Archived A bit of nostalgia

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone else remember when target stores used to have all the different colored neon around the walls? i remember shopping at the store i work at now as a little kid and that used to be one of my favorite things about target. I also seem to remember each department having a different color on its sign that hangs from the ceiling? My store is rather old (30+ years) and the store number is a low one.

I wasn't around when all the stores had the neon lights, but I've got TMs who've been w' Spot long enough that they remember them. Each area was designated by color and was called "green world" or "blue world."
There was a store not too far away from mine that had a remodel just a couple of years ago and that was when they took the neon lights out. I'm sure that by now all the "world" targets have been remodeled.

In addition to the signs, I think that the neon lights were on the walls in the specific departments so that the whole area was color coded. Kind of a neat concept......that was one of the things that helped Target to be Target.......oh, the fun of years ago........

We still have neon, but its white and in the shape of like, half-targets, i guess is what i would call them. i read somewhere that the neon came along with the greatland stores. We actually still have a sign in the bathroom above the baby changing table from that design period, with the red rectangle underneath the text on a white background. Why they decided to keep that around, i'll never know...

My store still has the different colored neon lights and the green/blue signs through out the store. We do not use these to break down departments anymore or use them for any other purpose though. They just don't want to shell out the money to remodel it.

We had the neon and the different colors for sections but then they turned us into a PFresh.
Now everything is the same boring red and they replaced the neon with plastic cubes that fall down because they used cheap adhesive.

I wasn't around when all the stores had the neon lights, but I've got TMs who've been w' Spot long enough that they remember them. Each area was designated by color and was called "green world" or "blue world."
There was a store not too far away from mine that had a remodel just a couple of years ago and that was when they took the neon lights out. I'm sure that by now all the "world" targets have been remodeled.

In addition to the signs, I think that the neon lights were on the walls in the specific departments so that the whole area was color coded. Kind of a neat concept......that was one of the things that helped Target to be Target.......oh, the fun of years ago........

My store is divided between green world and blue world. Two different colored doors.

My store also has the weird neon "half targets"

Our store still has the "worlds"!

My supers still have worlds. Although we called it blue side, green side, and F block (which was red, but didn't get called red side...weird).

My store had a remodel just before I started, and they got rid of the blue/green. The red all over is pretty boring but its cohesive.

My supers still have worlds. Although we called it blue side, green side, and F block (which was red, but didn't get called red side...weird).
The only F block we have is..........oh, never mind.

My rival store kept the color coded area design even after its remodel. It looks pretty cool actually. My store just has plain red neon everywhere.

Last edited:

SO DOES MINE! :D Blue side, green side relates to the doors and then we just call the back "D" because it's the D aisles. And it's Domestics.

I mean, my store, the only things still blue and green are the front doors.

Our worlds are
  • Red: A and B
  • Blue: C and D
  • Green: EFG
  • Yellow: Softlines

maybe backwords for red and green.

We had blue doors on one side and green doors on the other. Our aisle number fins (street sign holders) were color coded too, but they've all since become red I think. When I worked there we still had the headers that hung over the top of the gondola (not the previous generation that hooked into the standard flush with the pegboard.

Before my store moved years ago it had the color coded areas with softlines being yellow. Stationery was called Notions. I still have people in my building that refer to notions.

556821_10150943342765609_42721031_n.jpg

Yep. We had blue, green, red and yellow. Our front doors are either blue or green, still, but the rest of the store is red, now.

I miss those days, they still existed when I was in college I think. Nowadays my store is just one big red nightmare, and we have paper maps at guest services.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back