Accidentally Left Halfway Through Scheduled Shift

Hi everyone,
Today I worked 4 am to about 8:30 am and then instead of clocking out for my lunch, I clocked out and went home. I am absolutely TERRIFIED I will lose my job. I am not sure if anyone would notice (I usually go unnoticed and I don’t think my TL would necessarily question not being able to find me), but if she had noticed that I left early, what would happen? I work OPUs but sometimes I do other things like push, and lately OPUs have not been busy and so I do not think my absence would be noticed. Should I call HR right now and tell them? Would my TL call me? Will I be fired, and how would I know? I have the next two days off of work. I made such a huge mistake and I am just so scared that I will get in trouble. Any advice is appreciated, because I don’t necessarily want to tell my TL I left early if she did not notice. Should I call the store?

Do you think it would be a good idea to call the store today and ask to speak to HR and let them know what happened? And possibly call the store and ask to speak to my TL tomorrow when she is in? I am really worried about being in trouble or losing my job. I feel horrible.

First off, your TL knows. Even if you don't think your TL is paying attention, there is an OPU TM tasked with keeping track of where everyone is. She undoubtedly noticed your absence and notified the TL. As the TM who performs that role at my store, I assure you someone knows when you were supposed to start work, finish work and pretty much everything that you did in between those two times.

Even if your store doesn't do that, an early clock out will get flagged and appear on a report for HR. They'll know that way too.

But, don't worry. You're not going to get jammed up for one attendance mistake. You're just going to get a talking to about not doing it again. Admit to the mistake and apologize for it. Not a big deal.

Admit you screwed up, no drama and there is, they know it, it's not their first rodeo. If there was a valid reason for leaving early you should have gone to your ETL, or TL and said so. No bullshitting, be truthful and honest. Not being so will bite you on the ass.

You won't be fired for it, but you will get a talking to. Also, please don't make that decision yourself. Next time, find your TL and ask first.
OPU may not be busy, but it can absolutely explode on the drop of a dime. And yes- we notice everyone's absences, even if you think we don't.

Hi everyone,
Today I worked 4 am to about 8:30 am and then instead of clocking out for my lunch, I clocked out and went home. I am absolutely TERRIFIED I will lose my job. I am not sure if anyone would notice (I usually go unnoticed and I don’t think my TL would necessarily question not being able to find me), but if she had noticed that I left early, what would happen? I work OPUs but sometimes I do other things like push, and lately OPUs have not been busy and so I do not think my absence would be noticed. Should I call HR right now and tell them? Would my TL call me? Will I be fired, and how would I know? I have the next two days off of work. I made such a huge mistake and I am just so scared that I will get in trouble. Any advice is appreciated, because I don’t necessarily want to tell my TL I left early if she did not notice. Should I call the store?
What? This is under the same category as "I accidentally slept with my brother-in-law." It was a decision. Own it.

Back