Archived 7 AM Truck unload

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't heard of this at my store, and I hope I do not. They are getting a bit more strict, some things justified other things not so much. But ya, hopefully things stay the same 4am.

I'm at an "ultra-low volume" store(not sure what's so ultra-low about it, most Targets I've been to are about the same size) and we used to unload at 4am and get 50cent shift-diff. "Great by 8" they used to say. Then they told us we were moving to 6am and losing shift-diff. Then they realized that wasn't a good idea and had flow come in at 5am on Monday and 5:15am on other truck days, but still didn't get shift-diff. Then they recently changed it to 6am and the flow team rarely makes it out by 2pm, and most days they're there until 3, 4, or 5pm. They load up flats and then pallets that they end up having to drop on flats as they come back, so they use all the flats for the truck, and so all the tubs get used by backroom, especially if there's still backstock that needs to be finished, and carts, leaving nothing for the rest of the store, so then we all have to get creative in using store carts etc. It's been kind of bad...

They announced on Wednesday that we would be moving to 7am for pog, 7:30am for flow, and 9am for instocks. We always have serious equipment issues, someone is always needing a PDT and end up spending a good bit of their time trying to bum one off someone else. Being that I'm on POG I'm glad I'm first, because it's going to suck for instocks and backroom peops. We have to hide our equipment from each other it's so bad, as is. Being on POG, we never get our stuff done anyways because corp keeps screwing us the same way they screw everyone else. The morale has left at least a year or two ago, so I don't think it even matters at this point. I come in and do what I can and leave. I used to care about doing a good job and trying to get things done and looking out for my TL and other TMs, but Target has made it impossible to care anymore. I don't slack off, but I get paid by the hour, I'm not killing myself anymore. There's no compensation and we're treated worse and worse. My poor TL's head is going to blow up any day now and I don't want to be around when that happens. I'm not going to keep coming in and working in ways that no one should ever have to work(especially for the pay grade) and be treated like it's not enough on a regular basis. 200-350hr planogram weeks between 3 people is not cool. IT DOESN'T WORK. When you come home and try to go to sleep but can't because you're shaking from stress and frustration and simply working too hard, it's time to call it quits.

In regards to the original post. My store used to start push at 4am and stay til about 8. By the time we opened mostly everything was clean except maybe a tub here or there. NOW, they come in from 6-10 and it is a BIG pain in the ass. I have to come in at 8 for pfresh now and they STILL have pallets and product everywhere and it just looks like total ****. I know when they changed the time there was talk of a ton of people thinking about quiting altogether since working til 10 now didnt work out with either jobs or school or whatever else they had going on. I cant even imagine them starting another hour later at 7. By 8 they would just start pushing and for 3 hours the store would be a wreck

Just got the paperwork for it today, and unfortunately the time is 7:30am, not 7:00am for truck unload. LODS and Plano come in at 7am, backroom/flow/pricing at 7:30, instocks is at 9am now. The killer is telling us to schedule ad set up TMs at 7am on sunday.... legally we cant schedule people less than 3 hours, and it needs to still be done by store open, consider me baffled.
Yeah, if they ever have me do signing again, they'll be rather dissatisfied.

Wow.. Wow.. So glad I got out of the store. I couldn't imagine doing plano during open hours, let alone flow... ugh how horrible. I knew Target wanted to be more like Walmart, but not that much more.

I hope they are going to get you extra flats and tubs because I don't see any way this would work without doubling up on wheels.
For that matter I would hate to see the days when Plano, Instocks, Pricechange and flow are all trying to work in the same area at the same time.
That is going to take some very careful communication between the TLs.
We don't even have room for anymore flats and tubs and we use them all. And we've also been without a flow tl since like... August? lol Finally getting a new one. He won't last. No one will. Roster will be renewed soon, it's almost completely wiped out anyways.

Last edited:
So a 50 cent shift diff on N07 is like 8.75-9.00 an hour? That sucks lol.

Also when they switch to diff times / eliminate shift differential, they're effectively delivering pay cuts to a lot of TMs correct? Thats low.

Also when they switch to diff times / eliminate shift differential, they're effectively delivering pay cuts to a lot of TMs correct? Thats low.

Yep...CUT CUT CUT = profit profit profit until you cant cut anymore than you have to find other ways to run your business which giving targets record the last 2 years or so is going to fail. Id be super pissed if I had shift diff taken away and my hours changed to where i possibly couldnt even working there anyway if I had school or another job or something. 4-8 was probably a good time for alot of people with second jobs, watching kids or going to school. but say 7-12 or so prob sucks a lot

I'm just curious...I've noticed a lot of changed for ULV stores. What changes will we see moving forward with High Volume stores that have overnights?

(didn't read the previous post relating to the comment) - They didn't do that with us when we went from overnight to 4 am. They calculated how many hours we had worked before the cut-off time, and then averaged it out, and then we all got a pay raise to make up for the loss in shift differential. It was some formula they came up with. It was only the new hires that didn't get offered the shift differential pay raise. I'm making about the same I would be now, minus the hours from remodel and from pay raise.

We still get paid shift differential for the hours we work before 8 am, but only if we come in before 6 am.

Last edited:

(didn't read the previous post relating to the comment) - They didn't do that with us when we went from overnight to 4 am. They calculated how many hours we had worked before the cut-off time, and then averaged it out, and then we all got a pay raise to make up for the loss in shift differential. It was some formula they came up with. It was only the new hires that didn't get offered the shift differential pay raise. I'm making about the same I would be now, minus the hours from remodel and from pay raise.

