Archived Advice for a new ETL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Everyone!

I was just hired on as an ETL-AP. I start business college in a few days, and was looking for some advice. What is business college like? Do you have any tips on what YOUR best ETLs have done in the past? And is there anything I might be able to do in my area specifically? I guess spot has been kinda vague in the description of my roles, even when I tried to peg things down.

Also, I am not one of those fresh out of college ETLs without any work experience. I have over 5 years managerial experience at Apple, so I know retail, even the ugly side of it :).

Thanks guys!

Last edited:
It's recommended that you don't mention your market, for privacy reasons.

Your position could change depending on your stl. Search our threads for more info under etl or business college.. We have a few etl's who are on the forum. Business college will show best practice & operations of spot. At the store, you will partnered with an etl. But dont forget the tl's & tm's, they can help you. Respect, willingness to listen/learn & teamwork will make you successful.
Welcome!

Last edited:
Help out your TM's!!!! There is nothing worse than an etl that sits in their office during their entire shift. The ETL'S at my store that help with pulls, zone, do abandon, etc.. get more work done for them than the others that just sit in the office.

Run screaming into the night. Save yourself.

Ha! Thanks for the advice. But it seems that many kids this generation complain too much about having to work hard. I know that it is not always ideal to work until midnight or have to wake up at 2 am. But that's why they call it work. My parents and my grandparents, worked for where they are today. And I think that our generation just wants things handed to them, especially ETLs, new college grads thinking that their degree entitles them to something more than opening the door for their position. They don't realize, that little piece of paper merely got you the interview. If you are not willing to put forth the effort at your job (regardless where it is), then of course you are going to hate it, and possibly get termed. Just food for thought, sorry for the rant.

Because you've done retail and are looking for more specific suggestions I was kind of hesitant to jump in but you also said you wanted to know what the best ETL's I've worked with have been like so here goes;

1) Be on every team, plano, flow, price change, adset, all of them, even if it's just for a few days. You will learn how important they all are and get to know the people. They will respect you more if they see you working next to them. The bosses I had that did this had everyone's respect.

2) Don't talk down to people. I know this sounds like a given but some of the people you work with don't seem to get it. You will have people who don't speak English very well but who are highly educated in their own country. You will be supervising veterans of Iraq and teenagers who have seen friends killed in front of them in the streets. Every person has a story and needs to be treated with respect.

3) Work to peoples strengths rather then attacking them for their weaknesses. Everybody has things they aren't very good at, mine is spelling and grammar (which is why so many of my posts get edited, often four of five times). If you only hammer people for what they do wrong, you will never get anything useful out of them. Figure out what they do well and push them hard to develop that skill.

4) Protect your people from the rain of crap from above. You can't keep it all from coming down on them but do your best.

5) Stop and listen, then follow up. If you forget to follow up, say you are sorry. There is nothing wrong with a sincere apology.

6) Transparency is a good thing. Letting people know what is going on and why helps them have a stake in store.

7) Eat meals with the workers now and then. You'll find out all kinds of things you didn't know by only eating with the other E's.

Last edited:
Hey Everyone!

I was just hired on as an ETL-AP. I start business college in a few days, and was looking for some advice. What is business college like? Do you have any tips on what YOUR best ETLs have done in the past? And is there anything I might be able to do in my area specifically? I guess spot has been kinda vague in the description of my roles, even when I tried to peg things down.

Also, I am not one of those fresh out of college ETLs without any work experience. I have over 5 years managerial experience at Apple, so I know retail, even the ugly side of it :).

Thanks guys!

Get to know the leadership expectations!!! Find out your win and opp, and work on them... You just need to remember that everyone has their wins and opps, and as long as you are improving on them its all that matters! Target doesn't expect anyone to be perfect, but you need to be able to speak to your own opps and what kinds of things you want to do to improve on them!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back