when you are trying to lead.

Yelling at someone accomplishes nothing. Raising your voice does not change the message, only how it is recieved. If I tell you calmly you aren't going quickly enough, explain why, and show you how to succeed, 90% of people will take that in a positive manner.

Yelling puts people on the immediate defensive, and from there no other message is getting through. No matter what you say, the only thing they're going to hear is "I'm mad, you suck."

When I reset the nuts this past week, the PA asked me if I checked the dates. I replied, "I checked them about as well as people on the flow team." She just stared at me.
Meh nuts last forever they have at least a 3 year shelf life you're good. Yelling at individual team members was a bit of an issue at my old store and it's like they said it doesn't accomplish anything. It just leaves you with pissed off workers who don't want to do jack shit for you because you're a dick. Hence why I fucking hated the ETL-HR he yelled at everybody! It was ironic because he had no people skills what so ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back