Archived A few notes/questions from a newbie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all. I was hired at Target a few months ago as a seasonal flow TM, who was apparently kept for a permanent position after the winter holidays. Since I found this site I've wanted to post and talk about a few things concerning my job.

1) I don't know our sales figures, but my store gets 4-5 trucks a week and they are between 1800 (if we're really lucky) and 2500 (if we're really not, which is more often the case). We get a food truck every other day. Are we "high-volume"? Does that make our store important?

2) Is it easy to transfer to a different store? I've moved since I started working at Target and there are stores that are more conveniently located than mine, relative to my new address. I've thought about asking for a transfer but I don't know whether this would be a Big Deal, have repercussions on my job, etc.

3) Does anyone else have those displays in electronics that are on at all times, even when the store is closed? As a flow team member this is incredibly infuriating for me because I get sick of hearing the same things over and over, day after day. Every time I walk past the Skylanders Swap Force display and it shrieks at me about its trap button, I want to smash it to pieces. I've asked a few people why they're always on, including my ETL and an electronics TM, but nobody knows for sure - the best guess is that they're just wired into a different circuit than the other displays, like the TVs (which are turned off until opening). I understand these displays being on when the store is open, even though I think that they are obnoxious all around, but it irritates me that we have to listen to them even when the store is closed.

4) Anyone else have an issue with the "no freight on the floor by opening" policy? I understand the reasons behind it, but our LODs and ETL are kind of crazy about cracking the whip to make sure it gets done. Sometimes we end up understaffed because several people call out or NCNS (this happened today) and clearing all of the floor by 8, especially if we bowled everything out, isn't possible. What are the consequences to flow team/the store if there is still freight on the floor after 8? Does the ETL get in trouble or something?

5) Seems like every day I work we're understaffed to various degrees because people don't show up. Often this is, apparently, due to NCNS. Supposedly you can get terminated for that, but why does this never seem to happen? I always see the same people working, not all at once of course, and we haven't had a new flow TM added since the holidays. We were heavily understaffed today and it frustrates me that people apparently get away with not showing up - especially since those of us who DO show up get punished by having to work harder to pick up their slack. If it just meant working extra hours I wouldn't complain, but the understaffing combined with the above "freight off the floor by 8" policy makes for a stressful work day.

1) Not sure. You'd have to look at the Store Fact Sheet under Store Reports on Workbench. Volume doesn't make a store more important it just determines staffing and payroll.

2) It's easier at some stores than others. You need the blessing of your ETL-HR and STL, and the other store's ETL-HR and STL, as well as an open position. Talk to your ETL-HR.

3) We have that too. If you can't find the plug you'll need to trip the breaker. Only do this with ETL approval, because the electronics TL will raise hell if it's not turned back on or is broken to avoid annoyance.

4) Depends on the store. If there's an 8 AM corporate visit, yes. If the STL is Anal McLooney about it, they can write up the ETL or dish out other action.

5) To be terminated for NCNS, you have to NCNS 3 shifts in a row. Your HR team should be actively looking for people who continually NCNS but not 3 times in a row, to coach them.

Welcome! I'll answer the stuff I'm not totally clueless about.

1) You might be a midrange store? I don't know. Here we get 3 GM trucks a week ranging from ~1700-2200, 3 FDC trucks of no idea how big and I think we're on the low range? At least that's what I've been told.

3) Pretty sure every store has those. I know mine does and they drive me insane if I have to spend any time in the area. What really drives me crazy is the TVs will be off but the audio still going. If you're going to try and save electricity, why half-ass it? Just one of those wonderful quirks of the job you have to get used to. Its one of those reasons I have some respect for electronics TMs for listening to that all day and not snapping.

4) When does your store start working on the truck? I'm guessing 4am or something because as a 6am store that is impossible. I know having boxes scattered all over the store can affect cleanliness/guest satisfaction scores and I'm guessing that can affect an ETL's performance reports. Will they get fired over just that? Doubt it. And more likely the Flow TL is going to get in trouble first.
At our store what we try to do is only have an area broken out if its going to be worked on during unload or very soon after. So the larger areas get broken out during unload and everything else stay on pallets or flatbeds until the team gets to that area. So yeah areas of the store are going to be messy but at least it isn't too widespread.

5) Welcome to flow team: its a not a job most people are running to apply for so staffing is always going to be an issue. I know my store's understaffed in Flow and has been for a while. My guess is leadership is thinking better to schedule the person on the off chance they do show up instead of firing them and losing those hours/extra hands. If they call in, you can use those hours on the TMs who do stay. If they call in every shift, of course they're getting termed. But

3) Some displays are closed circuit. They have a battery designed to last as long as its up, about a month or two. If you can figure out where the optical sensor is, just cover it with a piece of cardboard taped over it until you're done in the area.

