Archived 2 interviews in one day, but not hired yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Owl

Hi, I quit working for Target a few months ago because of some family issues and just recently reapplied. (I originally took a leave of absence and then just kind of never went back. Not good, I know, but they still called and let me come in for an interview, so I thought I might have a chance to come back). I had my two interviews Tuesday (salesfloor) and I thought they went really well. The ETL is new since I was there before, but he was really nice and said he'd give me his recommendation and he thought I'd get the job. This was after we talked about my "attendance issues" which I explained was because I had a crappy car that kept breaking down and the family issues. I know that doesn't look great to a potential employer, but he seemed really impressed with the rest of the interview and said multiple times that he'd like to have me back in the store. At the end he told me HR wasn't in to officially offer me the job, but I should hear back soon. I was kind of hoping they'd call the next day or today but now I'm getting kind of nervous... The first time I got hired on the spot, and my sister was hired on the spot for a cashier position on Wednesday.

Was he just being polite when he said HR would contact me?? Should I call them and ask where they are in the hiring process? When should I call (don't want to be pushy, it's only been a couple days) and what should I say?

Thanks!

Always follow up. I would ask to speak to the HR person and explain about your past attendance issues and how they won't be an issue going forward because you took steps A,B, and C. This will show that you really want the job and that you own up to past mistakes/took steps to correct them.

Call and follow up. I wouldn't just show up, that is always overly pushy to our HR team and will get you on their bad side.

Reactions: Owl
So, I got my rejection email today. Do you guys think it would be a bad idea to call HR and ask her if there's any other positions open or any seasonal positions open? (Originally she offered me an interview for flow but I said I wanted to do salesfloor, so it's possible they only had one SF position and gave it to someone else, rather than not wanting to hire me because of past issues...) Or do you think that sounds too desperate? Lol thanks.

So, I got my rejection email today. Do you guys think it would be a bad idea to call HR and ask her if there's any other positions open or any seasonal positions open? (Originally she offered me an interview for flow but I said I wanted to do salesfloor, so it's possible they only had one SF position and gave it to someone else, rather than not wanting to hire me because of past issues...) Or do you think that sounds too desperate? Lol thanks.

Further evidence that if Spot doesn't instantly jump,they're not impressed.

You absolutely should call. You've already been told no. It's not like they can do anything to hurt you. All they can do is say no to any other opportunity you may have.

Edit: Or better yet, go there in person. Phone calls are impersonal and show a lack of initiative in most cases. Phone calls are best for places you've never worked at or where you'll relocate to.

That didn't really answer my question...

The answer? They don't want you. Target is the most passive aggressive organization that exists in America. They love to bring you in for an interview, make it seem like it absolutely went fine, and then send you home with a 'HR will be in contact' as their way of saying 'what a waste of your time'. If Target doesn't hire you on the spot for anything other than ETL, then 9 times out of 10 that store will NEVER take you.

When you decided not to return from LOA, did you call or give any indication that you weren't returning?
If not, you were marked as unrehireable. Basically, job abandonment.
That they gave you an interview was probably an opp for you to make your case for rehire &, while they seemed encouraging in the face-to-face, it was probably not enough to persuade leadership to let you come back.
If you walked once, how could they trust you not do it again?

When you decided not to return from LOA, did you call or give any indication that you weren't returning?
If not, you were marked as unrehireable. Basically, job abandonment.
That they gave you an interview was probably an opp for you to make your case for rehire &, while they seemed encouraging in the face-to-face, it was probably not enough to persuade leadership to let you come back.
If you walked once, how could they trust you not do it again?
Yeah, I guess, but he seemed really impressed that I quit to help my mom after her brain surgery, like he kept referencing that throughout the interview. Also they hired back another kid while I worked there who was so lazy ("I can have everything in market done by 6:30 PM" okay lmao) and he was fired by ncns. Isn't it against policy to hire him back? But I was considered a "voluntary termination" which I guess I assumed was target speak for quitting, not getting fired. I also assumed that if i was marked not rehireable that they would just toss my application, not lead me on to think I had a chance. My mistake I guess :(

Sorry, I realize I'm starting to sound kind of whiny. I'm just frustrated and disappointed.

The answer? They don't want you. Target is the most passive aggressive organization that exists in America. They love to bring you in for an interview, make it seem like it absolutely went fine, and then send you home with a 'HR will be in contact' as their way of saying 'what a waste of your time'. If Target doesn't hire you on the spot for anything other than ETL, then 9 times out of 10 that store will NEVER take you.
Or HR isn't there that day. The day I was interviewed, the ETL literally told me, "don't call us, we'll call you." Turns out HR wasn't there that day to do the offer.

Reactions: Owl
Or HR isn't there that day. The day I was interviewed, the ETL literally told me, "don't call us, we'll call you." Turns out HR wasn't there that day to do the offer.

That's YOUR experience, which yes is possible, but don't deny that majority of the time if they don't present the offer that day they won't at all.

Yeah, I really doubt he lied to me. I know everyone at that store. If he lied he was taking a pretty big risk because I could have easily walked back to say hi to someone and seen the HR girl at her desk, so I just doubt it. And hr seemed positive about having me back when we talked on the phone. Seems like a waste of time to interview someone you definitely won't hire.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back