Archived 10 hours a week!! why even bother??

Status
Not open for further replies.
my girlfriend has been scheduled 10-12 hours a week at her Target store for the last couple months,she used to work 30-35 hours a week

at their meetings,they explain sales are down

if they only want you to work 10 hours a week,why schedule it for 3 separate days so you dont waste gas?

has anybody else run into this massive hour cutting at Target?

That kind of **** is why I walked out man. No offense to those that still work there. Tell her to keep her head up and start looking elsewhere if it keeps going on man.

January and February were really bad months for hours for me, with the same hour changes as your girlfriend. This month, though, my hours are back up. Hopefully the same will happen for your girlfriend... The only advice I have for her is keep an eagle's eye on the swap shift board and apply for other jobs.

A lot of cashiers at my store are scheduled that way & they justify it by using it as built-in coverage.
We have several call-outs a day (crappy pay, low hrs.....who knew?) & they always have a hard time calling TMs in but find it easier to ask TMs already working if they want to stay & pick up a few more hrs. Kinda like the old "bird in the hand".
It's crappy but it works.
Hey, how else can I pick up hrs so easily?

Lol I've been scheduled 4 hours a week before. I quit at the last company that did this to me, however our HRTM gave me 32 hours the week after that so meh.

Is she cross trained in other areas of the store? Surely there are cashier shifts she can pick up. A lot of hours are usually to be had on the check lanes but no one wants them because its "boring". My thought is, hours are down throughout the company, bills at home aren't being cut to match the hours, so as other have said- a new job, or doing some shifts that aren't the most ideal.

Is she cross trained in other areas of the store? Surely there are cashier shifts she can pick up. A lot of hours are usually to be had on the check lanes but no one wants them because its "boring". My thought is, hours are down throughout the company, bills at home aren't being cut to match the hours, so as other have said- a new job, or doing some shifts that aren't the most ideal.

Cross training into every area you can is actually a really great idea. My ETL tells me that when she sets the shift one of the reasons I do get as many hours as I do is because I can cashier, stand operator, set the floor, pull CAFs, push CAFs, and so and so on. They don't know who is going to call off on any given day so they like having people on shift who are skilled at multiple jobs. And yes, look at the swap board and drop a word with your operator if you want extra hours - at least in my store the operator is tasked with calling in replacements... ;)

I call it a work/life balance.

I've been getting 10 hour weeks for about 2 months now. I'm in school and live at home, so I really can't complain. I did notice my hours are up the next two weeks though. I've gotten so lazy I rather have the 10...:lazy:

she was cross trained in several areas at Target.she worked fitting room/operator soft lines and cashier.
the sheet with extra shifts was always eaten up by the time it came up.

she quit friday,along with 4 other people

she didnt even tell them,she just didnt go back

she starts working at walmart as a cashier next week after orientation

she is making less,but getting more hours and less expensive to go to work

the walmart is 2 miles away,the Target was 15 miles away

she was told she can have all the hours she wants because people dont show up for work

Last edited:

she was cross trained in several areas at Target.she worked fitting room/operator soft lines and cashier.
the sheet with extra shifts was always eaten up by the time it came up.

she quit friday,along with 4 other people

she didnt even tell them,she just didnt go back

she starts working at walmart as a cashier next week after orientation

she is making less,but getting more hours and less expensive to go to work

the walmart is 2 miles away,the Target was 15 miles away

she was told she can have all the hours she wants because people dont show up for work

Target does that also. They hire new people & give them a decent number of hours in the very beginning while they cut the hours of long time employees.

The new hires are happy & don't understand that this only lasts until the next bunch of new hires comes along.

I think this is Target's plan. Encourage as many long time employees as possible to quit in disgust so they can hire new people at a lower salary.

As long as the economy stagnates, they can always find hopeless people who will put up with anything they dish out. Be abused at Walmart or be abused at Target. What's the difference? Nothing.

Target respects its employees just as much as Walmart respects its employees. Not at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back