3) I haven't noticed anything like that in electronics but that rolling Gillette razor display in HBA is slowly driving me crazy. I just about lost it when I saw we now have one in the women's shaving section as well.

4) All Stores Are Not The Same...

That policy does not exist at my store. And since we don't start until 6am, there is always shit all over the floor at 8 and long after.

Your TL should be the one taking the heat for a broad expectation such as "all freight off the floor by 8." Unless a leader tells you specifically to make sure a certain section is clear by 8, it would be pretty hard to hold you personally accountable for all of it.

5) Is it possible that your store is just not getting any applicants for open positions? My store is still trying to fill Flow and Backroom positions that have been open since October. Our ETL-HR posts a list every month of how many TMs we have hired and how many more we need (broken down by position).

NCNS are probably breing ignored mostly since it is better to have a TM who is sometimes there than one who is never there. And if some of those are actual call-offs, they can get away with it for a lot longer.

1) You need to look at your store fact sheet (on workbench) to determine volume. I would think your store is an A or A+ volume store based on truck frequency (truck size isn't a good indicator). So not necessarily "high-volume" but higher than most. Your store probably is under $55 Million, especially if you have to worry about getting freight off the floor by 8am (early morning vs overnight). High volume stores are most likely still overnight ($55 Million +). I ran an AA+ volume logistics process. We averaged $70 million a year in sales and had 7 trucks a week. Higher volume stores (AAA) brought in $100 million and had 8-9+ trucks a week.

January - March is a struggle for payroll. Sales are down and/or Target gives each store less and less hours compared to 4th quarter. Usually during this period processes run on skeleton crews. It's more noticeable during this period when TMs call out.

Important? Not any more than a D volume store.

2) Transferring is meant to be easy for TMs with a good work record. Since you are past your 90 days you can transfer if there is an opening at another store. If you find an open position you'll need ETL-HRs blessing first. Some stores require STL approval but I've never experienced that. Transfers were always between myself, ETL-HR, and the ETL-HR of the new store.

3) The struggle is real!

4) Even overnight stores have this struggle when TMs call out (NCNS) and there is a large truck. If there was a visit, the STL would get shit on by the visitor - then that shit would be poured on the ETL-Log. If a guest trips over boxes in an aisle and sues Target, the ETL will disappear and his/her name will never be said again. If a TM says their name, for example "Voldemort", that TM will disappear too.

5) Welcome to Logistics at Target. 1 NCNS in 6 months is a CA, 2 NCNS in 6 months is a FW, and 3 NCNS in a year is termination. Sounds like your leadership isn't managing talent and following through with coaching/CAs. Having at least 1-3 call-outs a night is an expectation for logistics. If you know Target's policies, you can play the game really well. Getting fired for calling out is a lot harder than it is for NCNS.

Hiring won't happen for Logistics until BTS (May-June). This hiring event is much smaller than 4th quarter hiring. You may see 3-5 new TMs during this period.

4) Anyone else have an issue with the "no freight on the floor by opening" policy? I understand the reasons behind it, but our LODs and ETL are kind of crazy about cracking the whip to make sure it gets done. Sometimes we end up understaffed because several people call out or NCNS (this happened today) and clearing all of the floor by 8, especially if we bowled everything out, isn't possible. What are the consequences to flow team/the store if there is still freight on the floor after 8? Does the ETL get in trouble or something?

My store doesnt even bowl anymore they just leave it on the flat, and everyone picks off the non-heavy / easiest stuff cause thats how my flow rolls lol

3) I haven't noticed anything like that in electronics but that rolling Gillette razor display in HBA is slowly driving me crazy. I just about lost it when I saw we now have one in the women's shaving section as well.

3) Some displays are closed circuit. They have a battery designed to last as long as its up, about a month or two. If you can figure out where the optical sensor is, just cover it with a piece of cardboard taped over it until you're done in the area.

I cannot fucking stand the Flexball displays. Our flow team used to cover the sensors with gray dots when they were pushing in those aisles, but it wasn't effective.

The GameStop commercial in electronics is annoying too, since it is talking about past releases from last year. Then, you have the music & movies promos that can be annoying too. Because I heard that during ad setup on Sunday's, mostly. The real winner is the Barbie power picture display, my sbs guy decide to turn up the volume all the way up.
A real headache...

To the Op in ref to your # 4 Freight is on the floor at my store pretty much all day or at least till around 3 pm ( we are a 730 process store.) I am assuming you are an overnight store. Your # 5 complaint ...we have the same issue. We will get new flow team members either they quit or get fired with a week or so. We have a few that they kept on after Christmas...some of them are good others are only good at kissing ass...thus why they are getting most of the hours etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back