Archived Ad prep at the jewelry boat?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is anyone on the ad prep team being moved to the jewelry boat to do the ad? I have always done it in the conference room (our signing room is atrociously messy) and now a Sr TL from hardlines has decided to "put his foot down" and move me to the jewelry boat as a "theft deterrent" and to "prevent shortage in jewelry."

I find it extremely annoying and ineffective because I get constantly stopped by guests asking for help, back-ups on the front lanes, and the general lack of space at the boat. It is taking longer to get the ad done and I am running over my scheduled time trying to finish. According to the TLs, this policy has been put in place at several other stores in our district and has worked for them. I am also being told I am not allowed to have a chair or stool behind the boat (although I always had one in the conference room) and all the stooping and bending standing in one spot is murder on my back and legs.

I am strongly considering calling corporate or at least getting a dr's note so I can have a chair but I wanted to know if anyone else is experiencing the same thing at their store.

I want to ask you something just so I understand, a lot of time I don't get what people are trying to say and I see it completely different. So please help me out!
The way I am taking this is that you are now going to be on the floor, available for guests, and expected to do like every other damn team member in the store and that has you butthurt so you want to whine and cry about it. I am reading that correctly?

Let's compare the two.
Conference room - sit down, no supervision, no guest service - so in other words not doing your job.
Jewelry boat - Theft deterrent, available for guests, having to stand up (the horror) - so in other words doing your job.
Yeah you should call them and tell that your store expects you to actually work for the paycheck you get. WTF!

EDIT - I felt so strongly I had to edit this in. That TL needs to go to jail for this ****. Real life jail.

Lol it sounds kinda silly but with the new vibe rollout i think its a great idea why should a tm get to sit in the back and hide from guests. Being at the jewlery boat you can interact with guests!

not happening at my store. ours in done the team lead office. it suggested for the Op to talk to their tl(plano or pricing) or etl on this matter. i would talk to your bosses first, before calling the hotline.

I can understand it both ways... I'm with Hardlinesmaster on this. Talk to your TL and probably someone else up the ladder in-store, too, about allowing for a little more time to prep for ad. You're doing more than just ad prep when you're at the jewelry boat and that should be taken into account.

When I did the ad a million years ago, I did it in the TL office.
They (The old ETL OP) wanted to put me at Guest Service and the STL was like, "Yeah that'll happen"

So long story short you're there to do the ad, not handle guests at the same time.
What Stupidrules (not sure if he was trolling or not) said had me prettyyyyy pissed off. Her focus is the ad, she should not be with guests unless 1) She finishes early and goes to the Sales Floor 2) Her TL tempoarily asks her to help out on the Sales floor.

Using the logic stupidrules used, *again, not sure if trolling/sarcastic/just an ass* the same could be said for the Operator who sits, away from supervision, helping one or two guests between phone calls...

Last edited:
when you are doing ad prep it does not account into the allocated hours for guest service tasks. it also risks the next week's ad getting lost/stolen/etc. once people figure out what she is doing over there you better believe you'll have the guest trolls out in force asking what is on ad next week.

when you are doing ad prep it does not account into the allocated hours for guest service tasks. it also risks the next week's ad getting lost/stolen/etc. once people figure out what she is doing over there you better believe you'll have the guest trolls out in force asking what is on ad next week.
ohhh yeaaaah. i didn't think of this. the second a guest asks "oh whatcha doing over there" there will a handful of regular guests trying to take a peek at the ad. UGH.

I remember being harrassed by TL's and TM's when I had the Black Friday ad. Omg lol.

Retreat! but yeah, talk to someone in your store before calling Integrity. It would seem like youre calling the fire department over a fire the size of a match.

I've done the ad a number of times and have to say unless they give her twice as much time to get it done, this is not going to go well.
You have to be detail orientated and organized or you are going to make twice the work for the folks on Sunday morning.
I appreciate their efforts to make customer service the first priority and reduce the problem with theft but this is going to make the process take considerably longer if it's going to be done right.
As to the standing up part, I usually do the scanning in standing up but I'm not the average so I'd suggest maybe getting a higher surface to work off so you won't have to stoop.
Wouldn't call Integrity, this is well within the options available to the ETL's.
If you have a medical reason for needing to sit and a doctor's note that's another matter.
If you do than Spot is pretty careful about making sure to get the proper accommodations.

I was just being a smart ass is all. If there's one thing I hate at work it's dealing with those idiots called guests. Our ad process has been trash the last 1.5 years from the prep to setup to audits. I would have zero problem with them offstage prepping the ad, including simple things like making fixture signs, getting a sign up on an aisle even if the pog doesn't match (GASP!) or even writing down what endcap the 11x11s go on (instead of leaving them in a big pile and not putting them up).

