Active Shooter Training

Received an email today in Regards to it I assume tss will be conducting it here at the dc or hr as I have no material available for it

I am glad to hear this. It was something we discussed among ourselves following the Walmart shootings. Too many tm's don't question people in the backroom that aren't wearing vendor nametags or will just open the receiving room door if the bell rings. They don't know where all of the exit doors are or what the priorities should be or what they should do. Many have no idea what a gun sounds like. There was a lot of bravado type talk, but ultimately nobody really knew what their response would be. Even with a training, that will depend on the actual situation (even the codes we have are sometimes not called out because tms get flustered in the moment), but somewhere in the back of your head something may click that will save the life of others or yourself.

Not me! I'll be napping behind the Scott towels!!! Wake me when the crisis is over!

I have actually been in an active shooter situation and I did not expect my own reaction. Plan the best you can but remember when it happens you may react differently than bravado while safe makes you believe. More likely than not herd mentality will kick in. You will attach to a large group and run like hell.

All jokes aside, this is what I told my TL.

We can "prepare" all we want. At the end of the day, we don't know how we'll react when our "fight-or-flight" instincts kick in. We're civilians (mostly) and very few of us are combat-trained (police, swat, military, etc.) Once you panic, its very hard to think rationally. It'll be a jarring experience to witness.

Glad you're safe.

Our AP ETL rounded up a bunch of us a couple of weeks ago and just read from a packet that he had received. He stressed that the company will not judge us in the event that this occurs and we decide to run, hide or fight. He simply advised us to pick a plan of action and commit to it! Get familiar with your stores exits/ hiding places in advance of any such attack and if you decide to ‘run’...do so in a zig zag fashion.😜

All jokes aside, this is what I told my TL.

We can "prepare" all we want. At the end of the day, we don't know how we'll react when our "fight-or-flight" instincts kick in. We're civilians (mostly) and very few of us are combat-trained (police, swat, military, etc.) Once you panic, its very hard to think rationally. It'll be a jarring experience to witness.

Glad you're safe.

This! Very well said. And thank you it was very eye opening tbh. During the incident I was in the shooter was even confronted by a civillian who was carryung himself. He confronted the attacker but hesitated because of the age of the shooter. That got him shot 5 times before the "kid" continued on his rampage.
So even though you have a weapon. May be in a safe hiding place. Or whatever you think may be your best plan. Keep in mind that in the moment you may react differently than all your scenarios suggest. And have a plan for that.

Do the people in this thread realize you’re about equally likely to die to a lightning strike in comparison to a mass shooting?

No? You don’t realize that? Well, lol... it’s pretty close to the truth.

Media can drastically alter people’s perceptions of reality. It’s fascinating.

If the national media covered literally every single time someone got struck by lightning (forgetting about the fatal strikes for now)... a significant portion of you would literally be afraid to go outside with even a single dark cloud in the sky.

Back