We still get paid shift differential for the hours we work before 8 am, but only if we come in before 6 am.

the benefit here is that you get that extra few cents when you take vacation or get time and a half but otherwise it sucks

My ulv store is also going to 7:30 truck unload.

Any tips/tricks on how to accomplish ad set-up in an hour? We are a sunday truck store.

My ulv store is also going to 7:30 truck unload.

Any tips/tricks on how to accomplish ad set-up in an hour? We are a sunday truck store.

Whomever does your ad prep, schedule them for enough hours on Thursday - Saturday for them to have all the signs 100 ready for Sunday morning. Separate signing for Sales Planners that are coming up that week and give them to the appropriate TL to set when the set the SP. 11x11 end caps signs that need to go out for the end cap audit set aside for the Sunday morning task LOD.

Our DTL approved our Sunday morning crew to come in at 6am and expects ad setup complete by 12p so they don't have to take a lunch.

Everyone takes a box of separated signs (A Block, B Block, etc) and scans them in in one sitting (we do breakroom or conference room). After all are scanned in, we hit the floor and wave it so LOD can monitor speed and efficiency. LOD does end caps and side caps as we wave or ask 1 of the TMs to do it if the ad is smaller.

Put some music on over the PA from TSC and offer something to eat with the coffee and keep it positive!

Just learned my store is going to 7am. I guess 7:30 unload time. We're not even ULV, wtf?
I'm curious to hear the rest of the details. :-/

It'll work of your stores are doing it right. I. Every single speciality pushes the truck as well, then everyone spends a few hours doing their thing, and everyone once again pushes all of price, Plano, in stocks, auto fills... This is how they are doing it at my brothers store and he says it actually works. People are just excepted to be cross trained.

With the 7am flow how are stores handling breaking down repacks? We use shopping carts and with the different workcenters using them as well there is none for the guests. STLS and LOG Etl havent done anything to resolve this.

With the 7am flow how are stores handling breaking down repacks? We use shopping carts and with the different workcenters using them as well there is none for the guests. STLS and LOG Etl havent done anything to resolve this.

Our repacks go out on the same flat as the regular push.

It'll work of your stores are doing it right. I. Every single speciality pushes the truck as well, then everyone spends a few hours doing their thing, and everyone once again pushes all of price, Plano, in stocks, auto fills... This is how they are doing it at my brothers store and he says it actually works. People are just excepted to be cross trained.

Unfortunately this sounds like a way to not get all the POGs set for the week, instocks to get scanned or backstock done even close to the 8 hour mark for BR TMs. My store already has trouble with POGs getting set and instocks completing thorough scans. Our BR TMs already help flow for at least an hour and a half before going to backstock.

Anyone else hear everything is going to be pushed now? No more backstock to the back of the line other than transition.

Reactions: NOP
This is a HORRIBLE idea. Pushing the truck will just go even slower with the store opened. My flow team can barely finish the job at 9am (starting the unload at 4am). I seriously hope after seeing the aftermath of this they will scrap the idea and realize what a mess this will be.

I wonder how many guests are going to get injured with the increase in pallet traffic on the floor? Or even if the guests want to shop while the entire thing is being done.

Unfortunately this sounds like a way to not get all the POGs set for the week, instocks to get scanned or backstock done even close to the 8 hour mark for BR TMs. My store already has trouble with POGs getting set and instocks completing thorough scans. Our BR TMs already help flow for at least an hour and a half before going to backstock.

Anyone else hear everything is going to be pushed now? No more backstock to the back of the line other than transition.

If you have more people to push the truck it'll go by faster, then flo is split up to the different work centers and helps the teams complete their workload, which will go faster since its double the people. In stocks is only shot 3 days a week and he is ULV. He could be just a test store. I don't want to go into actual specifics to give spot any ideas on who I could be....

If you have more people to push the truck it'll go by faster, then flo is split up to the different work centers and helps the teams complete their workload, which will go faster since its double the people. days a week and he is ULV. He could be just a test store. I don't want to go into actual specifics to give spot any ideas on who I could be.... Message me for more

If you have more people to push the truck it'll go by faster, then flo is split up to the different work centers and helps the teams complete their workload, which will go faster since its double the people. days a week and he is ULV. He could be just a test store. I don't want to go into actual specifics to give spot any ideas on who I could be.... Message me for more
If.

I wonder how many guests are going to get injured with the increase in pallet traffic on the floor? Or even if the guests want to shop while the entire thing is being done.

They're probably gonna emphasize bowling out all the freight. So instead of pallets flowing around the store, there'll just be aisles full of boxes.

They're probably gonna emphasize bowling out all the freight. So instead of pallets flowing around the store, there'll just be aisles full of boxes.

We do this at wally while the store is still open between 10-11, and guests are NOT happy that the aisles have boxes in front of the shelves :eek: I can't imagine the AM crowd, usually its the elderly crowd (least at my old store), and they're the hard to please cranky ones.....

Imerzan, do you work at a supercenter? As a Coke merch I've been in Walmarts around 9am and things didn't look too trashy from the overnight process. I guess I only really see the grocery section and I'd imagine that's one of the first things to be completed.

Yeah supercenter, not 24 hours though, so we close at 11. Overnight stock is usually always done and cleaned up before the store opens. Grocery is always done first, so if theres call outs other areas might not always be done. Last night the mod team (POG) still had an area of grocery torn up when the store opened though =/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back