Archived 5 day vacation during 90 day probation

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was hired July 29 & had my orientation August 10. I haven't been scheduled for training yet. I planned a 5 day vacation before I got hired, & when they asked during the interview if I had any vacations I said no. I just wanted to look good you know. How can I ask for the days off & not get fired?? Or can I say I have a family emergency a couple of days before and say I need to leave the state? Can I get fired for that? I really need this job :/ or should I make friends to cover my shifts?

Last edited:
There is a reason they ask about this multiple times during the interview/hiring process...

If you choose to not say a word about it and then come up with a "family emergency," you'd better make sure not to tell anyone you work with about your vacation and not post a thing about it online.

Your best bet is to tell HR asap. If you are young and still living at home, you might be able to just say your parents planned it and didn't tell you until just now.

There is a reason they ask about this multiple times during the interview/hiring process...

If you choose to not say a word about it and then come up with a "family emergency," you'd better make sure not to tell anyone you work with about your vacation and not post a thing about it online.

Your best bet is to tell HR asap. If you are young and still living at home, you might be able to just say your parents planned it and didn't tell you until just now.

If I would have said I had a vacation during the interview, would I have still got the job??

If I would have said I had a vacation during the interview, would I have still got the job??
I did. Although my store has a lot of trouble finding new hires.

They are trying to bulk up staffing for 4th quarter and replace the TMs going back to college soon. As long as you didn't ask for something ridiculous like every other week off, or the entire month of November, they probably could have accommodated you.

I did. Although my store has a lot of trouble finding new hires.

They are trying to bulk up staffing for 4th quarter and replace the TMs going back to college soon. As long as you didn't ask for something ridiculous like every other week off, or the entire month of November, they probably could have accommodated you.

They said they would call to tell me my schedule, do you think I should tell them this over the phone or in person?

They said they would call to tell me my schedule, do you think I should tell them this over the phone or in person?
In person, unless they call first and your vacation is during the next schedule.

Vacation during the interview process is not a big deal, it's your availability that is the important thing. Asking for time off is normal

But now this is going to be a huge red flag since you lied about it. On paper. Falsifying your application. This is clear cut under 90 day term.

Let this be a learning process. Don't lie about things like that. They ask for a reason. I told HR about 4 different periods of time where I would be off during my 90 days and there wasn't an issue at all. They understand that people had lives before being hired. Plus, they ask you this because you're really not supposed to take any time off during your probation period.

When I was hired, I had a major vacation planned. I told them about it when they called to set up the interview, during the interview and during the job offer (different day than the interview). They put it down on the paper and we signed, making it set in stone. So I ended up doing one day of orientation/cashier training and then left the country the next day for two weeks.

They get you have a life and make plans before you were hired. I would fess up immediately. They won't be happy, but they will take that better than having a family emergency.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back