Archived Abuse of Guest First in Front-End Scheduling

Status
Not open for further replies.
For the past two weeks I have noticed a disturbing shortage in cashier scheduling, and a correlated positively maddening increase in guest first calls. Not just occasionally or even repeatedly, but CONSTANT. At any given moment the GSTL would like to have one (or four) additional team members on register. If you get anywhere near the front, including to clock in/out or take a break, you will be punished with time on the register.

Last night (Saturday) there was ONE scheduled cashier. Today the entire line in the back room was double-parked with pulls that no one had gotten to yet. We are a high volume super target (guessing $250k per week), so this wreks havoc on the whole store.

Some of the consequences:
  • Cart attendant ends up on a register so eventually there are no carts at either door.
  • Sales floor is constantly short a few people, so CAFs often back up throughout the day and a few usually aren't ever finished.
  • No one is able to zone, so the shelves look like crap.
  • Call buttons go unanswered, guest surveys for many departments are constantly poor, and guest complain they can't ever find anyone to help.
  • Redcard sales are usually low (<5 on goal of 15-20) because no one is on the floor to explain it and guests don't want to be slowed down any more by the time they finally reach the front of the line.

It's so bad that everyone constantly ignores guest first requests and tries to avoid getting sucked up to a register, because you end up stuck there for hours, sometimes the rest of your shift. So the GSTL is constantly calling and begging for help.

Why not solve all of these problems by scheduling 1-2 more minimum wage cashiers? We aren't blowing out out sales targets, so the volume should be pretty predictable. They just don't staff enough people on the front end, presumably because they think there are dozens of sales floor team members just standing around waiting to help cashier.

It's not just my Target, because I see the same thing at plenty of others in the area. Is this intentional company wide policy or just an unintended outcome of expecting everyone on the schedule to cashier at the drop of a hat?

Pretty sure for the year—we were close when they started talking about it in December.

Just remember Spots very own slogan....Expect More Pay Less
Haha... yes.

But if there is at least one sales floor team member on register at all times for a whole day, wouldn't everyone be better off with those people doing the jobs they're best at while a redcard ninja cashier worked the register?

Haha... yes.

But if there is at least one sales floor team member on register at all times for a whole day, wouldn't everyone be better off with those people doing the jobs they're best at while a redcard ninja cashier worked the register?
This makes sense to you and me and more than likely it would make sense to most people on this site...but to the powers that be ....not so much :)

Haha... yes.

But that would cost them like $100 bucks a day...that adds up and takes away from bonuses.

For the past two weeks I have noticed a disturbing shortage in cashier scheduling, and a correlated positively maddening increase in guest first calls. Not just occasionally or even repeatedly, but CONSTANT. At any given moment the GSTL would like to have one (or four) additional team members on register. If you get anywhere near the front, including to clock in/out or take a break, you will be punished with time on the register.

Last night (Saturday) there was ONE scheduled cashier. Today the entire line in the back room was double-parked with pulls that no one had gotten to yet. We are a high volume super target (guessing $250k per week), so this wreks havoc on the whole store.

Some of the consequences:
  • Cart attendant ends up on a register so eventually there are no carts at either door.
  • Sales floor is constantly short a few people, so CAFs often back up throughout the day and a few usually aren't ever finished.
  • No one is able to zone, so the shelves look like crap.
  • Call buttons go unanswered, guest surveys for many departments are constantly poor, and guest complain they can't ever find anyone to help.
  • Redcard sales are usually low (<5 on goal of 15-20) because no one is on the floor to explain it and guests don't want to be slowed down any more by the time they finally reach the front of the line.

It's so bad that everyone constantly ignores guest first requests and tries to avoid getting sucked up to a register, because you end up stuck there for hours, sometimes the rest of your shift. So the GSTL is constantly calling and begging for help.

Why not solve all of these problems by scheduling 1-2 more minimum wage cashiers? We aren't blowing out out sales targets, so the volume should be pretty predictable. They just don't staff enough people on the front end, presumably because they think there are dozens of sales floor team members just standing around waiting to help cashier.

