Archived A few questions from a new seasonal cashier

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey friends! I just got hired at Target in the past week, and Wednesday was my first day on cash. When I went in for my shift they really didn't seem to be expecting me. After the ETL-GS (I think that's who he said he was) debated with the lady working guest services where I should go, I was sent to shadow a cashier who was already working, and I watched her for about 15 minutes before she decided to put me on. Luckily it wasn't that difficult (in my store we have touch screen monitors which say all the commands, so it's just a matter of remembering where the commands are and what order to do things) and the cashier training me was usually nearby when I had a question. I ended up doing my last hour alone because she was done her shift, so I kinda pestered a nearby cashier when I got lost. Anyway, in general it went okay, but I just don't know many store procedures because...no one told me... So maybe people here can help me out with a few things in case in my next shifts I'm similarly left to my own devices?

1) I have an employee number on a temporary discount card, but apparently I wasn't in the system for my first shift so I used other people's numbers on the cash. Hopefully I'll be able to log in on my next shift, but I guess you also need a pin number to log in and unlock the register. Is the pin something I'll get to choose the first time I log in, or is that something I have to sort out before I get to the register?

2) I believe we're allowed to just give guests discounts within a few dollars or few percents if they challenge the prices coming up on the register, but I'm not sure what to do when the guest claims there is a huge price discrepancy? It happened once on my shift while my trainer was still there, so she just went out to the sales floor to check for herself, but I'm gonna say it's not a good idea to leave your register unattended when you're on your own. I guess associates on the floor have walkie talkies, but how am I as cashier supposed to get in touch with them? (I'm especially worried about this happening Black Friday, when the crowds necessitate a quick answer on whether you can change the price or not...)

3) This may be something I'll just have to ask my coworkers about because I haven't seen mention to it elsewhere in the forums, but at my store we actually have kiosks set up near the cashes where people apply for their own Red Cards on computers. My trainer said absolutely nothing about the Red Card to me, and she didn't even ask any of her customers (...in the fifteen minutes that I watched her) if they were interested in applying. In a store like this, is it even possible for me to process applications? My register never prompted me to ask people about the cards (though I only had a four hour shift). I did have one customer who asked me about the cards while I was there, and I was able to tell her the details about how they work but I just vaguely pointed her towards the kiosks if she wanted to apply (since it was busy at that point so I didn't think I could interrupt a fellow cashier to ask.) If it matters, I'm working at a Canadian Target that just opened in September, so our procedures with the Red Cards may be different.

4) On Black Friday I'm scheduled to work until 11 pm, which I'm fairly certain is when my store closes. So at 11 (give or take however long it takes for my line of customers to end when I turn off my light) am I free to just log out of the cash and leave? Because the next day I'm scheduled until midnight, and I'm not sure what I'm meant to do for a full hour after the store closes. I'm really hoping someone will give me instructions when I'm there, but does anyone know what I should expect to do? Basically, what do Target cashiers do when they work until (or after) close?

5) Does Target price match? If so is that just a discount you'd put in the same way you'd change a price a customer challenged (but choosing a different reason for why you changed the price)?

Thanks for any help you can offer. I realize when in doubt it's probably best to ask the GSAs or GSTLs my questions, but at this point I'm not even sure who they are or how to find them. Hopefully I'll get more familiar with everyone soon.

1) Your friendly GSTL/GSA will give you ringing up privileges on your number when you start your next shift. Just ask. You will get to pick your own four digit pin.

2) if it's a large discrepancy, call over your GSTL/GSA. They will help you handle it (whether it's calling someone on the salesfloor, checking the price themselves or just telling you to do it).

3) I have no idea about the REDCard kiosks. But don't be afraid to ask the cashier next to you about REDCard questions when they come up.

4) Different LODs will have you doing different things after close: making the front end brand, putting away strays, zoning, etc. When all the guests are gone, ask your GSTL/GSA and they will point you in the right direction.

5) Spot does price match. All price matches are done at guest service, so just direct the guest in that direction with the item. If a guest gets pissy about having to pay twice, ring everything up, put the order on suspend and tell the guest to take the slip up to guest services.

Welcome to The Break Room! Red Card kiosks, huh? Must be a Canadian thing. When in doubt, ask your GSTL for help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back