THIS. first thing i thought of... can't wait until she's prepping BF or 4 day... or any 4th quarter ad for that matter. maybe she needs to make it a confidentiality issue.

Is anyone on the ad prep team being moved to the jewelry boat to do the ad? I have always done it in the conference room (our signing room is atrociously messy) and now a Sr TL from hardlines has decided to "put his foot down" and move me to the jewelry boat as a "theft deterrent" and to "prevent shortage in jewelry."

I find it extremely annoying and ineffective because I get constantly stopped by guests asking for help, back-ups on the front lanes, and the general lack of space at the boat. It is taking longer to get the ad done and I am running over my scheduled time trying to finish. According to the TLs, this policy has been put in place at several other stores in our district and has worked for them. I am also being told I am not allowed to have a chair or stool behind the boat (although I always had one in the conference room) and all the stooping and bending standing in one spot is murder on my back and legs.

I am strongly considering calling corporate or at least getting a dr's note so I can have a chair but I wanted to know if anyone else is experiencing the same thing at their store.

Ad prep is confidential info- in order to be organized and accurate - best done offstage.

LOL you guys all act like the ads aren't scanned and posted on the internet multiple days before the ad starts, and sometimes weeks ahead in the case of black friday.

When I did ad, it was offstage, upstairs in the TL office. It used to be a dayside thing, then went to overnight when I did it (and they thought having a "team" do it was a good idea, NOT), and now it's at 4am. A couple flow TMs take care of it (as far as I know, since I'm gone).

When it went to 4am, they had the person go to the GSTL office, but that was a mess after awhile since there's really not a lot of space to spread it out and the GSTLs are in and out of their office so much, so now it's back in the TL office. I can't imagine trying to do it on the floor - I was annoyed enough trying to prep ad and help the truck overnights.

so when im there to do pog, im there to do pog and not anything else. dont ask me to answer kiosks, dont ask to me do back up, nothing....., same could apply with any specialty team, one person job is not more important than another, get over it. at the end of the day halping guests, and providing backup is in everyones core roles and duties, and often times reflected in reviews. why is fair or someone doing ad to not have to stop doing what they are doing, but get someone from pog to stop and do it? makes no sense.

so when im there to do pog, im there to do pog and not anything else. dont ask me to answer kiosks, dont ask to me do back up, nothing....., same could apply with any specialty team, one person job is not more important than another, get over it. at the end of the day halping guests, and providing backup is in everyones core roles and duties, and often times reflected in reviews. why is fair or someone doing ad to not have to stop doing what they are doing, but get someone from pog to stop and do it? makes no sense.

not saying that at all, but i will say that if your ptl were to schedule you to reset the checklanes at 8am, he/she'd be an idiot because it'd be a waste of payroll. same principle. use your tm wisely to increase productivity---there's a time and place for everything. while i think the signing person should respond to all boxes, calls for backups, etc. having them staged at the jewelry boat is silly. the fitting room may work, depending on your volume/set up. but how do you keep things neat and out of guests view? if we have anything sitting on our boats, our stl freaks out. we have a tm who does the ad in one shift, so it would not impact that much. how often are ad people scheduled in other stores?

Another suggestion is, to have that hl-stl do the ad prep for once & see what happens.

I actually made my ETL-GE/SL and STL do ad prep because I was getting flack as to the missing signs. I made them do it, in the hours that I was allotted for ad prep so they could see what it's like. The Team member I have can get ad prep down in 5 hours, that big bundle and the TPC that deliver Wednesday. Both of them got it done in 5 hours and thought they had one up on me until I told them that there were two of them (so 10 hours altogether) and the 100's of errors they made.... Then they realized what it takes.

Ad prep should confidential, YES ads are leaked but stores should still treat it as sensitive information. Our ad Prep is done off stage, but if my ad prep per is in a good position he will support additional cashier calls.

I am interested how the 5 mid week ads are going to go this year. Going to be soaking up ALOT of extra payroll to prep and set those this year..... ugh..........

The difference is that POG actually happens on the salesfloor. Ad Prep happens off-stage. Cash office doesn't come out for backup cashier every five minutes. Their hours don't account for it. And no, its not the same as getting done early and coming to the floor. Ours in done in the TL office. and while they might not be helping guests they do cover TSC occasionally so that is more than equal enough for me. I mean, by that logic, then all stores should have flow start at 8am. I mean, really its more people to help guests on the floor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back