Archived Adjacency Calendar Hours

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can anyone explain to me what the estimated POG Set hours on the Adjacency calendar actually include?

Is this JUST the estimated hours to physically 'set' the Planos?
Or does it include hours to audit, implement, plan/organize, troubleshoot, TGT Help?

I'm the PTL for a brand new store (only open for 1 month). Hours have just been drastically cut. We have an estimated 50hr POG set next week and I only have one TM scheduled in for 8 hrs (total for the WEEK). They are using my 40hrs plus her 8hr shift to cover the 50hr POG set. Basically this means that I will be setting ALL of the POGS on my own this week. Does this sound right? I'm trying to build a case for more hours for my team. At this point, I'm not understanding how this will give me ANY time to plan & organize for future transitions and POG sets.

Good luck with building your case.
I once overheard my PTL having the same argument and he was told that estimated hours were one thing, while available hours were the only thing that counted.
If he needed 380 hours and got only have 150, it does not matter.
You must make do.
That's why they made him the boss.
Figure it out.
Or else.

From what I was told the hours includes everything (set, clean, push, audit, etc). PTL hours come out of the presentation workload hours. If it was my store and there were only 50 hours of work, then they would schedule it the same as your store.

As a PTL you may want to take one day the plan everything out. That includes stapling, sorting, writing locations, and planning out who will set what. Then set planos for the rest of the week.

Usually the STL will get a monthy calendar that gives them the estimated workload hours and that is what they use to create the store adjusted hours for that week. Our store is usually shorted 30-50 hours a week. This is mostly due to planos being added or hours for the planos increasing. Also the revision hours are usually not updated until the week before.

Since you are a new store you probably already did most of the workload for next week when they built your store. Our store is setting Domestics, Videogames, Accessories, and checklanes. Some areas in the store you can make up a lot of time because the hours are overly estimated. For example checklanes I believe was supposed to be over 100 hours and we did it with 6 people in one day.

True, some areas do take a shorter time. But some will take longer. For example, the week before last when switching 3 aisles in HBA. Try moving eyecare, first-aid, digestive care, etc. all while the store is open, cause we don't come in till 7:30 now. And, tell me if I am wrong, but you get the hours to "set" the aisles, not switch them out. You have to remove all the pushers, clean the shelves, etc. It really was a nightmare. At 4:45, I told my PTL I was done. The place looked like a bomb went off. No way could it be shopped.

I think it is a broken system when you get conflicting directions. Corporate sends you adjacencies that state, "L'Oreal will take 23.5 hours to set." But then in reality, the STL says you only get 11 hours to do it. I finally quit doing the revisions last fall. Remember the week of Nov 4 when there were over 100 hours of revisions? I was scheduled 40 hours, 9 to push truck and 31 to do revisions. All week I kept telling whoever would listen that I was behind. No one cared till Friday. Then my STL freaks out and tries to help.

Can anyone explain to me what the estimated POG Set hours on the Adjacency calendar actually include?

Is this JUST the estimated hours to physically 'set' the Planos?
Or does it include hours to audit, implement, plan/organize, troubleshoot, TGT Help?

I'm the PTL for a brand new store (only open for 1 month). Hours have just been drastically cut. We have an estimated 50hr POG set next week and I only have one TM scheduled in for 8 hrs (total for the WEEK). They are using my 40hrs plus her 8hr shift to cover the 50hr POG set. Basically this means that I will be setting ALL of the POGS on my own this week. Does this sound right? I'm trying to build a case for more hours for my team. At this point, I'm not understanding how this will give me ANY time to plan & organize for future transitions and POG sets.

it includes planning, clearing, setting (from scratch), pushing, pulling, but not backstock or clearance.
48 hours for a 50 hour set? shouldn't be a problem. the twt hours are relatively consistent if you track them by pog.

As a PTL you may want to take one day the plan everything out. That includes stapling, sorting, writing locations, and planning out who will set what. Then set planos for the rest of the week.

i will say that any ptl who takes an entire day of their week to plan, sort, whatever, is severely wasting time. no reason the ptl shouldn't be out sweating with their team on a daily basis. the planning does not constitute a full day's workload EVER with the exception of remodel stores if you're running both teams. My pet peeve---lazy ptls who think their job doesn't include setting, just leading. i've trained 4 new ptls over the last 3 months, and that's what i'm getting. lazy folks who think it's their job to spend all day telling ADULTS how to do their job. an expensive babysitter.

