Advice for burnout?

TLSpot

Keeper of the Beans
Working through the pandemic has left every other team lead I know really burnt out and on edge. I have some time off coming up, so does anyone have good advice for resetting and maintaining not being burnt out as a leader? I know good routines at work, good self care routines, and setting boundaries can help, but anything specifically with those or anything else? I’m open to any advice at this point...

Wine and Battlebots work for me, lol.

Binge some tv, eat tasty snacks, stretch, deep breaths - I'm also not a leader but I was at my old job and I know how hard it is to turn off your brain outside of work.

Take a break from news/social media while you are gone. Try to spend time in nature. Maybe take a yoga or relaxation class on Grokker--its free and can't hurt. Eat really well--treat yourself to a couple of indulgent meals if you cook. (Or order out if there is somewhere suitable). You could try journaling--maybe about the last year to kind of get it out of your system.

Hobbies/friends for sure. It can be tough to make the time for hobbies and not just crumple into a ball to recover during your time off. Maybe think about what your concept of a person with a good work/life balance is like, and try doing that to see if it helps?

You don't have to be a leader to feel burned out. This past year has taken a toll on all of us. Take pleasure in your hobby; if you don't have one start one. Get exercise: I walk several miles a day. Try to get sufficient sleep and try not to spend too much time watching news media. Look on the bright side; we are essential workers, and have had jobs over the last year!

I’m burned out too. I still love the job and the company but I just can’t find the passion. I transferred to a store to a new region recently with a killer team and a good culture (last store was good too), and I got a spark back for a couple weeks but it’s back to a zoned out grind everyday. Take some time off, I know I need to.

I wanted to give an update... I took a two week vacation (I hadn’t in the year I’ve been a TL) and got a couple of my medications adjusted and things are much better! Thank you all for your encouragement and advice!! I’m definitely learning how to set better boundaries with work now.

Working through the pandemic has left every other team lead I know really burnt out and on edge. I have some time off coming up, so does anyone have good advice for resetting and maintaining not being burnt out as a leader? I know good routines at work, good self care routines, and setting boundaries can help, but anything specifically with those or anything else? I’m open to any advice at this point...
I read an article about “burn out” that usual comes from working 105% which is amazing! But at the same time you could be putting a lot of work into small things that do matter to you in your role but won’t get recognize from your superior. And If your leader isn’t a micro manager I’m sure there’s plenty of things you do they don’t notice and things they do notice and love. Focus on the things they love and you get recognized for and less on your personal “beliefs” of success. So work at an 80% and not 100%. Just how I’m sure there are leaders who are glorified yet you feel they don’t work as hard!

Back