It's not just my Target, because I see the same thing at plenty of others in the area. Is this intentional company wide policy or just an unintended outcome of expecting everyone on the schedule to cashier at the drop of a hat?
High volume? 250k/week? That would be sales of $13 million/year - certainly not high volume. I was at a high volume store. The sales were around $250K/DAY.

High volume? 250k/week? That would be sales of $13 million/year - certainly not high volume. I was at a high volume store. The sales were around $250K/DAY.
Maybe a bad estimate on my part... The numbers we were hitting over the holidays were stupid big and I have only been in a few huddles since then.

We did $750k on Black Friday weekend and sales were like $100-$200k per day in December, but now are much lower. We may be closer to $400k per week, but I'm not entirely sure. Sorry for the vague info.

Definitely don't think we're in the $250k per day ballpark, so maybe not a true high volume store... but definitely way higher than a non-super target.

In the slow season (now through May, probably), we do $480k/week (on the low side), and have the same scheduling problems. Never enough cashiers and only 3 people on Salesfloor (pfresh/grocery, electronics, and 1 in softlines, not all day usually). Gotta love 1st/2nd quarter!

Definitely not way higher than non super target. My PFresh store did over 1.5 million black Friday weekend and is doing 600-700k a week right now.

Maybe a bad estimate on my part... The numbers we were hitting over the holidays were stupid big and I have only been in a few huddles since then.

We did $750k on Black Friday weekend and sales were like $100-$200k per day in December, but now are much lower. We may be closer to $400k per week, but I'm not entirely sure. Sorry for the vague info.

Definitely don't think we're in the $250k per day ballpark, so maybe not a true high volume store... but definitely way higher than a non-super target.

BF is not a good indicator of sales volume year round. There are stores that were top in my REGION for sales on BF (about $1mill on BF alone, not counting Saturday) but only maybe a B or A Volume for the rest of the year. A top 50 store in the company is probably doing about 150K to 200K on weekdays and 300K or more on weekends at a minimum right now at our slowest times. By your December estimates (assuming a normal ramp up in Q4 and slow down later), I would guess you are a C or B Volume Target...

Our goal was only 100k today, but we hit it with 3 hours to go, and not counting pharmacy. Not sure if we're A or B still after this year though.

250K a week is not high volume.. A day then yes high volume.. We do $140-300K a day.. $250K is a slow Saturday.
I miss how Target used to be... there was proper staffing, hours, nicer aisles, ect. Target really has come so far down from when we had higher standards, "expect more, pay less" well that definitely is true.... :( I used to be proud about working for Target.

Yep, half our store that is not PTM right now is half empty we can't get product in the store so isles are just flexed messes, and people doing the flexing just really don't care. Sure we printed a label, but we didn't bother to tie it. Clearance is piled places it shouldn't be, no cares. Cause they can't care anymore.

They've been using the Walmart business model with fancier trimmings for a while now so why is it a surprise?
Spot decided it was the only way they could compete in the modern market and instead it has killed what made them special in the first place.
It has also destroyed much of the moral among TMs.

Even Walmart has realized that there were problems with some of the things they were doing.
The CEO promised to have the shelves better stocked and more people on register.

I have done fine with one or two cashiers with minimal back ups this time of year if they are good cashiers, but when they schedule horrible cashiers as closers, I have no choice but to call for constant backups.
I don't like my time. I don't like that once the schedule is done, it isn't reviewed by someone who knows which cashiers can handle closing.
It's one of the top things on my long list of things that bother me.

When I have awful untrained cashiers, it upsets the flow of the whole front end. It means I have no coverage for my breaks. No coverage for guest service breaks or food ave breaks. It means tl has to cover me, so I can cover the breaks, then someone has to cover the tl and so on and so on.
The whole night is spent with everyone covering someone else. And the awful cashiers slowly do their job in a minimal way, constantly wondering what time their breaks are, oblivious to everything that's going on around them and worse, not caring.

Sorry....rant done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back