Last edited:
It really depends on what you are setting. You really need to have an STL that knows how long things should take. As previously mentioned somethings you can blow out of the water in terms of set times. I am talking 18 hour planograms done in 6 hours by 1 person etc... Other times it may say you need 4 hours to do this and it really takes you 8 or 9..... Its important that your STL or whoever your ETL is that they actually listen and fight for you to get more hours when needed. It sucks for the people on the planogram team if the store only gives you 50 for the week as they are not stuck working in other work centers or shifts they normally wont work... My STL would normally give us more hours to get ahead for future weeks... If your doing something easy for those 50 hours you might just have to suck it up and do the work loud yourself for the week. If you honestly feel it cant be done make sure you communicate with the proper people and make them aware so at the end of the week you are not standing there with an uncompleted workload and no one there to finish it.

I've got the STL and ETLs who think that I should be doing a full forty hours of setting a week, plus leading the pricing team AND doing my ten hours (or so) of actual PTL leadership, i.e. planning, presentation reports to the DTL, meetings, doing the schedule, doing the follow-up, and being called all over the store for SEPs (Somebody Else's Problems). I can't get them to understand that sometimes I HAVE to be off the floor working on the computer, and that takes away from plano time. Heaven forbid I step off the floor to do something. They even gave me a rolling desk so that I could be with my team at all times! The STL thought I would use it to roll around the store every hour (like the LOD does) to check on my teams, and also be with plano setting the entire time. She can't really make up her mind. And my STL is prior logistics, so while she understands the pull/push times, she doesn't get the set times, so when they are off, as they have been a LOT lately, she thinks it's my team's fault for not being fast enough and I should coach them.

The rolling desk. Is that where you put the small shelf on the shopping cart?

i typically spend 2-3 hours on Monday getting my plans finalized for the week, doing stapling, sorting through the no loc sale signs from Monday, and doing pre-ties. I send a daily email with updates and I send a weekly email with the next two weeks transitions. On Fridays I make a plan for the next week and communicate it to my ETL. that's all I give to "paperwork" the rest of the time I am setting, coaching, teaching, pulling, pushing, fixing other peoples problems and anything else. O and my STL takes normally 40-50 hours off what the adj cal. says except for some weeks like this one where he took over 100 :)

Oh, no, I got a full-size bin that's half cubbies and half open area to put boxes and such. There's a flat desk surface over the bins and various depth pockets in the middle, which I fill with label strip holders, a broom and dustpan, trash bags, and a short one for my coffee cup...I've got the cubbies full of setting supplies, extra labels, peg hooks, fastbacks, price cut and clearance labels and every other little thing that crops up as necessary, including office supplies and tools. I push that around to major transition areas. My STL had visions of me tooling around the entire store with that thing all day, going from transitions to pricing team, but I just park it with my team and when I need to carry only a few things around I use a shopping basket.

I've got the STL and ETLs who think that I should be doing a full forty hours of setting a week, plus leading the pricing team AND doing my ten hours (or so) of actual PTL leadership, i.e. planning, presentation reports to the DTL, meetings, doing the schedule, doing the follow-up, and being called all over the store for SEPs (Somebody Else's Problems). I can't get them to understand that sometimes I HAVE to be off the floor working on the computer, and that takes away from plano time. Heaven forbid I step off the floor to do something. They even gave me a rolling desk so that I could be with my team at all times! The STL thought I would use it to roll around the store every hour (like the LOD does) to check on my teams, and also be with plano setting the entire time. She can't really make up her mind. And my STL is prior logistics, so while she understands the pull/push times, she doesn't get the set times, so when they are off, as they have been a LOT lately, she thinks it's my team's fault for not being fast enough and I should coach them.

go to mysupport and print off the communication regarding what your pog team is actually responsible for as far as set times/assignments go. I know all stls say it doesn't matter, that you have to do what you have to do, but at least you can cover bp with the stl and let them know what you are really supposed to be doing as far as your workload estimates.

I don't think it's the set times being off so much (except the macaroni aisle lol) as hq allowing stls to adjust their own forecasts. my team got cut 150 hours this week for a 300 hour workload. barely finished (still had to set hardlines salesplanners today) and the stl is already planning on cutting august week 1 (toys reset) by 110 hours, cutting 60 from week two, and leaving my team with 20 hours (for the entire team) in august week 3, the week before the beauty reset. so basically, my team rocks, and they do all their own pulls/bs/clearance/etc, but the reward for them busting their tails and helping everyone else out with truck, instocks, smart huddles, fdc, etc. is that their hours get cut in order for the flow team (and salesfloor TL) to stand around and talk to each other. sure, pog get tons of recognition, but the leadership team is slowly killing my team's morale. they'll be dead by q4. it disgusts me, and I have been on a coaching rampage with the early am teams. if they're standing there talking, they're wasting my payroll and getting coached. lods goofing in the huddle and wasting my time? I know I can't coach, but I darn sure walked into their meeting and gave them an earful about wasting my payroll. not to mention spending tons of hours on srtl as LODs. last time I checked, we had plenty of etls drinking coffee that could run things. it's not necessary to have a srtl for every LOD shift.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back